• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HF Mainlaine Madison - Fused???

eztantz

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
967
Reaction score
10
Was in NM last call yesterday and checked over some HF Madison suits (not Ltd line) and they appeared to be fused. I own two Hickey Freeman suits both of which are canvassed. I know the Burberry suits made in USA by HF are fused but I thought the HF suits above the Ltd were all canvassed. FWIW the lapels are canvassed but I guess they are going cheaper overall. My method is to rub the sleeve and the material from the front of the jacket - if it is fused the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve and if it is canvassed they will feel exactly the same. Can anyone confirm this or perhaps I am just off in my canvas testing?
 

asdf

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
810
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by eztantz
Was in NM last call yesterday and checked over some HF Madison suits (not Ltd line) and they appeared to be fused. I own two Hickey Freeman suits both of which are canvassed. I know the Burberry suits made in USA by HF are fused but I thought the HF suits above the Ltd were all canvassed. FWIW the lapels are canvassed but I guess they are going cheaper overall. My method is to rub the sleeve and the material from the front of the jacket - if it is fused the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve and if it is canvassed they will feel exactly the same. Can anyone confirm this or perhaps I am just off in my canvas testing?

Uhhh the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve regardless (??). I think your testing method is off.

My HF Madison is canvassed, and my HF made Burberry is half canvassed (i think).
 

dropout5

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
441
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by asdf
Uhhh the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve regardless (??). I think your testing method is off.

My HF Madison is canvassed, and my HF made Burberry is half canvassed (i think).


i pinch the front to see if the outer fabric can be pulled apart from the inner material. if not, it's fused.
 

asdf

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
810
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by dropout5
i pinch the front to see if the outer fabric can be pulled apart from the inner material. if not, it's fused.

The key is the existence of three layers, thickness is irrelevant....

.... i think.
 

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Messages
1,019
Reaction score
43
My HF Madison and Boardroom suits are fully canvassed, not fused.

Twotone
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,272
Reaction score
535
Where does the sleeve come into play here?


It's fully canvassed.
 

eztantz

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
967
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by asdf
Uhhh the jacket front will be thicker and heavier than the sleeve regardless (??).
Wrong.

Originally Posted by asdf
The key is the existence of three layers, thickness is irrelevant....

.... i think.

Wrong again!

Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Where does the sleeve come into play here?


It's fully canvassed.

Read this.

Really not that different than a pinch test although searching for a 3rd piece of mateial is a bit more time consuming. You will inevitably feel the fabric being pulled from the canvas as you rub it even if you cannot feel the actual canvas.
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,272
Reaction score
535
Originally Posted by eztantz
Wrong.

Wrong again!

Read this.

Really not that different than a pinch test although searching for a 3rd piece of mateial is a bit more time consuming. You will inevitably feel the fabric being pulled from the canvas as you rub it even if you cannot feel the actual canvas.


The conclusion therefore, is that the more time consuming process is the more accurate method.
 

asdf

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
810
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by eztantz
Wrong.

My point is that while cloth + canvas is indeed "thicker" than cloth alone, so is cloth + fusible. Therefore the chest is always "thicker" and hence that method doesn't make sense. There is no fusible in suit sleeves.

... and Madison's are canvassed.
 

eztantz

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
967
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
The conclusion therefore, is that the more time consuming process is the more accurate method.
To the contrary - I believe that it is not needed as it would be impossible for a fused suit to feel equally as thin as the rest of the suit fabric such as the sleeves.

Originally Posted by asdf
My point is that while cloth + canvas is indeed "thicker" than cloth alone, so is cloth + fusible. Therefore the chest is always "thicker" and hence that method doesn't make sense. There is no fusible in suit sleeves.

... and Madison's are canvassed.

I'm sorry but you appear to be unable to read anything properly. Firstly, when you feel it pulling away from whatever it is connected to you will be feeling only fabric, and fabric + nothing is thinner than fabric + fusible. Secondly, I never said anything about canvassed or fusible in sleeves nor did I say ALL Hickey Freeman suits are fused. In my OP I was quite clear that I own two of them that are canvassed. I said the ones I saw in NMLC were not - but since you have gone ahead checked all the suits made by HF I gather you are the final authority. I suggest you read the posts properly before adding your pointless observations. I apologize for your stupidity.
 

TonyThe Tailor

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
470
Reaction score
7
... and Madison's are canvassed.[/QUOTE said:
Here lately I have had several Madison models in my shop for alterations that were 1/2 canvas and the sleeve interlining is fused too...
 

eztantz

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
967
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
Here lately I have had several Madison models in my shop for alterations that were 1/2 canvas and the sleeve interlining is fused too...
Thank you! I knew I wasn't totally off...
 

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
1,194
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by asdf
My point is that while cloth + canvas is indeed "thicker" than cloth alone, so is cloth + fusible. Therefore the chest is always "thicker" and hence that method doesn't make sense. There is no fusible in suit sleeves.

... and Madison's are canvassed.


Not really. Properly done canvassing is free floating. While you may be grabbing both the canvas and cloth in your first pinch, moving your pinching fingers to another area will give you a better sample. Rubbing the cloth in between your fingers will usually separate any residue static cling and separate the free floating canvas piece from the cloth.

Fusibles can give a false positive if you don't know what your doing. You can separate the first layer of fusible from whatever else is in there. Thereby creating the illusion of a third separate layer. Or the manufacturing method could actually create three separate layers, but that doesn't make it a free floating canvas, it just means that the glued stuff to the wool is thinner and theres another piece floating around in the chest.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,421
Messages
9,655,079
Members
201,750
Latest member
serhght
Top