• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey by Hickey Freeman on Gilt, $400... worth it?

prozach1576

Reaction score
I bought a Hickey suit on Gilt for $500 a month or two ago and am very happy with it. Great fit, great fabric. My only complaint was that the 7" drop meant I had to get the trousers let out a little. Otherwise it didn't need any alterations. I would buy another one at that price without hesitating.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hickey suit on Gilt for $500 a month or two ago and am very happy with it. Great fit, great fabric. My only complaint was that the 7" drop meant I had to get the trousers let out a little. Otherwise it didn't need any alterations. I would buy another one at that price without hesitating.

Yeah, perhaps I should have grabbed one myself... the thing is, I've never tried one on, and they had a no-return policy for the Hickey suits. Time to start combing the Off5th stores.

SartorialConductor

Reaction score
Tapatalk is being weird. Anyone else?

Musician. Conductor. Teacher.
Sent from iPhone

reidrothchild

Reaction score

Wore the Sterling Collection Hickey Freeman for the first time today and thought I would post a picture to give anyone interested in Hickey or the HF Sterling an idea on fit. As you can see pants are fairly slim, arm holes are not low, and jacket is not too long. Overall, I like the cut of the suit. It's a 42R, and I'm 5'11, 195 lbs. I'd say I'm about on the edge of the body type this suit was meant to fit. Probably aimed at guys a little slimmer than myself. The only thing I'd change is the shoulder. I'm not sure what the term is--natural or soft or whatever. I don't think there's any padding in the shoulder, but they're not as soft as I prefer. For $265 + tailoring, not a bad value. Oh, and please excuse the fact that one sleeve is longer than the other. My tailor somehow missed that.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Good looking suit, man. Hard to do much better than that for the money.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, perhaps I should have grabbed one myself... the thing is, I've never tried one on, and they had a no-return policy for the Hickey suits. Time to start combing the Off5th stores.
A lad with your build would do well in Saks Off 5th. I saw a well cut Ralph Lauren Black Label suit there for 1K but with 50% further off. If you are willing to stick $400 - $500 for a suit, you could do quite well here. Good luck suit hunting. As for Hickey Freeman their lower end suits are half canvassed from what I can tell. Obviously the top line is a different beast. However, since you are a young buck, I would try some of the trendier stuff by Ralph Lauren Black Label or something like that from Off Fifths wares (Z Zegna, Valentino, cheaper Versace and others). I would not apply the same advice to a thirty or forty something professional, but you are young and these suits were designed with the younger man in mind.

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score
"Good looking suit, man. Hard to do much better than that for the money."

Thanks, man. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this one. I've tried other HFs (Madison, maybe?) and never cared for the cut.

Klobber, you are correct that the Sterling collection is lower than the "Mahogany." It is half-canvas and very little, if any, handwork. Like I said, I'm very pleased for $265, but I'm not sure who is buying these at $900 retail. But then, who really pays retail for anything anymore, right?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm... low armholes are a stickler for me. I like high armholes. But last time I tried to have a tailor make the armholes smaller, the result was less than satisfactory (I probably won't be going back to that tailor). Of course, I live in Houston, which isn't known for much sartorial discernment nor for the quality of its tailors. And if I try to get the armholes raised by a more reputable tailor (such as Nick Lopez), I'm probably looking at another $100...

Thanks for your help-very enlightening!

-CD
Rather impossible. To raise the armholes would involve creating fabric where there is none. A tailor can't do that. Nobody can do that.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Klobber, you are correct that the Sterling collection is lower than the "Mahogany." It is half-canvas and very little, if any, handwork. Like I said, I'm very pleased for $265, but I'm not sure who is buying these at $900 retail. But then, who really pays retail for anything anymore, right?

Oh, no need for apologies on a half canvassed suit. While I, like several here, go for full canvassed suits as a general rule, the half canvassed and fused suits have their place, not only at the price point, but also in giving those of us that are not millionaires the room to experiment with different styles without breaking the bank. Power to you bro, particularly in regards to the price you paid for the suit.

I reckon most here are bargain hunters, myself included. We are spoilt by having a very good Buying and Selling sub-forum and then some killer deals on eBay, and many other SF affiliated stores offering prices at 1/4 to 1/2 full retail. However, I know several people that think nothing of buying a Kiton suit or Tom Ford suit at full retail (whom are on a simalar salary to me).

Last edited:

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt has Hickey and Hickey Freeman suits on sale again. Would it be safe to assume that the originally $1595 suits now on sale for $499-$699 are from the Mahogany line?

http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/hickey-freeman-419

I'd call Gilt and ask them, but they really should list that info on the product description.

I have a question for you-how is it that you have provided a link to this Hickey Freeman sale, but I can't find the sale listed anywhere on the site??? How is that possible? Do you have some kind of insider access to certain sales?

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lad with your build would do well in Saks Off 5th. I saw a well cut Ralph Lauren Black Label suit there for 1K but with 50% further off. If you are willing to stick $400 - $500 for a suit, you could do quite well here. Good luck suit hunting.

As for Hickey Freeman their lower end suits are half canvassed from what I can tell. Obviously the top line is a different beast. However, since you are a young buck, I would try some of the trendier stuff by Ralph Lauren Black Label or something like that from Off Fifths wares (Z Zegna, Valentino, cheaper Versace and others). I would not apply the same advice to a thirty or forty something professional, but you are young and these suits were designed with the younger man in mind.

Here in Houston I've never been able to find RLBL at Off 5th-the only size 36 suits I've ever been able to find are Zenga, and I haven't been impressed with the quality and fit. I forget which Zenga line is carried at the Off 5th locations near me, but the sleeves were huge and I believe the suit was a wool blend.

Actually, the Hickey suit I bought (yes, I ended up buying one) is fused. My tailor cut open a few seams and showed me when I brought it to him for tailoring. Once I get the suit back from Nick Lopez's tailor shop I'll post some pictures. All they are doing is taking in the sides, hemming the pants, and fixing a roll. I was ok with the size of the sleeves and arm-holes, but not ecstatic.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna at Saks is often a Saks label suit with Zegna cloth - quite a big difference. These Saks brand suits are typically fused, but they are often one of the cheaper suits in store. Not to be confused with any actual Zegna made / Zegna affiliated product.

I rarely if ever see the real Zegna Couture suits at off fifth. In fact, I dont think I have ever seen a Zegna Couture suit in Off Fifth.

Last edited:

foxmccleod

Reaction score
I'd call Gilt and ask them, but they really should list that info on the product description.

I have a question for you-how is it that you have provided a link to this Hickey Freeman sale, but I can't find the sale listed anywhere on the site??? How is that possible? Do you have some kind of insider access to certain sales?

Haha, no insider access. It was at the top of the main page yesterday. It is now listed under Sales Ending Soon at the bottom.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

The sale was a summer/spring clearance and it ended a few weeks back. If you buy something from the HF website, they send you emails notifying you of upcoming sales as seems fairly typical for web retail these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads