• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hickey suit critique

kinggimp

Reaction score
hello! wondering if i could get some advice regarding this hickey suit. currently, i only have one suit (black at that! yikes) as my job does not require me to wear a suit. i have a wedding to attend next month and am looking to purchase a fairly good quality gray/charcoal colored suit for under $500. i saw this hickey suit at off saks and would like some advice. i'm assuming that "hickey" is lower quality than "hickey freeman" suits, but i can purchase this suit for about $400. how's the fit and quality? would it be worth it at that price? thanks in advance, gentlemen!

photo-1.jpg

photoe.jpg

photof.jpg

Capture.jpg

photob.jpg

apologies for the quality of photos, only had an iphone on me...

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nice suit, the sleeves are a bit sort but it seems to be well fitted to your body elsewhere.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
It's a nice suit, the sleeves are a bit sort but it seems to be well fitted to your body elsewhere.

Sleeves aint short. They are fine.
But you should hem the pant and smile a bit
bounce2.gif

OrangeCrush

Reaction score
Definitely hem the pants, but otherwise, looks like a solid suit. Go for it!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the sleeves on the suit are fine, the sleeves on your shirt might be 1/8" too long.

Suit looks nice otherwise. I have no experience with the "Hickey" brand, so I can't comment on quality.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't button the bottom button unless it's the only button (aka a one-button suit). I'm not 100% sure but the low-res pics make itl ook like your bottom button is fastened.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Don't button the bottom button unless it's the only button (aka a one-button suit). I'm not 100% sure but the low-res pics make itl ook like your bottom button is fastened.

If you look closely, I think the bottom button is undone, and is actually overlapping the other side. It's fairly remarkable.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It'll need a bit of alteration, but it looks pretty good. hickey was a diffusion line of Hickey Freeman targeted at younger men. Quality isn't amazing, but it's decent, and the cut is pretty good. It's not an amazing bargain at $400, but for what looks like a pretty simple mid to dark grey suit, it's a good investment.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine. Wear it with a lighter colored shirt though. That look seems a little Bridge and Tunnel.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Sleeves aint short. They are fine.
But you should hem the pant and smile a bit
bounce2.gif

+1. It's the shirt sleeves that are long, by a good 1/2" at least.

nycstylist

Reaction score
Looks good. Sleeves are a tad long. Hickey suits are always great quality.

kinggimp

Reaction score
thanks for the inputs fellas!
smile.gif
however, i've read that "hickey freeman" suits are fully canvassed, but does anyone know if "hickey" suits are as well? or half perhaps? i tried the pinch test, but couldn't really tell...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads