• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HICKEY Suits (not Hickey Freeman, but the hickey line) Question

thatdude

Reaction score
I just purchased two hickey (not Hickey Freeman, but hickey) suits from Bluefly.com during their latest Blue Sale. I spent about $540 per suit. Is this a decent value? The suits look good and fit well, but I can't find any significant information on the line. I am a total novice at judging the quality of a suit, and I would like a little feedback before I have the pants tailored.

Thanks in advance.

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I think it's too high. They can usually be had for less, but I haven't seen any on the B&S in a while

I completely disagree. $540 a suit is a good price because they retail for over $1000+. Also, the fit on these is great for slimmer people. They are also half canvassed and have great workmanship. I've also heard that the hickey line is getting axed so you're lucky to snatch up a few of these before they go out! Hope this helped

Sotiris

Reaction score
No Syms/Filene's Basement stores in your area? I was able to find two nice Hickey Freeman Madison suits (one 130's Loro Piama) for $400 each ($499 + 20% sale through 2/14). So better bargains are possible.

I'm certainly no expert though.

thatdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I think it's too high. They can usually be had for less, but I haven't seen any on the B&S in a while. They are half canvassed and extra-slim fitting.

There are a ton of threads on here about hickey suits.

Thanks for the info. I dug around for a few days, but most of the threads are dated or don't contain significant information. Having said that, I am sure my search was not exhaustive and apparently there was a major "jumbo" hickey thread, but I have not been able to locate it.

thatdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allaboutshoes
I completely disagree. $540 a suit is a good price because they retail for over $1000+. Also, the fit on these is great for slimmer people. They are also half canvassed and have great workmanship. I've also heard that the hickey line is getting axed so you're lucky to snatch up a few of these before they go out! Hope this helped

They are a slim fit, but they do look very nice. My wife is of the same opinion as you.

thatdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sotiris
No Syms/Filene's Basement stores in your area? I was able to find two nice Hickey Freeman Madison suits (one 130's Loro Piama) for $400 each ($499 + 20% sale through 2/14). So better bargains are possible.

I'm certainly no expert though.

I think I need to dig through the Filene's Basement here in DC. I can wait to have my suit tailored, so it may make sense to see if I can find a better deal.

veloaudio

Reaction score
Good to know about the slim fit. I picked up a Hickey suit in Gilt a few days ago for $499. It should arrive today.

slappy

Reaction score
I like them and own one. I get compliments on it frequently, especially from women in bars. It's more fashion forward than your average work suit, but not out of place like Black Fleece or something. For 500 I think its a damn fine deal honestly.

thatdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by veloaudio
Good to know about the slim fit. I picked up a Hickey suit in Gilt a few days ago for $499. It should arrive today.

Yes, I saw those as well. I went with Blue Fly and paid the "insurance" to be able to return the suits. They jacket is very slim fitting to me. However, I am somewhat of a bigger guy around the chest, shoulders, and upper arms (humble brag: HSM sleeves are too tight on my tricep, second skin tight). Having said that, the jacket slims in around the waist nicely. The drop 7 also helps. I probably have a traditional athletic build that can afford a drop 8, and in the summer, a drop 10.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allaboutshoes

The retail price is irrelevant, no one is buying Hickey suits at full price. You can sometimes get the Madison line suits at that price if you shop around, and they are worth it.

I don't think the Hickey suits are half canvassed. The ones I remember seeing in person had heavily padded shoulders that I didn't care for.

thatdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
The retail price is irrelevant, no one is buying Hickey suits at full price. You can sometimes get the Madison line suits at that price if you shop around, and they are worth it.

I don't think the Hickey suits are half canvassed. The ones I remember seeing in person had heavily padded shoulders that I didn't care for.

Your point about MSRP is well taken. These suits don't have much padding in the shoulders, but I'm awful at trying to check for canvassing.

Here is one of the suits:

http://www.bluefly.com/Hickey-charco...401/detail.fly

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the hickey line from hickey freeman is produced any longer. So if their slimmer fit and the colors meet your needs they're a fine enough deal for new. Just because others happen to get a suit for a lower price in the past doesn't reflect the current state since the line's stopped.

I'd keep them if you like them, return/sell if you don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics