• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hickey Freeman Variations

dks202

Reaction score
I have been wearing Hickey Freeman for many years, mostly Canterbury and Boardroom. Madison has been out for a couple of years but I still prefer Canterbury (still available in MTM).

There are apparently some new models, the Edwards and Presidential that have been introduced. Both have more handwork in them and appear top of the line but how do they fit compared to Canterbury or Madison?

Since HF changed their website there is no longer any information on the different styles and models they sell (Madison, Vanguard, etc.)

Any help is appreciated?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only worn two styles from HF. The Madison is the traditional American cut. Limited waist suppression, but a pretty soft front canvass and some shoulder padding, athough not excessive like most RTW American brands. Vanguard is a trimmer fit. More waist suppression. Similar front canvass. Less shoulder padding. Narrower lapels. My Vanguard suit also has narrower legs on the trousers. A more modern cut overall.

Both are mainline and fully canvassed like Canterbury. Boardroom is half-canvassed like the LTD line.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Presidential is their highest level and has been compared to Oxxford in terms of handwork though I have not verified it.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabrics used in the Presidential line are superlative. I can't confirm their detailing but it does look nice overall. I think Oxxford is still better though depending on the line.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 77 30.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 50 19.9%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 17 6.8%