• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hickey freeman suits good?

lynch_king

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on these suits?

i didn't see much in the search thread, just saw that they go for ~$50 in the For Sale forums

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The mainline/collection suits are great, but I'd stay away from the LTD. I have not seen their new Presidential line which is another step or two over mainline. I purchased four Madison suits from NM Last Call and Dillards sales for $300 -- $400.

Twotone

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two mainline suits (one of which was purchased used) and am very happy with them both.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hickey Freeman suits are great, if you stay with the mainline. In particular, the Madison model is a great suit. Fully canvassed. Just watch out for the lower end ones they sell at discount retailers - although I'm not sure how to tell them all apart, other than Madisons, which are clearly stated on the tags.

The issue for me is that they don't fit me well - they are more of a traditional, American-style roomier fit. Otherwise I'd jump on HF in a second.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
The mainline/collection suits are great, but I'd stay away from the LTD. I have not seen their new Presidential line which is another step or two over mainline. I purchased four Madison suits from NM Last Call and Dillards sales for $300 -- $400.

Twotone

So Presidential > Main Line > LTD

Where is the Madison line in this line up? == Main Line?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix

I am pretty sure Madison is a main line model. It retails for roughly $1,500, give or take depending on fabric. Madison is the model I am familiar with; there are likely other main line models I don't know about.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix

Madison is one of the models within their main line. Vanguard and Barret are other models within their main line.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Madison is one of the models within their main line. Vanguard and Barret are other models within their main line.
Can someone describe Vanguard and Barret's differences?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Can someone describe Vanguard and Barret's differences?

I have the barret (sp?) - it is much slimmer than the Madison. I never tried on the Vanguard.

lynch_king

Reaction score
It was at a thrift store. it is just the 100% wool jacket.

the white tag in the pocket (in the pocket) says canterbury

i have a secondary question, 100% wool suit coat with slacks, is it bad?

gogators

Reaction score
somewhat off topic, but does HF have any sales? I've yet to see their staple navy blue on sale on the website...

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gogators
somewhat off topic, but does HF have any sales? I've yet to see their staple navy blue on sale on the website...
They at least have outlets that have sales. Suits range from $400 (Burberry) to $900 on sale.

Patek14

Reaction score
I have a mainline HF sportcoat - side vented madison model. Looks great, appears well made, good fit on me. For the right price, I would definetly buy more side vented madisons

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HF makes a very good suit, especially so at discount.

We Tigers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gogators
The cheapest you'll probably find them online is for just under $900 at Bluefly, which regularly has new Madisons in staple styles. I've heard they sometimes go on sale for about the same at Nordstrom's half-yearly sale in June. The best prices will be had at stores like Filene's and Saks Off 5th, which carry lots of the mainline suits (though often in wackier styles). They are great suits if they fit you well. I'm short but broad-shouldered, and find that HF suits are a great fit for my body type. The Madison is roomy, but still has a little bit of natural suppression at the waist and doesn't come close to looking billowy or shapeless, as many fuller cut suits do. Not a ton of style options--almost all the suits are center vents, classic American--but they really execute the styles they do well. As to the Vanguard model, isn't that their double-breasted one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads