• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hickey suit critique

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks too stiff and boxy to me.

kinggimp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Looks too stiff and boxy to me.

when one says "boxy", is that in regards to the shoulders? or the overall shape entirely? just trying to comprehend. thanks!

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinggimp
when one says "boxy", is that in regards to the shoulders? or the overall shape entirely? just trying to comprehend. thanks!

in this case, yes; you can see hickey's typically heavy shoulder padding in full effect.

i actually think the suit is a pretty good fit for the most part, though.

kinggimp

Reaction score
so i had decided to go ahead and purchase this suit. however, the pants were quite loose in the thigh and calf section so i took them to my tailor to have the sides taken in. but it looks like he only took it in below the knee. is the thigh section too baggy still? or am i deluding myself? if it is too baggy, should i take to the tailor and have him slim the upper leg area as well? thanks for the opinions!
smile.gif

Capture-1.jpg

Capture3-1.jpg

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinggimp
so i had decided to go ahead and purchase this suit. however, the pants were quite loose in the thigh and calf section so i took them to my tailor to have the sides taken in. but it looks like he only took it in below the knee. is the thigh section too baggy still? or am i deluding myself? if it is too baggy, should i take to the tailor and have him slim the upper leg area as well? thanks for the opinions!
smile.gif

Capture-1.jpg

Capture3-1.jpg

Response to original set of photos: the suit looks good, but it does look a little generic and boring.

Response to these photos: Something weird is going on with the pants. Can you post some pictures from the side, quarter, and back views? And maybe also with the jacket on?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also maybe hem the pants first, or roll them up so we can see what they will look like hemmed.

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Looks like your tailor started at the knee and slimmed downward. Also, those pants are going to be way too long when you put shoes on.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, your tailor tapered the pants and didn't slim them from the hip down. I have had the same experience, you end up with balloon pants. This is why I always wonder why so many people on here simply advise buying decent fitting pants and then have them "slimmed down" seem to be hit or miss in my experience.

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Yea, your tailor tapered the pants and didn't slim them from the hip down. I have had the same experience, you end up with balloon pants. This is why I always wonder why so many people on here simply advise buying decent fitting pants and then have them "slimmed down" seem to be hit or miss in my experience.

I'm pretty skeptical of buying a suit off the rack that doesn't fit the way you want it to. Sure, some tailors can work magic, but the whole process seems fraught with peril to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads