• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman Madison suits--fused?

keggythekeg

Reaction score
I had recently purchased a HF Madison suit from a retailer for about $550. I thought I had done my due dilligence--I was under the impression that it was fully canvassed. I took it to a tailor today to get some work done, and he was (1) impressed that a kid who knew nothing about suits (i didn't know anything, despite reading up on stuff here) had a HF and (2) disappointed that a label like HF would put out fused stuff. And I'm like, wtf, but who am I to contradict an 80 year old tailor--he seemed to know his stuff.

So I just wanted a definitive confirmation. HF Madison--fused or canvassed? if former, ripoff at $550?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding was that the Ltd line was fused but the regular HF Madison models were canvassed.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
I own four Madisons with the new gray label and they are all fully canvassed. I also own a HF Ltd. (with the white label) and it basically the Madison (but with no tag calling it "Madison") and it is fused.

I am 99% sure that HF does not make a fused suit with the gray label.

That said, if you paid $550 for a HF Ltd. glue job, then yes I say ripoff. For a Mainline (gray label) fully canvassed, not a bad deal if it fits well for you.

keggythekeg

Reaction score
gray label, marked "madison".
so it's just time to find a new tailor, huh?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why don't you just search for the pinch test and see for yourself? it's not that hard to tell if something's canvassed.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Half canvas. The canvas they use for that line is pretty soft so it's hard to tell by the pinch test.

jcriswel

Reaction score
OK... here is my contribution to this thread. I bought this Hickey Feeman Madison at the Neiman Marcus Last Call in Dallas, Texas last year. I paid $275 for the suit. It is FULLY CANVASED and it is one of the best suits that I own. Say what you want about other value purchases, but for me this was the best!

hickeyfreemanmadisonuh5.jpg

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keggythekeg
oh the dude showed me and i still couldn't tell *shrug*

Did he open it up or just do the pinch test? I find Hickeys are hard to tell with the pinch test. I have a Madison that is fully canvassed but it is a lot harder to separate the layers than for my other canvassed suits.

heard546

Reaction score
I am glad you shared this information. I have HF LTD suit, and I couldn't determine if it was fused or not. Now, I know.

-tony

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads