• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman Customized for George Muse's, Atlanta

jtatknox

Reaction score
I'm still getting the hang of learning about tags that say, for example, "Hickey-Freeman Customized for Muse's, Atlanta".

Muse's was an upscale menswear shop in Atlanta run by George Muse (now defunct?). I'm trying to get a sense for the quality of this suit jacket based on the line. Is this like, you get measured locally at Muse's and then H|F does a made to measure order for you?

Also, if anyone has an idea of the date I would be most grateful for your input.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is very cool. If you drive by downtown you can see the Muses' sign from Broadstreet in similar font.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas,

The holy Atlanta Institution of Muse's is no more - although their empty storefront still exists downtown. The floors above it have been converted to loft apartments/condos/whatever.

There was a time when anyone who was anyone in Atlanta shopped in only one of two places: Muse's for the more exclusive crowd and Rich's for everyone else. Both are now gone. Muse's simply closed, Rich's became Macy's (or if you want my opinion - Macy's Lite).

Well - I guess there was a third choice - Davidsons - but really, must I explain to you that people of a 'certain type' wouldn't have been caught dead with a Davidson's label in their jacket.

Cool Logo on the Suit - Thanks for sharing it.

I don't imagine the suit was truly custom made - if it were it would likely have a tag indicating the name of the person it was made for. More than likely Muses marketed this standard Hickey Freeman garmet with a custom tag. This was, and is still a common practice.

Last edited:

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Hickey-Freeman had used the term "customized" on its labels on and off during the years.

"Customized" was a trademark. It referred to the manufacturing quality. The tailoring was top quality, i.e., "Number VI" when this numbering system still in use. VI was a handmade suit. Hence, the logo of the tailor's hand and needle.

"Customized" does not mean that the suit was made to measure or bespoke or even custom. Indeed, I doubt that H-F did much, if any MTM before the 1990's. Essentially, H-F was a RTW company. If a man wanted a custom suit he went to either a tailor or the "custom tailoring department" of a major store.

I don't have an exact time, but I believe that until the mid-1990's or earlier, H-F was pretty much a handmade suit. The label is hand sewn.

jtatknox

Reaction score

I don't have an exact time, but I believe that until the mid-1990's or earlier, H-F was pretty much a handmade suit. The label is hand sewn.

This jives with what I am reading online that Muse's went into chapter 11 early 1990s.

Thanks!

J

CaymanS

Reaction score

This jives with what I am reading online that Muse's went into chapter 11 early 1990s.

Thanks!

J

Damn - Chapter 11 is a hard way to fall.

I feel bad for their suppliers, who got pennies on the dollar (if anything) for their last few shipments of suits.

The men's clothing business ain't no joke. **** is a blood sport and making money is a struggle (unless you're Ralph Lo, etc.)

dks202

Reaction score
That's an old label, probably from the 80's. In those days there was a lot more handwork in HF suits than there is now.

refill1961

Reaction score
I recently did some work for a commercial property management company based in East Point, Ga. At one point someone drug a big box out of one of the closets and tld me that I should see if anyone I know wanted the contents and if not, just throw them out. I didn't think anything of it and loaded the box and brought the box home to my wife. When we unpacked it we were surprised to find about 15-18 wool sweaters. Theyare labeled "Tommy Tift" and had Muse's price tags on them. They are all "New Old Stock" and are handmade from Alpaca wool. It turns out that the company I was working for was owned by Thomas Tift of Tifton,Georgia,Tift County, Tift College...... You get the point. So, apparently, Mr Tift owned the Fulton Cotton Mill before it burned to the ground and along with many iother things, dabbled in clothing design. These sweaters were marketed exclusively by Muse's Menswear in Atlanta and, believe it or not, are all in very good, like new condition. The boxof sweaters came out of Mr Tift's private closet in his private office and were the sweaters that he had brought there so he could give them as personal gifts. If you ask me, I think that these sweaters are a prize find! They''re all in great shape and are a beautiful hand made piece of American and Atlanta history. I still have all ofthem. My wife picked out a few and even though Muse's was a men's store, she wears them often and they look great on her. I don't know what to do with them....... Any ideas?

Joe in ATL

Reaction score
1 - GET THEM OFF OF THOSE HANGERS IMMEDIATELY! There is nothing worse for a sweater, the weight of the garment will stretch the neck and it will become unwearable.

2 - EBay seems logical, although few people on eBay will know or care what Muse's was. There may be a Facebook group for the company, I haven't checked. Could be maintained by former customers (probably too old a base to spend much time on FB) or former employees.

Alpaca, you say? Photos appear to support this. An unusual fiber for sweaters.

I worked at Muses for many years. The price tag, which looks like a Muse's tag, will indicate when the garment was new. It had two numbers at the top, a department and a season. I don't remember the departments but season was F1 or S1 for fall or spring of a year ending in 1. Current season (if there was one) would be F6. Company folded before 1992 so my guess is number would indicate late 80s or early 90s. It only had a single digit since clothing wouldn't be kept in inventory for more than a year.

I'd be interested in one for sentimental value if you don't want an exorbitant price. Looks like only grey or tan in the box.

How they got tagged then back in possession of the vendor is also curious. My guess is the vendor took them back in lieu of payment. Not strictly legal in a bankruptcy but nobody would notice in the chaos.

james brooks

Reaction score
1 - GET THEM OFF OF THOSE HANGERS IMMEDIATELY! There is nothing worse for a sweater, the weight of the garment will stretch the neck and it will become unwearable.

2 - EBay seems logical, although few people on eBay will know or care what Muse's was. There may be a Facebook group for the company, I haven't checked. Could be maintained by former customers (probably too old a base to spend much time on FB) or former employees.

Alpaca, you say? Photos appear to support this. An unusual fiber for sweaters.

I worked at Muses for many years. The price tag, which looks like a Muse's tag, will indicate when the garment was new. It had two numbers at the top, a department and a season. I don't remember the departments but season was F1 or S1 for fall or spring of a year ending in 1. Current season (if there was one) would be F6. Company folded before 1992 so my guess is number would indicate late 80s or early 90s. It only had a single digit since clothing wouldn't be kept in inventory for more than a year.

I'd be interested in one for sentimental value if you don't want an exorbitant price. Looks like only grey or tan in the box.

How they got tagged then back in possession of the vendor is also curious. My guess is the vendor took them back in lieu of payment. Not strictly legal in a bankruptcy but nobody would notice in the chaos.
Muse's was my go to store, my father and grandfather both took me there to buy my first suit as a young man, I worked for Delta in Atlanta after going to UGA and always got almost all my clothes at Muse's always felt like I was cheating when I bought from any other store. Moved to Texas for work in the mid 70's so seeing these sweaters made it really makes my heart feel great if you have any left I would love to have one even if it doesn't fit for old times.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Muse's was my go to store, my father and grandfather both took me there to buy my first suit as a young man, I worked for Delta in Atlanta after going to UGA and always got almost all my clothes at Muse's always felt like I was cheating when I bought from any other store. Moved to Texas for work in the mid 70's so seeing these sweaters made it really makes my heart feel great if you have any left I would love to have one even if it doesn't fit for old times.

Add me to that want list as well. Muse's bring back good memories

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads