• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey guys! I'm looking to change up my hairstyle. Advice appreciated! (PICS)

mcnealy

Reaction score
Hi! First off I'm probably a little younger than most of you guys here, and I'm not really that into "business" hairstyles. I'm a jeans-and-Tshirt kind of guy mostly, so I'm looking for a more casual kind of approach, probably messy. I've had my hair a little more grown out, as well as shorter. Right now it's sitting at the in-between stage, so I could get it cut either way. Here are some pics of me with different hair lengths: Longer...
calories005.jpg
Shorter...
37216_1455360860101_1115721268_31337574_3707557_n.jpg
Older Pic when I used to wear it kind of up, like a weird mix between a pompadour & Robert Pattinson. Sorry it's not a good shot, it's all I could find...
Picture009.jpg
I kind of want to get a "versatile" cut, if that makes sense. Kinda sporty, a little sexy at the same time. I want to be able to either wear my bangs or tousle it up at any time. I was gonna ask my barber to trim the back and sides a lot closer, but leave it longer at the top and layer it. See, lately I've really started to dislike my sides because they tend to sorta "poof" out like the Beatles. And since I've gotten more into regular exercise, my jawline's improved a LOT, and I think that shorter sides would draw more attention to it, if that's right. If I got it cut short on the sides and back, it would probably look fine, right? All those models in magazines do it, it seems. As for products I regularly use: Got 2b inPlay Sculpting Paste American Crew Fiber So I just use paste/wax most of the time. What do you guys think? Any input is extremely welcome!

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whichever style you choose, I think you'd look better with more hair, rather than less.

East2West

Reaction score
Keep the top longish and taper the sides down and keep the edges clean.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask your boyfriend what he prefers.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Props for liking The Beatles

Brad Pitt has sported some good hairstyles, do a Google Image Search

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shorter pic reminds me of Michael Cera lol

mcnealy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Shorter pic reminds me of Michael Cera lol

God. That's probably the most offensive thing I've ever heard, lol
lol8[1].gif

Yeah, I'm probably gonna keep it longer and layered on top, with the sides and back sort of tapered.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
no ****, really, but you're a suprisingly good looking guy. Like half the 'fix my hair' posters have bigger issues. I think you look good with short or long. you don't have a big forehead so nothing to cover up. I'd suggest getting some more mature jewelry. see what you think of these, sort of a messy light sidepart. thin straight hair. Could work for more serious occasions. Chuck Hughes
ai1II.jpg
our very own Gregaz
cV4Ag.jpg

mcnealy

Reaction score
Thanks! Those are a bit too short for me, personally. Here're the pictures I'm taking to the barber
orlando-bloom-fowhawk-hairstyle-1.jpg
8-1.jpg
I'm leaving the top quite a bit longer than it is in these pictures, but the sides are basically how I want them. They're shorter in the second pic though, and I'm probably going to opt for the slightly longer ones, or somewhere in between the two.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fauxhawk? Are you sure? You seemed like a good person.

mcnealy

Reaction score
lol, I'm just using the sides as examples of what I need done. Top's gonna probably be slightly longer than in the faux hawk pics.
smile.gif

mcnealy

Reaction score
UPDATE: oh lord. The stylist cut everything way too short. >
frown.gif
my sides are literally BUZZED DOWN
frown.gif
How do I fix this? I'm freaking depressed right now because my hair looks ridiculous. Any secrets to growing the sides back out faster? I only need like 1/8th of an inch, but as it stands, it's awful.

mcnealy

Reaction score
Here, check this out for example. Suppose the sides look like this now...
men-short-hairstyle.jpg
then how long would it take for them to grow to look like this?
780x780aspx71.jpg
Hopefully not long, right?

East2West

Reaction score
Give it a week..should look better by then

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics