• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herringbone

maufic

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone can enlighten me on what exactly is Herringbone? How is this fabric different from other fabrics used in making a suit. I always thought herringbone suits were for older men, but some of the herringbone suits I've seen online look really nice. So what are the characteristics of a herringbone suit?

Thanks,
Maurizio

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CG's right. Just a pattern on the suit, shirt, socks, etc. When I was a little kid, the Coasters had a song called Shopping for Clothes (great song). In it the salesman shows a suit to the customer and says it's "pure, pure herringbone." After his credit proves to be no good, the salesman says "that's a suit you'll never own." I thought then that herringbone was a special type of material and couldn't understand how a material made from fish bones could possibly work in clothes.

In any event, I love the herringbone pattern. Also the twill is great too. In fact, just ordered 3 shirts from H&H -- 2 herringbone and 1 twill. They are on sale for 33 pounds with a flat rate shipping of 19.5 pounds for all three. If you order only one or two shirts, each is 49.5 with the same flat rate. Seems a better buy than the Coles shirts which are not currently on sale. Also better than the H&K shirts which are also not on sale.

maufic

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

When would one wear herringbone. Would a herringbone suit be suitable for work or for a night out? or can it be worn almost in any situation?

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CG: How long did the delivery take?

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
Thanks for the info.

When would one wear herringbone. Would a herringbone suit be suitable for work or for a night out? or can it be worn almost in any situation?

It is considered somewhat 'sporty', relaxed, not dressy. I wear it for work sometimes and for nights out but not for a wedding or any other formal occasion.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You see some herringbones in black/black formal wear. It looks pretty crisp in navy blue, too--- so it's not always a step below in formality.

More common, I suppose, are the mid-greys and those are a shade more relaxed than some other patterns for daytime suits. I might think twice before wearing them on business in London, where dark suits rule, but otherwise I think they're fine.

Tweed herringbones, are, of course, the favored uniform of doctors all up and down the east coast. Jackets only for those-- not suits.

KBW

Reaction score
I can tell you that J Crew has an incredible herringbone jacket this season. It is outsourced from some very old company. I know a lot don't like the brand but I bought it and it is a great jacket.

JordanH.

Reaction score
herringbone, i think of it like Herring bone, you know fish bone? that's what it (kinda) resembles. i think herringbone suits are for anyone who can look good wearing one.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet

I wasn't paying strict attention- I'd say three, no more than four, weeks. It was one of five shirts so don't know if that made a difference. I usually expect about a month.

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I can tell you that J Crew has an incredible herringbone jacket this season. It is outsourced from some very old company. I know a lot don't like the brand but I bought it and it is a great jacket.
The grey 'refined herringbone blazer' with fabric from (IIRC) Abraham Moon?

One month on, how is it holding up?

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet

I just received an order from H&H in just over 1 week-- from online order to receipt at my door.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maufic
Thanks for the info.

That depends on the size of the herringbone and to a lesser extent on the cloth.

Large herringbones are for informal suits. Patterns that are small ,discreet and dark are used for formal wear.

The more formal weaves are worsteds. The larger ones tend to be tweed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads