• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey suits on Gilt; worth the $$$?

nbmplano

Reaction score
Gilt has a few Hickey (not Freeman, just Hickey) suits for $500. I have tried a few on and they seem to fit me pretty well but want to make sure I am not wasting my money buying a trash suit. What are everyones thoughts on these? Worth the money or should I hold off?

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
I would hold off if I were you. $500 isn't a great price for hickey, and Gilt isn't a great retailer. If you specifically want hickey, places like Saks Off 5th (at least the one at potomac mills) regularly has them at that price, and their post-holiday (maybe even their current) sale prices will likely be lower. Plus, you have the added advantage of seeing how it looks on you ahead of time.

txeconomist

Reaction score
I purchased two suits from NM Last Call the other day for about $360 a pop. One was a solid navy blue Hickey Freeman Madison and the other a HF LTD charcoal pinstripe...Dallas has a ton of Last Calls so you might want to check those out.

Im curious...Is $360 a reasonable deal for the LTD suit?

nbmplano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by txeconomist
I purchased two suits from NM Last Call the other day for about $360 a pop. One was a solid navy blue Hickey Freeman Madison and the other a HF LTD charcoal pinstripe...Dallas has a ton of Last Calls so you might want to check those out.

Im curious...Is $360 a reasonable deal for the LTD suit?

Wow. Sounds like a great deal on the Madison. Do you wear a larger size? My problem is I wear a 38R and can never seem to find anything in that size worth it at last call. I will check again though. I also like the fit of the hickey vs the other Hickey Freemans.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits
I would hold off if I were you. $500 isn't a great price for hickey, and Gilt isn't a great retailer. If you specifically want hickey, places like Saks Off 5th (at least the one at potomac mills) regularly has them at that price, and their post-holiday (maybe even their current) sale prices will likely be lower. Plus, you have the added advantage of seeing how it looks on you ahead of time.

Not for long... hickey was shut down early this year.

The new line for younger people by Hickey Freeman will be called Sterling, and I believe will be out for next S/S.

ennui

Reaction score
I like my Hickey suit a lot. I paid $460 for it, but it's hard to find my size (36S) so I jumped on it. It fits quite slim and drapes well on me. I don't know if it's half-, full-, or not-canvassed, but frankly I don't care much. The only complaint I have is that the front rise on the trousers is low. I'm on the verge of ball-cleavage.
uhoh.gif

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These suits are back again for $500. Buy or wait? I've already waited since January to purchase a suit on sale so is it worthwhile to hold out?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hickey cuts are more modern and slim than Hickey Freeman.

I bought a Hickey on Gilt a while back and am really happy with it. From what I can tell, the construction rivals RLBL. I would say the cut on Hickeys are boxier and fit more of an athletic build (think weightlifter), while RLBL is better for slimmer builds (think runner/swimmer).

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to be a huge hickey fan, but then I came to dislike the high button stances

AboveBeyond

Reaction score
I like the brown birdseye one but too bad its out of 38S.

How are the pants determined? Jacket size minus 7? So if if my suite size is 38, the pants size size is 31?

rfpgh

Reaction score
In the pictures on Gilt it looks like the pants are really cut too slim, is that the case in person? Kind of an unanswerable question I guess.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Anyone have measurements for these suits?

Particularly looking for a 38S or 38R.

Mostly interested in shoulders and length (from bottom of collar).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads