• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hey watch guys, why does the Rolex explorer 1 look better on a strap than on a bracelet?

dandy1

Reaction score
I think all watches look better on a leather strap ..although more costly with Swiss rip off strap replacements .. NATO strap can look ok if a little too utilitarian IMHO and perhaps as bit tacky as well .. et the explorer and go with a black leather strap separately ..

reinhardgs

Reaction score
the dresswatch-looks alike nature of Explorer I makes it looks better with a strap. and most watches looks elegant with those leathers. but remember that Explorer is a sport watch, might find better way with bracelet or rubber (or NATO) strap

NATO strap had a tendency of mil-wannabe looks that might not what you want on your watches. its tough and you could use it anywhere (leather might not be a good companion when meet waters). FYI, not all NATO straps are 'smell-free'

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wear what you like. That's all there is to it.

Get a casual leather strap, a few natos and rotate them with the bracelet; soon, you will know what you like.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

kalye

Reaction score

the dresswatch-looks alike nature of Explorer I makes it looks better with a strap. and most watches looks elegant with those leathers. but remember that Explorer is a sport watch, might find better way with bracelet or rubber (or NATO) strap

NATO strap had a tendency of mil-wannabe looks that might not what you want on your watches. its tough and you could use it anywhere (leather might not be a good companion when meet waters). FYI, not all NATO straps are 'smell-free'
What is a mil btw? I guess not a lot of takers for the NATO.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer it with a bracelet, as I do most sport watches.

dukerules

Reaction score
Wearing Rolex sports watches on natos and straps is popular among WIS types these days, and the look does work for me. However, and I'm not a bracelet lover, the original Rolex oyster bracelet reigns supreme.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just wear what you like. That's all there is to it.
Get a casual leather strap, a few natos and rotate them with the bracelet; soon, you will know what you like.

+1

reinhardgs

Reaction score
What is a mil btw?
I guess not a lot of takers for the NATO.
mil = military. NATO straps first used by the military for cheap but tough strap alternatives (who want to wear alligator strap to jungle into the mud anyway)

Rolex Sub used to be one of the watches that make NATO strap famous, being used by British Military. nowadays, we could see Luminox (and some other military themed watch) that feature NATO

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually one of my favorite Rolex watches. I personally like it on the bracelet, because (1) I like steel bracelets and (2) it gives you more versatility.

You can't really wear a NATO strap with a suit.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to find an Explorer II under $2k? (used of course)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 62 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 119 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 105 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 39 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%