• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey vs. RL Blue Label vs Armani Collezioni

noVA99

Reaction score
saw a Hickey Freeman suit today, however it had no sleeve buttons (had thread "X" where the buttons go) and the double vents were threaded closed...also had the thread visible in the shoulders as well......was this a MTM suit that never got picked up by the original buyer?

anyway, I saw this suit for $599, I can snag it for about $420...3 button, dark navy blue...saw a RL Blue Label Made in Italy, grey pinstripe for $599, and a Armani Collezioni navy 2 button for $599....all fit me well

I did my search on here Armani is the red headed step-child that so many love to beat on....I'm thinking that would be the last choice....so about the other two, is a
Blue Label a good deal at $599??

sweisman

Reaction score
The Blue label, seems like an average deal, considering they retail for $1,195 most of the time. 50% off isn't bad if you like it, but they do come down a little lower. The Armani does sound like a good deal, at least price-wise. They do take a beating on this forum, and although they may not be of the same quality as those mentioned often that we all love, the fabrics are nicer than average and at $599 probably worth it. I personally don't like HF so much due to the cuts being larger, so I will forgo an opinion there. Good luck with whichever you chose.

noVA99

Reaction score
the Armani fits a little snug I guess i have to up one in size. The Hickey fits fine, the RL fits fine.

so whats the deal with the Hivkey having not sleeve buttons and the threaded "X" on the sleeves and on the dual vents?? Was this a MTM suit that never got picked up?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hickey Freeman suits typically have sewn sleeve buttons, but the other basting sounds normal. Check the labels in the interior pockets to see if someone's name is on it.

If it were MTM, I would think the sleeves would actually be finished. I don't know why Hickey would leave them undone if they were already measured.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noVA99
the Armani fits a little snug I guess i have to up one in size. The Hickey fits fine, the RL fits fine.

so whats the deal with the Hivkey having not sleeve buttons and the threaded "X" on the sleeves and on the dual vents?? Was this a MTM suit that never got picked up?

This may answer your question. http://styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=42723&postcount=5

Tough call on HF vs Polo blue label. Whichever fits better. I like the Polo cuts but I'd prefer solid navy to striped grey...and HF is cheaper, better made..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The threaded "X" probably does not mean MTM. If it was made for somebody, the buttons would likely be sewn on. Think about it. The buttons are left off to allow the buyer to have the sleeves altered, which would not be necessary with a MTM suit.

If it were me, I would buy the Polo suit. I would not hesitate to spend $599 on the Armani if it fit well, but if it doesn't, pass.

chas

Reaction score
That Hickey is from there handmade line. It comes with basted sleeves and has more handwork than their regular line. That is the best suit for $420 if it fits you well. If you are buying it at a discount store (last call, filenes) look it over very closely as I have returned multiple suits to those locations after my tailor has found issues with them that I didn't notice.

cvac

Reaction score
The Hickey suit you described is far better quality than the others. Get that if it fits, I'd say. Like the other guy said, keep your receipt and look the suit over carefully with the tailor to see if there are any flaws you couldn't pick up on in the store.

If the suit is fine, you got a really good deal.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
That Hickey is from there handmade line. It comes with basted sleeves and has more handwork than their regular line. That is the best suit for $420 if it fits you well. If you are buying it at a discount store (last call, filenes) look it over very closely as I have returned multiple suits to those locations after my tailor has found issues with them that I didn't notice.

I came across some HF mainline suits in the past that had basted/unfinished sleeves.

IMG_4622.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads