Hidden Button Downs?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 22, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

Are these considered as casual as button down collars? I just came across some and was thinking of picking one up but i wasn't sure how casual they are, i really don't need any more casual shirts. Can they be worn with suits? Or should they only be worn with sport jackets?

2. Eric

Eric Senior member

Since your tie covers that portion of your shirt, I don't see why they wouldn't be good to wear with a suit, but whats the point of them if the tie is gonna cover them anyway.  

I like to see buttons, I don't really know why, I guess it seems more classic or traditional.  I've seen quite a few SB overcoats these days with hidden buttons, and I can't stand the look, for me buttons are a necessary detail.

Buttons are a nice detail on a garment, hidding them just seems like an attempt to be trendy on the part of the designer and the person wearing the garment.  Casual or Formal, I would stay away from hidden buttons.

*Well I completely misread the original post. Button down collars are definetly more casual, and can be worn with casual blazers, but I don't see it being a dressy item at all, and like Roy, I would hesitate to wear a tie with them.

Eric

3. Roy

Roy Senior member

I don't like hidden buttons. Either it should be a normal button down for casual use. Or it should be a shirt with baleines/collar stays.

4. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

I haven't tried hidden button down collar. I am willing to try it, but I am not expecting to like it.

I do not see the point. With collar stays any collar ussually stays where it should be. Why do you have to affix it to the shirt with a button?

I do like the look of button down collars on shirts, but it is just because I like the buttons and the rolled (casual) look in the collar. If I wanted the collar to look very straight and plain I would just get a regular collar.

5. Roy

Roy Senior member

Often I see people wearing a button-down with a tie. For some reason that really bugs me.

6. Tom

Tom Senior member

I have several "tab" collars, the collar buttons are hidden, which basically makes them a pain to button, and one of them was ruined when the dry-cleaner pressed the shirt while buttoned. I'd stick w stays.

-Tom

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

People on this thread are discussing two different things.

Half are discussing tab collars.

The other half, including the original poster, are discussing button down collars that have a piece of fabric - the top layer of the collar - that covers the buttons that you use to button down the collar, so that they cannot be seen.

Tab collars should be considered just as formal as non-tab collars and of course can be worn with ties. Button down collars are not formal and most people believe they should not be worn with a tie. These "hidden" button-downs are, I suppose, slightly less informal than that but not by much. I own one and would not wear it with a tie. It is an interesting detail. I wear it casually.

8. demeis

demeis Senior member

Button down are supposed to be more comfortable cause there is more flexablility in the collar and they are not as rigid.

9. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

Hidden button downs are a pain to button, noticably more trouble than the "regular" button downs. It seems they're more trouble the older the shirt gets or the tighter your collar becomes, too (ahem).

10. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I don't agree that button down collars should not be worn with a tie. I don't wear them with suits, but will occasionally wear one with a tie and sport coat.

Hidden button down collars are IMHO a solution in search of a problem. I've owned a few and really don't like them. They don't roll like a proper button down, yet without collar stays they lack the support to sit flat.