• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hertling MTO Experience

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, most of you should know Hertling started their MTO program last month and had a buy 1 get 1 promotion. I ordered the charcoal wool and got the cotton cashmere blend as the complimentary pair. I did ask for a taper of 7" leg opening.

After a longer than expected delivery time (3 weeks as mentioned on the website, actual delivery 5-6 weeks), one pair came out unwearable. Trying on the charcoal pair, the crease would rotate to the inside of my ankle while the seam would be at the front. Even when I try to pull the crease to the center, it feels like I am going to tear the fabric on the inner side of my leg. The cotton cashmere pair did not have this problem.

I brought both pairs to my tailor since I needed them cuffed and hemmed. He told me the charcoal pair cannot be saved and that the handiwork was really rushed, contributing to the unevenness.
IMG_20190920_104824__01.jpg IMG_20190920_105002.jpg

I sent them an email regarding the issue and have not replied, yet. The delivery time was not a big problem because they just started the MTO program and got backed up by the "overwhelming success" they keep mentioning whenever someone asks about delivery. In future orders, I believe they will make it on time, hopefully.

So my biggest gripe is quality control. I get that the trousers are handmade and handmade products will have imperfections, but the pair I received were really disappointing. I am pretty happy with the cotton cashmere pair, hence, I have not completely given up. I will update as things come along.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: Justin replied and I'll be shipping it back and getting a replacement. If this goes well, I'll order some more with the newer heavier fabrics.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Literally put an order for two trousers in like a month ago. Not even a single confirmation email or status update. Will never buy from them again.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Literally put an order for two trousers in like a month ago. Not even a single confirmation email or status update. Will never buy from them again.

Yeah man, I understand how you felt. There were minimal communication and update regarding the process. But if the order went through, you should have gotten confirmation.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
I just got my two pairs in last week. Yes, took a bit longer than anticipated but I suspect they got a lot of orders in the buy one get one promotion, so I’m not bothered. Patience is a virtue.

I got a pair of grey linen trousers, single pleat, slightly higher waisted, and side tabs. Came out really great. I had some extra notes regarding fit and they did a great job nailing the details.

The second pair was done in a brushed olive cotton. The fabric is a very subtle olive, more grey than olive, which I really like. Muted is a good thing for trousers in my book. This pair the fit came out a bit tighter than the linen, but it’s within reason, and I could easily get my tailor to take out the waist just a tad if need be.

Overall, this was an exceptional value, especially with the buy one get one promotion. I’ll just mention that their cuts and fabrics lean on the dressier side, even in the cottons, so don’t expect anything super casual. That’s not a knock, just something to consider if it’s a good fit for your style. Hand work is very good and it shows in the construction. Then there’s the wait, nothing crazy, but know that it’s going to take several weeks so relax and know that you’re getting a well made pair of trousers.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, does the crease line even matter if going with a 7" hem opening?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, does the crease line even matter if going with a 7" hem opening?
Yeah, the crease line was completely twisted to the inside of my ankle, almost to my heels. The side seams rotates to where the seams are. Trousers like that do not look normal to me.

I take this back. Customer service took care of my order. All good now.
That's great! Hope everything works out for you.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Did you guys get emails about when they shipped or did they just arrive one day? I've had radio silence since confirming the free pair's fabric choice.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Did you guys get emails about when they shipped or did they just arrive one day? I've had radio silence since confirming the free pair's fabric choice.

just arrived for me without shipping confirmation email. Came well packaged.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a reply since I was asking some other questions, I did get a notification once they shipped, though I do have an account on their website.

Rylsa

Reaction score
Anyone else not received their orders yet? Still radio silence for me..

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With Hertling, I would just prefer go through epaulet or wait until Incotex/rota/Paul Stuart/RL on sale

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have comparisons of the "Straight" and "Tapered" fits to the Epaulet Rudy and Walt fits? Close? The same? Pretty different? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads