1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hickey freeman suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BigRed, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ckgs

ckgs Active Member

Just saw you were referring to the HF suits on RueLaLa, so I checked them out. These are definitely Lindsey model or similar (I have a navy one I picked up from BlueFly).

They are not mainline HF suits and do not retail for $1600, rather are made for discount sites and outlets. Easy to tell from the white label, lack of an interior pock flap, and lack of a pen pocket among other things. Other shortcuts are half-canvassing, plastic buttons, and lack of bemberg lining. All that said it's a nice suit with a traditional slightly slimmer HF cut and decent fabric. I think you paid a good price for a solid color suit.

2. JVXA

JVXA New Member

Here is the pocket in detail however I think the other poster is correct this is likely a half canvased suit. I found nearly the same suit on Bluefly for $799 I think, and it said the jacket was canvassed and fully lined, and the pants were half lined to the knees.

[​IMG]

3. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

I've got the opportunity to purchase a HF suit from my recently opened Nordstrom Rack. Stopped in a few times to check the price on it for about 3 weeks now. Addison fit, confirmed to be from mainline (not the Ltd line), with HF for Nordstrom label, perfect size 38S, great Loro Piana Super 130's gray wool. Wondering what you guys thought of this for $699? Is it worth waiting for another drop? I don't yet own a gray suit and think this one would be great if the price is right.

4. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

$700 is a lot, but if you can't find anything else....

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

$700 seems a bit high, but if you're in love with it and it won't break the bank, go for it.

6. ckgs

ckgs Active Member

IMO $700 is an ok price for mainline HF, especially in a staple color. The Addison actually does retail for $1500, and I've only seen weird colors or patterns or sizes on discount. They're really nice suits.

7. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

It MIGHT break the bank, but I think I'm making it easier on myself by saying it will always be appropriate. Ha.

8. eh5678

eh5678 Member

Can i ask for some suggestions at good online discounted outlets that would stock HF suits for as low as $300 - $400?

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

eBay.

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

If you're looking for new mainline, you're best bet is eBay. Maybe B&S, but I doubt it.

11. ckgs

ckgs Active Member

Another vote for eBay. Take the same care and make sure the seller posts a picture of the model name (addison, beacon, etc) because the half canvassed diffusion line suits (lindsey, milburn, etc) are often listed for the same prices. Also the lack of an inside pocket flap (as illustrated in the picture above posted by JVXA) is a way to identify the discount line. If you're patient NWT mainline suits come up.

12. ijung

ijung Active Member

Hi, I just won a Hickey Freeman suit on eBay for $240 (BNWT). The style name provided is "Vanguard". A little research tells me that this is one of the slimmer fitting Hickey suits out there, although it is not listed on the HF webpage. Can anyone tell me if it is fully canvased and if it is from their main line? Many thanks!

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

extremely doubtful

14. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Just purchased a Hickey Freeman suit on ebay which is the Andrews model sold by Neiman Marcus. It is gray glenplaid and has H F embroidered below one inside pocket on the jacket and Neiman Marcus on the other inside pocket. Do not see any inside pocket flaps.. A google search did not bring up the model so it might be an older model (also based on the low price paid).

15. Luvwine

Luvwine Well-Known Member

I have seen sub $500 pricing on HF from sierratradingpost.com with one of their 30-40% off sale coupons.....

I have not pulled the trigger despite the prices.

16. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

Sierra trading post does not carry the mainline as far as I know.

its the Sterling, half canvas, high arm holes, slimmer fitting, flat front, etc. You may like this.

Finding a Hickey Freeman Mainline in a basic Navy solid or stripe, Charcoal solid or stripe in an average size for under $500 doesn't happen everyday in every neighborhood.

If and when you do see one grab it, and then come ask questions, not ask questions hoping it will be there when you go back.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  17. mp1472

mp1472 Senior member

Ive found the mainline hickeys at neiman marcus last call a few times .. there were some navy pinstripe beacons there a few weeks ago for 299 [​IMG] which is a steal but unfortunately I cant fit a 6 " drop .. really nice suit too (I could have been a scumbag and koped the pants out of the 40r suit and put em with the 42r jacket) dam my morals !!

Worth checking them out time to time as they mostly have the half canvased hf's there but ive found some mainlines here and there.

18. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Senior member

I can't vouch for all, but at least some Vanguard suits are mainline and fully canvased.

Vanguard used to be a mainline suit model with a trimmer fit with higher armholes than the Madison mainline. I think the Vanguard model was phased out about 3 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  19. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Just recieved my HF olive gray glenplaid suit purchased for $35 plus shipping from Ebay and cannot believe what a bargain this was.
    It appears to be the "Andrews" model, although I cannot locate any such HF model on the web but its in great condition and needs no tailoring to fit.

20. jrasero

jrasero Member

Depends what line your looking at but overall

traditional, good material

you could do better but also you could do a whole lot worse.

Right now they are having a sale, but unless your a 44R slim pickings

I don't think i would pay more than $400-$600 for a suit