• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herringbone vs. Houndstooth Sport Coat

Gravemente48

Reaction score
Hello fellow members,

I've decided to embark upon a new journey with respect to my wardrobe, but, first, I'd like some advice. I live in Spain, and Massimo Dutti is getting ready to have their summer sale. I'd like to either purchase a Herringbone or Houndstooth sport coat, but I'm not sure which one would be the best choice for me. I've thought of some questions that could possibly help me to decide on which one I shall end up buying, but feel free to add anything else in that I've not thought of. Below are links to the two blazers that I'm deciding on.

1) Is one more susceptible to pairing with patterns than the other? I absolutely love oxfords and dress shirts with a good pattern of any sort, so the more versatile, the better.

2) Is one pattern more formal than the other? I can't imagine so, but I thought that it would be worth it just to make sure.

3) I've chosen a shade of brown for both of these sport coats rather than a shade of grey because I simply don't wear black anything. I realize that wearing black shoes or black slacks isn't a prerequisite to owning a grey sport coat, but I felt like brown would be more versatile considering. Am I wrong?

Any insight or opinions that you guys would be willing to give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

http://www.massimodutti.com/webapp/.../691026/1904586/AMERICANA+ALGODON+LINO+ESPIGA

http://www.massimodutti.com/webapp/...1/691026/1987502/AMERICANA+LINO+PATA+DE+GALLO

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are both summer jackets. Brown is good, but that shade is so light -- what trousers would you pair with them?

If you need a summer jacket, and don't rely on tan trousers (as many men do during the summer), then pick the one you like better. If you need something year-round, then a brown pattern in lightweight wool would be good -- assuming you own a solid navy jacket.

Gravemente48

Reaction score
Those are both summer jackets. Brown is good, but that shade is so light -- what trousers would you pair with them?

If you need a summer jacket, and don't rely on tan trousers (as many men do during the summer), then pick the one you like better. If you need something year-round, then a brown pattern in lightweight wool would be good -- assuming you own a solid navy jacket.

Thank you for your response, YRR92.

I wouldn't say that I depend on tan trousers, but I'd say that I almost pair them with a navy blazer. It's just habit, I suppose.

As far as the trousers that I would wear with them, I'd say an off-the-wall color, like a Nantucket red or pink. Because both of the colors of these jackets are such light brown, I was thinking that I'd be pretty open to most colors, maybe even dark-brown trousers. And, of course, dark jeans for evenings would be a nice option.

What did you have in mind when you said brown pattern? I'm assuming a darker brown, yet a solid color, correct?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads