• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hidden Trouser Pockets

otterhound

Reaction score
I recently had some MTM odd trousers made by Q Clothier in Dallas. I thought they did a lovely job, and am one happy customer.

One surprise they added (I didn't request it) was a roomy hidden trouser pocket, accessible right along the waistline, as shown below. My fingers have slid into the pocket in the photo.

Is this usual practice in the MTM/Bespoke world? And if so, what might one carry in this pocket?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently had some MTM odd trousers made by Q Clothier in Dallas. I thought they did a lovely job, and am one happy customer.

One surprise they added (I didn't request it) was a roomy hidden trouser pocket, accessible right along the waistline, as shown below. My fingers have slid into the pocket in the photo.

Is this usual practice in the MTM/Bespoke world? And if so, what might one carry in this pocket?

It's a coin pocket and most of my trousers have them, but I have never used it and probably never will.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually carry 3 or 4 gold sovereigns in mine in case I'm captured behind enemy lines. They are useful for bartering.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually carry 3 or 4 gold sovereigns in mine in case I'm captured behind enemy lines. They are useful for bartering.

I assume you're joking, since it's pretty well established that the gold sovereigns should go in the hidden storage compartment inside the heels of one's shoes.

(Richard Reid has much for which to answer.)

Diamonds, of course, can be carried inside one's belt.

otterhound

Reaction score
I'd never be able to get coins out of these pockets, too deep. Maybe a derringer.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you're joking, since it's pretty well established that the gold sovereigns should go in the hidden storage compartment inside the heels of one's shoes.

(Richard Reid has much for which to answer.)

Diamonds, of course, can be carried inside one's belt.

Shoes are a good place but then where would one hide one's tape recorder?

For real buying power, especially if traveling by train, one can hide 20 sovereigns each in the straps of one's SAB case.

"It's a standard kit."

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoes are a good place

And the weight of the gold sovereigns in the heel permits one to employ a poison shoe spike with that much more authority.

where would one hide one's tape recorder?
A nice reel-to-reel tape recorder can be hidden perfectly well inside a camera. Preferably, a quality, German-made TLR. Because anything smaller than 2 1/4" is just a miniature format.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's a coin pocket and most of my trousers have them, but I have never used it and probably never will.  

I think a coin pocket is different. That's a pocket put on the outside of trousers just below the waistband. The OP (I think) is talking about the hidden pocket that's sometimes put into the waistband.

Some of my bespoke trousers have them. I don't know if they're standard, but any custom tailor can probably put them in for you. I've always thought it's a nice way to hide cash if you're traveling abroad, but I can't imagine using it for any other purpose.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think a coin pocket is different. That's a pocket put on the outside of trousers just below the waistband. The OP (I think) is talking about the hidden pocket that's sometimes put into the waistband.

Gotcha. I thought he was talking about the coin pocket on the outside the waistband...didn't read it closely and missed "my fingers are inside the pocket". Fail.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch pocket, bespoke tailors would normally ask if the client wanted it.

However appearing without request suggests the trousers may have been made in an Asian sweat shop. Most trousers in some parts of Asia tend to have them.

Very useful.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also assume it's a watch pocket. Like @dieworkwear I have a couple of pairs of bespoke trousers with it present, until I noticed and put a stop to that. It's useless. Furthermore, unless the trouser maker is paying attention, there's a good chance that he will sew suspender buttons (if you've asked for such) to the inside of the pocket and not to the actual waistband on the trousers, thus rendering the suspender button gravely compromised in its job.

I have eliminated all such things in my trousers now I know to look out for them. No belt loops, no watch or coin pockets, no "pockets within a pocket", and no rear pockets, either.

dan'l

Reaction score
^ The trousers I've had made by my HK tailors all have this hidden pocket, but like @Andy57 mentioned above, the suspender buttons are sometimes located in the pocket, which I dislike. The trousers from my Italian tailors, on the other hand, have the pockets on the outside, so they are more like watch/coin pockets.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
that is an odd pocket.
hidden to carry cash or notes from your lover, drugs?

not a watch pkt, which is on the outside just under the waistband
nor a change pocket whichis sewn inside the right front pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads