• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mhdena

Reaction score
Sierra trading post does not carry the mainline as far as I know.

its the Sterling, half canvas, high arm holes, slimmer fitting, flat front, etc. You may like this.

Finding a Hickey Freeman Mainline in a basic Navy solid or stripe, Charcoal solid or stripe in an average size for under $500 doesn't happen everyday in every neighborhood.

If and when you do see one grab it, and then come ask questions, not ask questions hoping it will be there when you go back.

Last edited:

mp1472

Reaction score
Ive found the mainline hickeys at neiman marcus last call a few times .. there were some navy pinstripe beacons there a few weeks ago for 299
wow.gif
which is a steal but unfortunately I cant fit a 6 " drop .. really nice suit too (I could have been a scumbag and koped the pants out of the 40r suit and put em with the 42r jacket) dam my morals !!

Worth checking them out time to time as they mostly have the half canvased hf's there but ive found some mainlines here and there.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score

Hi, I just won a Hickey Freeman suit on eBay for $240 (BNWT). The style name provided is "Vanguard". A little research tells me that this is one of the slimmer fitting Hickey suits out there, although it is not listed on the HF webpage. Can anyone tell me if it is fully canvased and if it is from their main line? Many thanks!

extremely doubtful

I can't vouch for all, but at least some Vanguard suits are mainline and fully canvased.

Vanguard used to be a mainline suit model with a trimmer fit with higher armholes than the Madison mainline. I think the Vanguard model was phased out about 3 years ago.

Last edited:

richnet12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just recieved my HF olive gray glenplaid suit purchased for $35 plus shipping from Ebay and cannot believe what a bargain this was.
It appears to be the "Andrews" model, although I cannot locate any such HF model on the web but its in great condition and needs no tailoring to fit.

jrasero

Reaction score
Depends what line your looking at but overall

traditional, good material

you could do better but also you could do a whole lot worse.

Right now they are having a sale, but unless your a 44R slim pickings

I don't think i would pay more than $400-$600 for a suit

ijung

Reaction score

I can't vouch for all, but at least some Vanguard suits are mainline and fully canvased.

Vanguard used to be a mainline suit model with a trimmer fit with higher armholes than the Madison mainline. I think the Vanguard model was phased out about 3 years ago.

Mine just came in the mail yesterday. I believe it is mainline as there was no Ltd on the sleeve tag or on the inside label, which just reads Hickey Freeman. In fact the sleeve tag is the same as this poster's picture of his mainline Madison, except that mine reads Vanguard.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/157586/...-52r-hickey-freeman-burberry-canali-hugo-boss
So yeah, it is marked union made in the USA and 100% worsted wool. Overall the suit fits fine on me. I'll just need alterations on the sleeves the inseam and have the pants slimmed down a bit. Funny that the sleeve buttons came detached and in a bag. No clue if it is fully canvased, but I'll ask the tailor if he can find out as I don't trust myself to do the pinch test lol.

Last edited:

calij82

Reaction score
Hi all- long time reader, first time actually posting anything here, but have a question. I got my first HF Mainline (Beacon: http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/mens-tailored-clothing/mahogany-collection-micro-pattern-suit/) last month, got it back from the tailor and after the first day of wear it was pilling like mad in the crotch. The pants aren't tight fitting, but my thighs do rub whilst walking. I talked to HF and they're willing to refund me for the suit, but a) I'd still be out my tailoring costs and b) I'd also be down a sale priced full canvassed suit as well.

Anyone else ever have any issue with pilling so quickly on an HF mainline, and any suggestions? I'm torn- I know I should take the refund but the suit fits me beautifully, and I'm just so disappointed that this is my first introduction to an HF / fully canvassed suit... My tailor also told me to take the money and run after seeing the pants. I was really hoping that investing in an HF suit it'd last me 5-10 years, and not have to worry about it falling apart in 6 months. Thoughts/advice?

ckgs

Reaction score
I have several mainline Hickey Freeman suits and have never experienced anything like this. HF typically uses high quality fabrics. I can understand your disappointment, it looks like the "micro pattern" fabric is not up to par. Maybe HF will swap for a suit with a different fabric?

calij82

Reaction score
I've talked to them, and they only offered me a refund or a 10% refund if I wanted to keep the suit anyway.

Since it was on clearance, it was on sale and they aren't able to replace the pants for me (they've already checked). I'll check with them to see if I can get a new suit altogether, but I wouldn't imagine they'd accommodate since I got the suit at ~60% discount. But why never hurts to ask.

Any suggestions on how to phrase that proposition seeing as how they've already tried and offered a resolution for me?

I'm looking for a basic gray suit and nothing they have currently strikes my fancy either.

Thanks all for the help

aph999

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Problem is, I've paid between $400 and $600 for my HF suits and $200-$400 for sportjackets and I've never seen the Presidential and Bespoke lines... I wouldn't buy the HF Collection or one of the other diffusion lines. If it doesn't have the HF embroidered on the inside jacket hip pocket and isn't fully canvassed I'm not interested.

Here is one from the Presidential line, and it's available now.

Sean McKee

Reaction score
Have your tailor put a crotch piece in to protect the fabric from further ruin.

calij82

Reaction score
Talked to HF. They can't do a new pair of pants since they're now out of season.

The tailor reco'd me just getting a refund rather than the crotch piece. So much for the hickey freeman experiment :(

Troilus

Reaction score
I'm wondering if someone can speak to the cuts of the different series. What I really need is a Brooks Brother -- to -- Hickey Freeman cut translator. I wear exclusively BB at the moment but am tempted to swap horses at this point.

I wear Brooks Brothers' Fitzgerald cut primarily, and occassionally Regent. In other words, I prefer a relatively slim cut (on the US metric of suits). Would I be OK going with a B-Series?

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering if someone can speak to the cuts of the different series. What I really need is a Brooks Brother -- to -- Hickey Freeman cut translator. I wear exclusively BB at the moment but am tempted to swap horses at this point.

I wear Brooks Brothers' Fitzgerald cut primarily, and occassionally Regent. In other words, I prefer a relatively slim cut (on the US metric of suits). Would I be OK going with a B-Series?

B series is a relatively fuller cut with soft shoulders. If you are trim the C series is a better choice. I used to wear B series and I lost 25 pounds and my tailor recommended going to the C series.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads