• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heschung Thuya VS Paraboot Michael - the ultimate shoedown for some ugly shoes (sizing, style, etc).

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing a ton of comparison questions about these two heavy hitters of the tylorean mountain garb: the Heschung Thuya (sold most famously at NMWA and since discontinued) and the Paraboot Michael (sold everywhere that wants a shoe account).

I am posting my take of them below, and opening up the thread for other folks to give their opinions.

SIZING
I'm a 10.5D brannock, low instep. I have thuyas in 9 and Michaels in 44, length-wise they are almost identical, with maybe an extra millimeter on the Michaels. I would say that I have all the other traditional hallmarks for sizing - 10D van/barrie, 10.5 Aberdeen, 11 or 11.5 in sneakers.

Volume-wise, thuyas are gigantic (but that's cuz I have flat feet too probly). Thuya lacing basically overlaps on me, while Michaels have about a centimeter gap in between the two. You can see in the photos just how beefy that heschung sole is in comparison with the Paraboot.

LEATHER & CONSTRUCTION
Leather is definitely a lot better and heftier on the thuyas. Paraboot aren't bad, but like, heschung is on a different level. Construction is def better on the thuyas, but it's not as massive of a gap as leather quality. Paraboot also had more leather panels, and while don't necessarily cut any corners, they just don't feel as sturdy as the Heschung.

SOLE
For me, the paraboot sole is better for city walking, while the thuyas have taken me through some wild winters without a problem. Because of the sole on the thuya, the rubber sole is stitched on, whereas the Michaels are glued (I think this is correct?).

STYLING
thuyas are definitely a beefy country shoe, Michaels are available in hair-on and mismatched styles which are dope, so that's on you.

PHOTOS
20210410_151340.jpg

20210410_151358.jpg

20210410_151431.jpg

20210410_151444.jpg

20210410_151517.jpg

20210410_151412.jpg

Last edited:

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to hate both of these, but something about the hair-on Michaels is so perplexing I love it?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want to hate both of these, but something about the hair-on Michaels is so perplexing I love it?

In 3 months you'll have 10 pairs. I guarantee it. Ask me how I know.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate this style with great passion. They are awful and ruin every fit pic they appear in. Not surprising that Heschung discontinued the style.

However, I own several pairs of other Heschungs and Paraboots and they are all supremely comfortable and well made. Can recommend both brands.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thing is...are they comfortable? Because that's a big thing for me with something that polarizing

Def comfortable. Rubber sole, lots of toe room, thick and pliable leather. Comfier than traditional leather soles, that's for damn sure.

They were originally created for hiking in the mountains.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Michael is kind of heavy. I mainly wear loafers though so that may skewer my perception. I think most of the time I prefer wallabee/p204 to Michael, especially since I can go sockless with former.

im a 6D in Alden van and took a 39 in Michaels. Can probably size down .5 for a more snug fit.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Kleman are cemented construction, if you care about that stuff.

qubit

Reaction score
Also Mephisto Peppo as a chunkier soled, very comfy option. Leather may not be up to Thuya standards (haven’t compared) but is a nice thick pull up all the same and they are Norwegian welted AFAIK, also quite a bit cheaper. Picked up a pair for £175 from Pediwear and am very pleased at that price.

Ed13

Reaction score
Recently got a pair of ERKN with black pony hair on top. Thicker sole than the Michaels and very comfortable. Have only worn them a few times and will have to wait to see if they hold up well.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This now officially the ugly tyrolean shoe thread.

Post pics of your favorite disgusting bricks that you wear on your feet anyway cuz they're actually super cool.

I slept on these on farfetch unfortunately...

paraboot-michael-marche-marron-poils-vache-186663-avant.jpg

The YMC two tones are bangers too
46dd2a208fbd3e5d7ccc24a6bfcf2773.jpg

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Mephisto Peppo as a chunkier soled, very comfy option. Leather may not be up to Thuya standards (haven’t compared) but is a nice thick pull up all the same and they are Norwegian welted AFAIK, also quite a bit cheaper. Picked up a pair for £175 from Pediwear and am very pleased at that price.

Shoutout to these, they're dope

Screenshot_20210411-080324_Chrome.jpg

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to the stubbier toebox on the Paraboots but I love them all.
Tyroleans were my grandpa's go to footwear for most of his life (which was spent at sea, go figure) -possibly with an even beefier moc toe- and probably my earliest grail. Of course in those before times, I had no idea where to even begin to look for them or what they were called which only added to their mystique.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads