• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freenman MTM - Good value at under $1000?

etown883

Reaction score
So, there is a possibility that I can get a full MTM Hickey Freeman suit for under $1k, does this represent a great value? I should point out that whilst I do fit OTR clothes well, finding that size (36R) at discount in any kind of solid seems to me to be very hard. Please let me know your thoughts on pulling the trigger on this one. I've thought about waiting for the Polo sale to get a Black or Blue label, but I don't know if that would be a better option. Thanks!

Charlie

Reaction score
I would say yes - putting aside the Hong Kong tailors, I think a good MTM suit (from, say Izzy, Ned or any of the other NY shops) would cost about $800-$1000 , and for the same price you are getting access to the HF fabrics and construction. You are essentially avoiding the premium usually charged by HF. At their trunk show, suits start at 1600, with a 25% discount, or $1200, so less than $1K is a great deal. Is this deal generally available?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two HF MTM suits that I like very much and paid much more than $1000 for both of them. I find that the construction on them is better than some of the MTM Hong Kong suits that I have. Here's a pic of one of mine:

Clothes005.jpg

etown883

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. That suit looks wonderful Mark.

etown883

Reaction score
I agree. With my slim build, I think the MTM in the Barrett cut jacket would work out well. The deal is not a normal thing at all, just a one time go I believe.

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie
At their trunk show, suits start at 1600, with a 25% discount, or $1200, so less than $1K is a great deal. Is this deal generally available?

^^ +1, if I may be so presumptous to try and jump on this bandwagon

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I have two HF MTM suits that I like very much and paid much more than $1000 for both of them. I find that the construction on them is better than some of the MTM Hong Kong suits that I have. Here's a pic of one of mine:

Clothes005.jpg

Mark, I like your suit and waistcoat. I like it even more with the shirt and neck tie youc chose to go with it in that photo.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does one get Hickey Freeman MTM? Is it only in NY?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy

I'm guessing through one of their stores, though there are few. The HF store in San Francisco has an MTM program.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy

Nearly any retailer that sells HF should have access to their MTM program. I got mine through Nordstrom. Nieman Marcus has their own line at HF that is available in MTM. I'm sure other retailers offer it as well.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francisco D'Anconia
Mark, I like your suit and waistcoat. I like it even more with the shirt and neck tie youc chose to go with it in that photo.

Originally Posted by etown883
That suit looks wonderful Mark.

+1. Really nice.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by etown883
So, there is a possibility that I can get a full MTM Hickey Freeman suit for under $1k, does this represent a great value? I should point out that whilst I do fit OTR clothes well, finding that size (36R) at discount in any kind of solid seems to me to be very hard. Please let me know your thoughts on pulling the trigger on this one. I've thought about waiting for the Polo sale to get a Black or Blue label, but I don't know if that would be a better option. Thanks!

At $1K or less, is Hickey Freeman made to measure fully canvassed?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
At $1K or less, is Hickey Freeman made to measure fully canvassed?

AFAIK all HF is fully canvassed. However, I suspect that the choice of fabrics will be fairly limited at that price. At the Nordstrom summer sale last year (Anniversary Sale? Whatever it's called it's in about June or July) they had certain MTM suit fabrics on sale for around $900 IIRC. The fabric I chose (in my picture above) was a bit higher priced and I think that my 3 piece wound up in the $1300-1400 range (including the vest).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads