• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman blazer on STP

AMProf

Reaction score
Hi All:

I was wondering if anyone (a) has purchased or (b) knows anything about this particular HF blazer currently on sale at Sierra Trading Post:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/hi...-coats~d~282/colorfamily~blue/&colorFamily=01

Seems a good price, I know HF is a good brand quality wise, but I'm wondering about fit. From what I understand HF has a bit of a reputation for having a "frumpy", for lack of better words, fit. I'm looking for a somewhat trim cut....think this would fit the bill?

If no, open to suggestions for blazers coming in at a similar price point (around $500).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All:
I was wondering if anyone (a) has purchased or (b) knows anything about this particular HF blazer currently on sale at Sierra Trading Post:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/hi...-coats~d~282/colorfamily~blue/&colorFamily=01
Seems a good price, I know HF is a good brand quality wise, but I'm wondering about fit. From what I understand HF has a bit of a reputation for having a "frumpy", for lack of better words, fit. I'm looking for a somewhat trim cut....think this would fit the bill?
If no, open to suggestions for blazers coming in at a similar price point (around $500).

Is there an HF retailer in your area? If so, check out the jackets.
I know that HF has trim cut garments, but they're not exactly
"fashion forward". That blazer looks classic, which means that
it'll look good when the tiny suit fad passes.

Last edited:

shilleck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I tried a few HF blazers over at union square and the material feels light but sadly they didn't have an available size for me there.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried a few HF blazers over at union square and the material feels light but sadly they didn't have an available size for me there.

Sorry to hear that. I've been expecting them to close since they opened a couple of years ago.
Whenever I've been in the store it was empty.

Last edited:

brooklyn

Reaction score
I just took delivery of the exact blazer from stp. Sadly it will have to go back since the fit is not what I was hoping for. I would not describe the fit as trim at all. More of a traditional fit. I am in between a 36 and 38 regular and went with a 38 r and it was big in the chest and it was a tad bit long as well.

AMProf

Reaction score

I just took delivery of the exact blazer from stp. Sadly it will have to go back since the fit is not what I was hoping for. I would not describe the fit as trim at all. More of a traditional fit. I am in between a 36 and 38 regular and went with a 38 r and it was big in the chest and it was a tad bit long as well.

**THIS** is exactly the kind of comment I was hoping to get. Thanks for the info.

drcharlie

Reaction score
That HF blazer on STP is a Lindsey model. It is half canvas, bronze buttons, and uniform lining. I bought it and then bought an HF blazer from Last Call a few weeks later when they had an extra half off deal. The Last Call blazer is a Beacon (mainline) blazer, it is full canvas as the Last Call website says, has different lining in the sleeves, gold buttons, and the sleeve buttons are not yet attached. The wool outer fabric seems the same for the Beacon and Lindsey models but I am no expert. I got the Beacon on LC cheaper than the Lindsey on STP. LC deal was half off their regular price of $475 and STP was 40% off their regular price of something like $500. Sadly, the LC deal for half off is not currently available but a Beacon blazer for under $240 was a good deal. Fit wise, I will have the sleeves finished, add MOP buttons, and have waist suppression done. It seems like somewhat of a classic fitting jacket. I am 5'11" and 190 lbs so I am not slender and will have it taken in some (44R). The shoulder pads are a bit built up. I am very happy with the deal I got on Last Call for the Beacon. The LC web page says full canvas. STP says canvas chest piece. STP will say full canvas in the description if it is. If STP says canvas chest piece, it is probably going to be half canvas. I wish one would know the model name before purchasing over the net.

First time post. Cheers.

AMProf

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the informative post Dr. C. I agree it would be good to know the model names, but I'm guessing not knowing that is part of the deal with being able to buy at these super discounted prices over the web. No free lunch. In any event, neither blazer seems like what I'm after, so I will continue my search for a trim fitting, modern cut navy blazer elsewhere.

Dr jitsu

Reaction score
I purchased 2 HF Blazers this week from STP, this in blue for $239; http://www.sierratradingpost.com/hickey-freeman-subtle-plaid-sport-coat-silk-wool-for-men~p~4305y/ , and this interestingly patterned blazer in grey for $289 (the design may be too much for some, but I like it); http://www.sierratradingpost.com/hi...t-coat-worsted-wool-cashmere-for-men~p~4635u/

I believe I used an extra 40% off coupon. I fully expect that both will be half canvassed, but for the price I won't complain, assuming they fit.

I tried some HFs on at the local mall, and a 48 fit almost perfectly in the shoulders and chest. However a HF "Milburn" I picked up from Bluefly last week (another good deal, $405) is a bit too tight in the shoulders, anyone have any insight into this variance?

drcharlie

Reaction score
When I ordered the blazer from Last Call I also ordered a gray pinstripe HF suit which turned out to be a Milburn. The fit was similar to the Lindsey and Beacon blazers, all 3 were 44R. I sent back the Milburn suit. I got it for $300 with the 50% off deal. It was half canvassed and a good deal for the price but I just didn't like it so I returned it. Sometimes I think I should just go pay discounted retail instead off this online gambling but it is interesting to see what you get. Both STP and LCD have been good about returns so that's good.

I am still trying to figure all this out but my impression is that the discount sites will say "full canvas" for mainline.

I am not sure which HF models are trim fit. Best of luck in your search.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.
Rather than start a new thread, i thought I would start here first. I picked up a Hickey Freeman Lindsey model off of STP. The jacket fit spot on. Little to no alterations. I would even submit better than some MTM I have gotten here in NYC.
The only place i have been able to find the Lindsey model is at STP. Can anyone provide any insight into the silhouette and any other equivalents in the HF universe? I know the mainline will be higher quality fabric and be fully canvassed. I mainly trying to cross-reference the fits.

Thanks for any insight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads