• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HF Madison vs. Ralph Lauren Blue Label

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
I currently have a navy HF Madison without major alterations that I found adequate, but wish it to be slightly less "boxy".

I am now looking for a simple 2-button, conservative (not boxy fit nor trendy RLBL-like) plain charcoal suit. Besides considering another madison in charcoal, I am also interested in the polo blue label suit. I have no prior experience with the blue label, but developed an interest mainly for what people here described to be cleaner, slimmer look. Downside for polo is that it's fused. As you know, both can be had at around 700 dollars now. Which one should I get?

From the forum, I know I can get them at sub-500 dollar level if I look around, but I just don't have the time and would need one soon.

Thanks for your help. I am also interested in the other potential options at a similar price.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
just curious, why didnt you have the hf altered?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor

+1

trimmer/cleaner looks can easily achieved from alterations.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
that was before i found this place. At the time, I just fixed the hem and length of sleeve. Also, I didn't need my suit that often at the time. So what do you think?

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
+1

trimmer/cleaner looks can easily achieved from alterations.

To clarify I currently have the navy HF, but looking for a charcoal...

So are you saying I should forget about the polo and get the canvassed HF in charcoal then alter it?

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor

Also, I didn't have a tailor, still don't. Guess I should search the tailor thread for my town .

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both and no amount of tailoring on the HF Madison will get it to fit like the Polo stuff sans alterations. I don't care if it is fused, but the Polo tailor clothing has way more style than the HF and Brooks Brothers I own.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
I own both and no amount of tailoring on the HF Madison will get it to fit like the Polo stuff sans alterations. I don't care if it is fused, but the Polo tailor clothing has way more style than the HF and Brooks Brothers I own.
Well, different bodies type fit differently, but I plan to go to a polo store tomorrow to see how it fits. I just wonder about polo being fused vs. HF canvassed at a similar price... I want listen to people here to see if it's worth it to get the polo. Of course, how I fit in them tomorrow will be an important factor as well.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes you need a tailor. Here's some magic that JeffsWood's tailor done for him

before
after

Granted, if you want to buy a Charcoal suit, definitely go for RL Blue Label, on sale and you can have free alterations.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Granted, if you want to buy a Charcoal suit, definitely go for RL Blue Label, on sale and you can have free alterations.

Ralph's stores charge for alterations on discounted merchandise.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Ralph's stores charge for alterations on discounted merchandise.

What's their average cost with basic alterations?

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Yes you need a tailor. Here's some magic that JeffsWood's tailor done for him before after Granted, if you want to buy a Charcoal suit, definitely go for RL Blue Label, on sale and you can have free alterations.
Thanks for the links. Looked like he lost 10 pounds after the alterations. Then again, may be he did just that.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
What's their average cost with basic alterations?

They charge less than my alterations tailor. I think trouser waist, seat and hem is about $25 and around $50 to do the sleeves and sides of the jacket.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
They charge less than my alterations tailor. I think trouser waist, seat and hem is about $25 and around $50 to do the sleeves and sides of the jacket.

Decent job with the alterations? also when you say $50 to do the sides of the jacket? were you talking about waist suppression?

Sorry, still learning.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of Ziggyosk that I lifted from the what are you wearing thread. I think that fits pretty well for a Madison.

dsc03172qc7.jpg

Also, when you talk about 'readily available' for $700 where are you getting them? Outlets? If so, are you aware of how to determine which Hickeys are the mainline/canvassed vs. cheaper/made for the outlets/fused/Ltd. models? There are threads on this but I can give you a couple of tips if you need them. I can find $600 HF suits at Nord Rack, Off 5th, etc. all day long, but not normally in solid basic colors - unless they're the fused ones. I keep hoping to find a side vented, flat fronted charcoal on the cheap, but no dice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics