• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

hickey suit critique

kinggimp

Reaction score
hello! wondering if i could get some advice regarding this hickey suit. currently, i only have one suit (black at that! yikes) as my job does not require me to wear a suit. i have a wedding to attend next month and am looking to purchase a fairly good quality gray/charcoal colored suit for under $500. i saw this hickey suit at off saks and would like some advice. i'm assuming that "hickey" is lower quality than "hickey freeman" suits, but i can purchase this suit for about $400. how's the fit and quality? would it be worth it at that price? thanks in advance, gentlemen!

apologies for the quality of photos, only had an iphone on me...

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nice suit, the sleeves are a bit sort but it seems to be well fitted to your body elsewhere.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
It's a nice suit, the sleeves are a bit sort but it seems to be well fitted to your body elsewhere.

Sleeves aint short. They are fine.
But you should hem the pant and smile a bit

OrangeCrush

Reaction score
Definitely hem the pants, but otherwise, looks like a solid suit. Go for it!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the sleeves on the suit are fine, the sleeves on your shirt might be 1/8" too long.

Suit looks nice otherwise. I have no experience with the "Hickey" brand, so I can't comment on quality.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't button the bottom button unless it's the only button (aka a one-button suit). I'm not 100% sure but the low-res pics make itl ook like your bottom button is fastened.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Don't button the bottom button unless it's the only button (aka a one-button suit). I'm not 100% sure but the low-res pics make itl ook like your bottom button is fastened.

If you look closely, I think the bottom button is undone, and is actually overlapping the other side. It's fairly remarkable.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It'll need a bit of alteration, but it looks pretty good. hickey was a diffusion line of Hickey Freeman targeted at younger men. Quality isn't amazing, but it's decent, and the cut is pretty good. It's not an amazing bargain at $400, but for what looks like a pretty simple mid to dark grey suit, it's a good investment.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine. Wear it with a lighter colored shirt though. That look seems a little Bridge and Tunnel.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Sleeves aint short. They are fine.
But you should hem the pant and smile a bit

+1. It's the shirt sleeves that are long, by a good 1/2" at least.

nycstylist

Reaction score
Looks good. Sleeves are a tad long. Hickey suits are always great quality.

kinggimp

Reaction score
thanks for the inputs fellas!
however, i've read that "hickey freeman" suits are fully canvassed, but does anyone know if "hickey" suits are as well? or half perhaps? i tried the pinch test, but couldn't really tell...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.