Hidden Shoelace knot?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator Sartoris, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Sator Sartoris

Sator Sartoris Well-Known Member

I notice on a lot of shoe display pictures the shoelace knot is hidden. Can you actually wear your shoe like that regularly or is it for show?

2. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

I think it's just for display. Someone else posted the following link, which I found incredibly helpful:
    Shoe Lacing Methods

3. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

It's a display technique. Wearing your shoelaces that way wouldn't be very comfortable or adjustable.

4. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

I used this method on my Speedcats for a few months without much trouble. No discomfort and it was easy enough to adjust.

5. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Sorry to revive a thread from '06 but I was curious.

Is there any downside to using these on formal shoes while wearing them (like Aldens or AE's)? Not so much the comfort but could it do anything to the leather after a while? Stretch it and make a bulge?

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I assume you're talking about Display Shoe Lacing? I wore some suede shoes like this for a while, and I agree with the website they were harder to tighten. Also, they were hard to untie because the knot was down under the vamp. I wore them like these because there were only 4 pairs of holes, I thought it looked weird with my weird combination of Criss Cross Lacing and Over Under Lacing (basically Criss Cross, but with bottom bar outside instead of inside). I have since moved to true Criss Cross Lacing, and I did notice that there are marks in the suede where the lacing using to be, but I think that's true anytime you change lacing patterns.