• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HF Mainlaine Madison - Fused???

eztantz

Reaction score
Was in NM last call yesterday and checked over some HF Madison suits (not Ltd line) and they appeared to be fused. I own two Hickey Freeman suits both of which are canvassed. I know the Burberry suits made in USA by HF are fused but I thought the HF suits above the Ltd were all canvassed. FWIW the lapels are canvassed but I guess they are going cheaper overall. My method is to rub the sleeve and the material from the front of the jacket - if it is fused the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve and if it is canvassed they will feel exactly the same. Can anyone confirm this or perhaps I am just off in my canvas testing?

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
Was in NM last call yesterday and checked over some HF Madison suits (not Ltd line) and they appeared to be fused. I own two Hickey Freeman suits both of which are canvassed. I know the Burberry suits made in USA by HF are fused but I thought the HF suits above the Ltd were all canvassed. FWIW the lapels are canvassed but I guess they are going cheaper overall. My method is to rub the sleeve and the material from the front of the jacket - if it is fused the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve and if it is canvassed they will feel exactly the same. Can anyone confirm this or perhaps I am just off in my canvas testing?

Uhhh the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve regardless (??). I think your testing method is off.

My HF Madison is canvassed, and my HF made Burberry is half canvassed (i think).

dropout5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
Uhhh the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve regardless (??). I think your testing method is off.

My HF Madison is canvassed, and my HF made Burberry is half canvassed (i think).

i pinch the front to see if the outer fabric can be pulled apart from the inner material. if not, it's fused.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropout5
i pinch the front to see if the outer fabric can be pulled apart from the inner material. if not, it's fused.

The key is the existence of three layers, thickness is irrelevant....

.... i think.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My HF Madison and Boardroom suits are fully canvassed, not fused.

Twotone

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does the sleeve come into play here?
confused.gif

It's fully canvassed.

eztantz

Reaction score
Uhhh the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve regardless (??).
Wrong.

The key is the existence of three layers, thickness is irrelevant....

.... i think.

Wrong again!

Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Where does the sleeve come into play here?
confused.gif

It's fully canvassed.

Read this.

Really not that different than a pinch test although searching for a 3rd piece of mateial is a bit more time consuming. You will inevitably feel the fabric being pulled from the canvas as you rub it even if you cannot feel the actual canvas.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong.

Wrong again!

Read this.

Really not that different than a pinch test although searching for a 3rd piece of mateial is a bit more time consuming. You will inevitably feel the fabric being pulled from the canvas as you rub it even if you cannot feel the actual canvas.

The conclusion therefore, is that the more time consuming process is the more accurate method.

asdf

Reaction score
Wrong.

My point is that while cloth + canvas is indeed "thicker" than cloth alone, so is cloth + fusible. Therefore the chest is always "thicker" and hence that method doesn't make sense. There is no fusible in suit sleeves.

... and Madison's are canvassed.

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
The conclusion therefore, is that the more time consuming process is the more accurate method.
To the contrary - I believe that it is not needed as it would be impossible for a fused suit to feel equally as thin as the rest of the suit fabric such as the sleeves.

My point is that while cloth + canvas is indeed "thicker" than cloth alone, so is cloth + fusible. Therefore the chest is always "thicker" and hence that method doesn't make sense. There is no fusible in suit sleeves.

I'm sorry but you appear to be unable to read anything properly. Firstly, when you feel it pulling away from whatever it is connected to you will be feeling only fabric, and fabric + nothing is thinner than fabric + fusible. Secondly, I never said anything about canvassed or fusible in sleeves nor did I say ALL Hickey Freeman suits are fused. In my OP I was quite clear that I own two of them that are canvassed. I said the ones I saw in NMLC were not - but since you have gone ahead checked all the suits made by HF I gather you are the final authority. I suggest you read the posts properly before adding your pointless observations. I apologize for your stupidity.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
... and Madison's are canvassed.[/QUOTE said:
Here lately I have had several Madison models in my shop for alterations that were 1/2 canvas and the sleeve interlining is fused too...

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
Here lately I have had several Madison models in my shop for alterations that were 1/2 canvas and the sleeve interlining is fused too...
Thank you! I knew I wasn't totally off...

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not really. Properly done canvassing is free floating. While you may be grabbing both the canvas and cloth in your first pinch, moving your pinching fingers to another area will give you a better sample. Rubbing the cloth in between your fingers will usually separate any residue static cling and separate the free floating canvas piece from the cloth.

Fusibles can give a false positive if you don't know what your doing. You can separate the first layer of fusible from whatever else is in there. Thereby creating the illusion of a third separate layer. Or the manufacturing method could actually create three separate layers, but that doesn't make it a free floating canvas, it just means that the glued stuff to the wool is thinner and theres another piece floating around in the chest.

bobtrash

Reaction score
11 years later...seems like none of this is written in stone. I see half canvass with light fusible now. Chest pieces that mimic a canvass layer when pinch testing. But no half canvass just fusible. Canvass that doesn't extend to the lapel so you get a flat 2 dimensional cheap look. So today it's hard to tell without cutting the lining. Or asking the suit maker exactly what they are making. Good rule: the less said about construction methods the cheaper the suit. If it is canvassed the ads will say it. If they don't forgetaboutit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads