• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi everyone. What shoe next?

Toby843

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my current collection of shoes. Mostly loake with a set of trickers Bourton and one or two high street chain store shoes. I have about £450 to buy my next set. What would go well? I would like something that I could wear with jeans, chinos and maybe trousers and be quite smart. I'm thinking a semi brogue maybe. Any thoughts? If I'm. Lucky I might catch the end of the summer sales and be able to get two pairs.

Attachments

• 20200726_203514.jpg
    20200726_203514.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 188

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve got the basics covered. I’d consider a snuff suede chukka.

Res

Reaction score
He has 2 pairs of suede chukkas. You definitely need a black Oxford Captoe in your collection. Maybe a pair of leather loafers, Adelaide brogues, or Oxford wingtips.

It depends on how you dress, are you more business/casual or business formal?

You will hear people say you must have shoetrees and others will say you don't need it, truth is shoetrees won't prevent/fix creasing. It does help maintain the structure of the shoe in some cases. With that said it's up to you if you decide to get shoetrees.

Toby843

Reaction score
You’ve got the basics covered. I’d consider a snuff suede chukka.
Hi, the brown suede chukkas I have already are a high street brand so are on my list to upgrade in the future. Good suggestion. Thanks

Toby843

Reaction score
Looks like you might want nine pairs of shoe trees before another pair of shoes.
Hi, yes you're right there. The trickers and one of my pairs of Chelsea boots have them but I am guilty! Shoe trees just aren't as fun as shoes. I will get some though. Good call.

Toby843

Reaction score
He has 2 pairs of suede chukkas. You definitely need a black Oxford Captoe in your collection. Maybe a pair of leather loafers, Adelaide brogues, or Oxford wingtips.

It depends on how you dress, are you more business/casual or business formal?

You will hear people say you must have shoetrees and others will say you don't need it, truth is shoetrees won't prevent/fix creasing. It does help maintain the structure of the shoe in some cases. With that said it's up to you if you decide to get shoetrees.
Hi, great suggestions. Black Oxfords have been on my list for a while but at the moment I just don't need to dress that formally. My job comes with a uniform and when me and my partner go out we generally go to nice smart casual places. I like the idea of a leather loafer and I think maybe a brown Oxford wingtip might work. I'm going to head into London today for a browse so will have a look in C&J as that's where I'm aiming for my next pair.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Definitely focus on care and care products.

If you ever wear suits, you should probably have a pair of black calf cap toe oxfords. C&J would be the ideal place to get those, although Tricker's are really not bad. AE and Grant Stone make solid ones too, or Meermin if you want to save money and get the care products.

If you're looking for something more casual... maybe a carmina snuff suede string loafer, or something like that?

You're pretty covered on the boot front, and your only pair of laced low-tops is a relatively chunky tricker's wingtip, so I'd focus on getting a dressier oxford, but that's just me. If black calf cap toes bore you, get whatever style of oxford you want, have fun with it.

Res

Reaction score
Be aware that Allen Edmonds quality control has gone downhill significantly.

Grant Stone is entirely made in China. I've read that they do get their leathers from tanneries in Europe, but when I inquired they told me many different things. They seemed shady (not wanting to tell me certain things) when I inquired about construction and finish. Common questions that other companies had no issues answering. Their leather also ages quicker from what reviewers mention.

Meermin has their shoes hand-lasted and hand-welt in China, but finished in Spain. They are transparent about this, unlike Grant Stone.

Last edited:

Toby843

Reaction score
Definitely focus on care and care products.

If you ever wear suits, you should probably have a pair of black calf cap toe oxfords. C&J would be the ideal place to get those, although Tricker's are really not bad. AE and Grant Stone make solid ones too, or Meermin if you want to save money and get the care products.

If you're looking for something more casual... maybe a carmina snuff suede string loafer, or something like that?

You're pretty covered on the boot front, and your only pair of laced low-tops is a relatively chunky tricker's wingtip, so I'd focus on getting a dressier oxford, but that's just me. If black calf cap toes bore you, get whatever style of oxford you want, have fun with it.
Thanks for reinforcing the shoes care point. I really will invest in it.
I think the point about the trickers being my only lace up shoe is important. I think you're right in an Oxford. I think it'll be a brown Oxford brogue next, leather loafer after that then a set of black cap toe Oxford. Excellent suggestion and I do have my eye on carmina although I'm a bit worried about sizing. I have a 10 g loake Chelsea boot which is super comfortable but then mysize 10 Eton loafer has recently been giving me blister. I seem to vary between a 10 and 11 between styles and brands.

Toby843

Reaction score
Be aware that Allen Edmonds quality control has gone downhill significantly.

Grant Stone is entirely made in China. I've read that they do get their leathers from tanneries in Europe, but when I Inquired they told me many different things. They seemed shady (not wanting to tell me certain things) when I inquired about construction and finish. Common questions that other companies had no issues answering. Their leather also ages quicker from what reviewers mention.

Meermin has their shoes hand-lasted and hand-welt in China, but finished in Spain. They are transparent about this, unlike Grant Stone.
Great points and I'll bear it all in mind. Thanks.

Casaubon

Reaction score
The right answer is highly dependent on your needs, so I'll volunteer a few options based on what I'd do:

- Firstly, reiterating the black captoe oxford suggestion. For me, this has no alternative when the occasion calls for a suit, even if you wear it only a few times a year, as I do. Personally, I'm glad I own a pair even though I rarely wear them, it just seems they fit the purpose, like you'd wear hiking boots for climbing a mountain, even though you might do it only once a year.

- Although you are well covered in the boot area, as has already been mentioned, you might want something sturdier in case you live in a place which sees a lot of rainfall and low temperatures in winter. If not, disregard this. My preference here'd be a captoe, no brogueing, in chocolate brown or similar color.

- Simple brown derbies, unassuming, can easily go with everything you said.

- Double or single monks, in snuff suede, if you're looking to profit off the summer sales.

Love the black chelseas, by the way. Are those Loake's? I was considering buying them at one point, are you satisfied with them?

EDIT: Added another suggestion

Last edited:

Toby843

Reaction score
The right answer is highly dependent on your needs, so I'll volunteer a few options based on what I'd do:

- Firstly, reiterating the black captoe oxford suggestion. For me, this has no alternative when the occasion calls for a suit, even if you wear it only a few times a year, as I do. Personally, I'm glad I own a pair even though I rarely wear them, it just seems they fit the purpose, like you'd wear hiking boots for climbing a mountain, even though you might do it only once a year.

- Although you are well covered in the boot area, as has already been mentioned, you might want something sturdier in case you live in a place which sees a lot of rainfall and low temperatures in winter. If not, disregard this. My preference here'd be a captoe, no brogueing, in chocolate brown or similar color.

- Double or single monks, in snuff suede, if you're looking to profit off the summer sales.

Love the black chelseas, by the way. Are those Loake's? I was considering buying them at one point, are you satisfied with them?
Hi,
You're right about black cap toe Oxford. I will invest. Currently I have to wear the double monks and it's not quite formal enough for me.
Ref boots, my next pair are almost certainly going to be C&J Coniston so will tick that box.
I am very attracted to carminas double monks so I'm sure a new pair is in my future.
Hes the black Chelseas are loake. My brown ones are thw chats worth and I really love them, so comfortable. The black are apsley I think and equally comfortable and they go brilliantly with black jeans and a shirt. Love them.

Casaubon

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Can't really finde Loakes here, so I don't have the option of trying them on. But I definitely will think about buying them next.

The Conistons look amazing, as well as the Carminas! Lucky you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads