Hickey freeman suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BigRed, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Johnny24

Johnny24 Senior member

I purchased a Hickey Freeman suit from Gilt during their most recent sale. It is definitely Limited -- says so on the tags - and cost ~600. So, be careful.

Well that is a bit of bummer, at least for the price you paid. I am going to contact Gilt and see if they will state in the next sale if it is a LTD or Vanguard line suit. I was planing on picking one up from there next time around but for $600-$700 I might as well go to English American and have something made for me.

2. BLN

BLN New Member

Very nice info...........very informative re: - INFORMATIVW

3. hansw18

hansw18 Member

Gilt is currently running a HF promotion until 12am tonight, and I was seriously considering making a purchase. It was mentioned earlier that someone had spent $600 on a suit there only to find out after delivery that it was their LTD line, and this scared me a bit. I contacted them and spoke with a very nice girl who unfortunately did not know which HF line the suits were. What do you think about buying one of their suits for $449 as opposed to waiting to find one at an outlet? I do know that the HF 42R requires minimal alteration OTR for me, so I am tempted. Thoughts?

4. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

I have info that you can buy Hickey Freeman Mainline suits at great discounted price.

Sometimes, Neiman Marcus Last Call posts their 40% off regular priced one item.

print that out, get HF Suit $599 - 40% = $360 + Tax

If you get really really lucky, you might get Presidential or Edward line at that price, but I only saw them in gigantic sizes.

5. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

Gilt had Hickey Freeman suits on sale yesterday. They're still on sale now, but everything good is sold out. They had suits that had a 16" leg opening for a 40R sized suit. It also had side vents. I was under the impression that HF suits were cut much more full...16" is pretty slim. Anyone know what line this suit is?

6. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

Hickey was HF's attempt to reach a younger market. It wasn't as successful as they had hoped and has since shut down.

Half-canvassed suits, modern fits (though with kind of padded shoulders). Probably good at $350 or less.

EDIT: I own one and it's good.

Damn. I just tried a Hickey suit jacket on today (HF fit me like a box) and it was a perfect fit. I'm just not a drop 7... who the F has a 29" waist?

7. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Damn. I just tried a Hickey suit jacket on today (HF fit me like a box) and it was a perfect fit. I'm just not a drop 7... who the F has a 29" waist?

Me....

8. riellanart

riellanart Member

So, does anyone know where the Milburn line fits into their lineup? I tried looking at the Hickey Freeman site, but did not see any information about it. I just bought the suit off of gilt.

I checked their tags, and I don't believe it is a limited line. Here are some pictures of the tag (not my suit, but identical tags and I found it on ebay).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Hickey-...I&otn=6&pmod=160634963272&ps=50#ht_7789wt_872

Anyone want to shed some light on this?

9. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I was curious about the Milburn suit myself. I picked this suit up from Nordstrom Rack today for $500 but didn't see it listed anywhere on the HF site. I emailed their customer service dept to see if they could give me more info. My guess (and hope) is that the Milburn is part of the mainline collection and is fully canvassed. Either way, I think I got a good deal on it and I like the way it fits.

10. gaseousclay

I just heard back from HF customer service and the Milburn is indeed fully canvassed and part of their mainline collection. made for Nordstroms

11. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

How do Hart Schaffner & Marx suits compare to Hickey Freeman suits?

12. gaseousclay

^^

I've only ever tried on a HSM suit once, and it was quite baggy from what I remember. I don't know about the quality though

13. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I guess I should clarify that I have a navy gold trumpeter suit and a couple sport coats from HSM that I bought at Nordstroms.

14. slipperman

slipperman Member

I just picked up one of these at Nordstrom Rack myself for $500. Is it worth the money??

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

It's not an amazing deal by SF standards, but not bad considering the reail price.