1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hickey freeman suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BigRed, Jan 6, 2011.

1. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Working in DC I'm an Allen Edmonds fan or "Ed Head" as the saying goes. Good quality on most of their shoes and the re-crafting service is excellent. the Strand and Park Avenue/5th Avenue shoes are staples. That said, I'm interested in moving up to Alden. I picked up a pair of Battistoni's at Barneys New York and they are quite nice.

Black suits: not really a common choice anymore. Best for formal wear, weddings and funerals in my opinion. Dark charcoal or dark navy blue make better choices. Of course, wear whatever you feel is best. :)

2. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Senior member

I'm liking these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7715_1_40000000001_-1?style=7715

Allen Edmonds Fifth Street Boots

I'll look for them in a store to try on.

I stopped by the Alden store in SF one time and didn't really see anything I loved. But maybe that's because they didn't have any nice boots! haha

Ideally I'd probably be wearing something ridiculous like alligator boots. But I don't have any alligator dress boots. Yet.

-----------------------------
    Correction! They didn't have this one at the Alden store when I visited but I found it online and its very nice. Cordovan leather would be great.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...d-4060_ald_m_cap_toe_boot_shell_cordovan.html

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. mountainman3520

I got two of the HF Beacon suits tailored and after a few tweaks they fit great.

I wore the black herringbone on Wednesday and the navy vertical stripe on Thursday, both for big customer meetings.

Loved them. I think they were by far the nicest looking suits in a room filled with suits.

Soon I will post photos of 3 grey choices and ask for input before I choose which to keep.

4. BP805

BP805 New Member

First post here, long time lurking around...

I would also like to know more about the HF Traveler line suits. Has anyone worn one or seen one in person? I'm thinking about buying one but havent seen them in person (found a good deal). Is the fabric super 150s like the Tasmanian line, or is it something of a lesser thread count? I know that it is made of the Loro Piana "Rain System" fabric that is coated on either the back or front side with some water repellant chemical. Basically want to know if it still looks and feels like a mainline Beacon suit, if the drape is affected in any way, or if the fabric feels/wears differently. Hopefully someone has some experience with them and can comment. Thanks to anyone who can help out!

5. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

We sell many of them, both off the rack and Made-to-Measure. I have not had any problems and with HF's new make (lighter canvas and more handwork) they perform very well. Comparing it to the 150sTaz, it is a little beefier, but that's part of "performance" fabrics. I recommend it if you do any amount of travel and need to look fresh for the meeting coming from the airport.

6. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Buy HF, it is good stuff.

7. mountainman3520

I agree. I'm enjoying my two new HF Beacons. Great suits.

8. DFWtailor

DFWtailor New Member

All you see is SLIM fit, problem is not all of us are slim, and a fat guy in a slim fit suit even at a larger size looks rediculous! Just saying

9. 1986Music

1986Music Member

Quick question for everybody: I noticed a beacon model mahogany HF suit at a local shop, solid gray, for $450 and grabbed it. I think it's pretty hard to find a standard size (40R) for this price...am I correct (fits well, minimal alterations would be required - just stitching buttons and hemmed pants of course)? I've never seen a gray one that low in two years of looking.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

I don't know where you formed the idea of a casual suit, I would have kept it.

11. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Hi all,

Looking to purchase a Hickey Freeman Addison for Nordstrom suit from EBay and have few questions about the fit. For reference, I usually go with 34R or 36S Suit Supply suits in their Napoli cut and have it tailored accordingly. BB Fitzgeralt cut in 36S is a little big in the shoulders. That being said, should I consider the HF Addison in 36R? Are the shoulders heavily padded? How is placement of the armholes? I noticed the pants have an 8" drop and a single pleat. Do they fit at least a little slim?

Thanks in advance

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Based on what you are saying, don't think you want the Addison. It is their traditional fit with structured shoulders. Read the second paragraph in this description:

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/charcoal-tasmanian-suit-addison/45304712a003/product

Beacon model may be closer to what you want.

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/charcoal-tasmanian-suit-beacon/45304712b003/product

13. ZainL

ZainL New Member

Was wondering if $1000 for hickey freeman beacon in charcoal or navy blue is a good value.

14. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Saw this HF suit at the Rack for $599. Original retail is $1495. It has a square yellow label that says "Hickey Freeman New York Est. 1899". Is this good stuff?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  15. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

MOST, but not all, HF suits at Last Call or The Rack have a sticker suggesting the MRSP was $1200-1400 but actually were made for Last Call or the Rack to be sold for that "reduced" price. It's the only price it was ever intended to be sold for.

So it's probably a half canvassed suit, at best. Not a bad suit, just not the bargain they are trying to suggest it is.

Having said that, once in a blue moon I've spotted a true Addison or Beacon, etc at Last Call that began its life at a Neiman Marcus store. Rare but I've seen them, but never in my size. One of those for $599 or $699 is a good value

16. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Are the HF suits from STP any good?

17. nomo

nomo New Member