• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HickeyStyle suits?

ingraman

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Apparently the Hickey Freeman youth line over at http://www.hickeystyle.com/ is having a big sale. Does anyone know the quality of these suits? Are they fully canvassed or fused?
 

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
10,448
Reaction score
75
They are fused, and the materials are not that great. I'm a think 38 (probably more of a 37L), and I'd wear a 40 in Hickey. I'd hesitate to pay what they want, even at this sale price, without the chance to try the stuff on.
 

dusty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
4,859
Reaction score
20
Anybody else have thoughts on these?
 

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
12,052
Reaction score
867
I dont see a point in spending $400 on these when you could buy some much better stuff for around the same price.

Also if you plan on purchasing without trying them on you may want to try some of the online stores associated with SF as they sell pretty good brands for a little less to a little more than $400.
 

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
12,234
Reaction score
227
wow, that's a pretty deep discount, with nearly all sizes available.

I like the way they look on the model....have never seen them IRL to have any opinion one way or another, but at that price I don't think it's a huge risk
 

Lino

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Get Smart
wow, that's a pretty deep discount, with nearly all sizes available. I like the way they look on the model....have never seen them IRL to have any opinion one way or another, but at that price I don't think it's a huge risk
And are they jackets/suits fused or full canvased? From the starting price I'd expect half or full-canvas. Any retailer—or manufacturer—selling fused suits for over $1,000 is just wrong in my book.
 

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
12,234
Reaction score
227
I would risk your next years' paychecks those are all fused. The 1,000 full retail price range these days gets you fused. Even up to $1500 range (think Etro)
 

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
12,052
Reaction score
867
If you dont mind a quick hijack...

What about Ralph Lauren (Blue Label)? I can get myself a two button navy for just under $400 (original price $1095), and I'm curious to know the worksmanship (not expecting anything grand but im hoping for decent feedback)
 

Lino

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I would risk your next years' paychecks those are all fused. The 1,000 full retail price range these days gets you fused. Even up to $1500 range (think Etro)

I'm thinking Zegna and Canali in the $1-2k range, they are not fused.

Though, I have seen others that are over $1k and fused, and I think in those cases you are paying for the name on the label, which is not a good value in my opinion.
 

VMan

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2003
Messages
5,105
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by Lino
I'm thinking Zegna and Canali in the $1-2k range, they are not fused.

Though, I have seen others that are over $1k and fused, and I think in those cases you are paying for the name on the label, which is not a good value in my opinion.


The Zegna suits which retail in the $1000-1500 range (IIRC) are fused.

I think the mainline Zegna suits, which are canvassed, start a bit above $2K these days.

Canali are a great value if you are willing to spend the full retail price ($1200-$1600) and unwilling to look around for a sale. They are even a better value at half off, which is common.
 

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 7, 2002
Messages
10,503
Reaction score
1,819
Originally Posted by Jodum5
If you dont mind a quick hijack...

What about Ralph Lauren (Blue Label)? I can get myself a two button navy for just under $400 (original price $1095), and I'm curious to know the worksmanship (not expecting anything grand but im hoping for decent feedback)

The Blue Label you are looking at is half-canvassed. Made by Corneliani, so the cut is flattering if you are young and slim. The higher end Blue Label (inside label looks a little different, retail around $2295) is fully canvassed. The Chevy Chase store (Friendship Heights metro stop) has a few on sale for around $900, IIRC. I've seen them go as low as $720.
 

dusty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
4,859
Reaction score
20
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Also if you plan on purchasing without trying them on you may want to try some of the online stores associated with SF as they sell pretty good brands for a little less to a little more than $400.

Examples (for a 36)?
 

nomovement

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
270
Reaction score
0
wow-there is absolutely 0 info to be had on that hickey website. good luck..
 

modsquad

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
311
Reaction score
0
I have tried this line, at a trunk show at the store Everard here in DC, which sells classic stuff with some fashion forward twists. It was over a year ago but I remember not being blown away. Hickey-Freeman's idea of slim fit is not Hedi Slimane's idea of slim fit. That said, these suits are a great buy at 75% off and I ordered what I could in 40R and 40L. Three hundred twenty eight dollars is a perfectly reasonable price for even a mediocre a fused suit and these are certainly better than that. They are on the slim side, made by a reputable company and everything is returnable. Too good not to at least try on.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 281 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,308
Messages
9,231,566
Members
193,790
Latest member
dorothyJessica
Top