• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey style suit fit

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not horrible, just not as well fitting as I expected based on what I've read. It fits more traditional than modern, at least mine does...

I have a hard-to-fit body in general, because I lift weights/swim a lot, so I'm slim and have almost a 10" drop (38 chest, 28 waist) and most suits look odd on me --- ironically, I've found Theory suits to fit me the best (even better than RLBL), but they never have my size (38s).

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
My major concerns with the jacket were:

- Too much shoulder padding
- Jacket is too boxy
- Way too much room around the abdomen, not sure if I could put enough waist suppression to make it look okay
- Relative to the jacket, the pants are ironically really slim (but fit okay)
- Arm holes too low

padding can be removed / lightened although if not done by a skilled tailor it could end up looking funky.

boxiness can be taken in depending on where the seams and pockets are. if it needs to be taken in so much that it's going to be marching over the pockets, it's a problem.

armholes are tricky to adjust.

sounds to me like you need to size down if you've got extra room in the shoulders. if not, send it back as all of the above will not be trivial $$ and you have other options that are in the same class of suit but have a slightly slimmer cut (e.g., versace).

LiverpoolFC

Reaction score
Got my hickey on Friday and must say, while the shoulder padding was slightly more robust than I'm used to, the rest of the jacket fit quite nicely OTR. The pants, being drop 7, need to be taken out about an 1.5'', so I just dropped them off at the tailors today. Will post pics when I get it back next week.

Really pleased with the quality and general fit, however. This thread had me petrified about the shoulder pads, but they really aren't bad, just a little different than some of my more fashion-foward suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads