• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman suit problem - please help

wangs78

Reaction score
Hi there - I just recently bought a Hickey Freeman Vanguard suit from the Hickey Freeman store in NY. When I was trying it on in the store, the saleslady said it looked great, and although the pants were too tight she said it could be let out and would be fine. She then recommended that I use an outside tailor because the tailor at Hickey was backlogged and would take more than two weeks.

I went to this outside tailor and in the end the pants are still too tight. I have a slim upper body but my legs are disproportionately thicker and so the jacket, which was 40R was fine but the pants were 33" (7" drop for the Vanguard line) while I am a 34". Basically even after the waist and seat were let out, the leg circumference is still tight when I move and I just don't think the pants drape correctly. Both the salesperson and the manager keep telling me it looks fine but I'm just not happy with it. While talking with the two of them the manager even said to the salesperson that he himself would not have sold the suit to me because I found it to be tight to begin with and normally (correct me if I'm wrong) it's best to buy a suit that needs to be taken in, not OUT.

I want to return this suit and I know generally they won't accept returns when alterations have been made but I think in this case I am justified because it was the salesperson who told me that the pants could be let out and be perfect. I went back once and they're now trying to modify the pants to my liking but at this point I just don't feel like the Vanguard cut is right for me but they're really pushing hard for me to keep the suit.

What should I do?

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Hold your ground. Talk with the manager. They sold you the wrong model. A GOOD mens shop will lose a sale rather than place a customer in the incorrect model. I'm sure they will replace it with a model that fits you better.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're still interested in a suit from them, tell them that and return your suit. A trouser that is uncomfortably tight in the thigh is very inconvenient and you will likely not wear the suit as a result. I doubt there is much they can do to resolve that. If you want to look elsewhere, demand that your suit be returned. Their tailor can "repair" the alterations so it shouldn't be an issue. I agree with your reasoning, the salesman gave you bad information, and you ought to be able to return the suit for that reason alone.

agoldf

Reaction score
If you bought it full price you will likely have better luck...

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoldf
If you bought it full price you will likely have better luck...

+1..........go back see what they say. It's a conversation worth having.

BTW, was this at the midtown or downtown location?

wangs78

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. It was at the midtown location. So far they've been pretty nice about everything and offered to try to modify the bejesus out of the pants to get me to like it but that just illustrates that the Vanguard isn't for me. I think I just want to return it.

I did buy it on sale (40% off) and bought a second suit which they had to ship to me from Chicago. It turns out that they made a mistake (deliberate or accidental, I don't know) when shipping because it was supposed to have been a second Vanguard but instead they shipped me a Madison. Personally I think the saleswoman has been trying to unload suits on me hence sold me a Vanguard in the store then had a Madison shipped to me hoping I wouldn't notice. But it turns out the Madison's trousers fit me perfectly (their pants are a little wider), so that's when I went back and said I didn't want the Vanguard that I bought in store anymore (or wanted an exchange) and now they are trying to modify the pants so that I find them wearable.

Still $900 after the discount, and I really don't want to walk out of their with a suit I am unhappy about. I'm keeping the Madison model that was shipped from Chicago, because that suit fits very well.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wangs78

I went to this outside tailor and in the end the pants are still too tight.

Both the salesperson and the manager keep telling me it looks fine

So what did the outside tailor say? You've got a third party that doesn't seem to have any conflicts. The shop staff may be telling the truth or they may not. But what they say may be tainted by wanting to make the sale.

xudisco07

Reaction score
That is why you should never take a salesperson's word for it. They should swap the pants, but you should not completely trust their view.

Like Nicola said, what did the tailor say?

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Bring back the suit, and see the manager. Remind him that he agreed that the pants were too tight and stated that he would not have sold it to you.

A company-owned store will usually "eat" the mistake to try to get you back for another purchase.

wangs78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
So what did the outside tailor say? You've got a third party that doesn't seem to have any conflicts. The shop staff may be telling the truth or they may not. But what they say may be tainted by wanting to make the sale.

The tailor said the suit looks fine - that it is a slim cut and I look fine in it. My gripe is not how it looks but how it feels. Everything is fine when I'm standing still, but if I walk, sit down, bend down to tie my shoelaces, I worry something's going to rip because it's sorta tight. I can feel the stress on the fabric. Granted I'm used to wearing looser fitting suits (i.e., classic American style) so maybe this how a slim fit suit should feel, but if the salesperson had shown me a Madison when I was shopping last weekend I would have chose a Madison hands down. Fact is, they don't have many Madison's left in the store (due to the recent winter sale) so I think the salesperson, like I said, tried to unload some Vanguards on me. Again they look generally ok, but comfort is important too and the Vanguard just isn't comfortable for me.

Tony11214

Reaction score
I bought a HF suit from their web-sight a couple of months ago. When I brought it to the HF store on Madison Ave to be fitted they told me they only do tailoring on suits bought from that particular store. The fact that it was a HF suit from the HF web-sight didn't seem to matter to them. They just wouldn't do tailoring on it.

Considering that they also gave you a story to avoid doing tailoring, it would seem that NY HF stores don't like to do tailoring. I don't like doing business with people like that.

Tony

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burn it.

You listened to an employee anxious to earn commission and there is no record of her claims.

You have had in altered - in their eyes doubtless badly.

Nasty experience you should avoid in future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads