Herringbone Top Coat Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fashionnoob, Dec 3, 2009.

1. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior member

I am looking for a herringbone topcoat, something along the lines of this, http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9853/99853.jsp but less casual and maybe higher quality. I would like something that I can wear both with jeans/sweaters and with a suit underneath. I'm about a 46 jacket with 34 waist so I'd like something with a fit that displays that a bit. Also, can anyone advise as to the fit of a Burberry trenchcoat? If I wear a 46 as my suit jacket size would a 44 trenchcoat work for me or would it be too slim? Thanks in advance.

2. nohomo

nohomo Senior member

You're a drop 12?

Anyways, the Burberry trenchcoat is usually TTS if you wear a jacket underneath, so size down if you want to wear without a jacket.

3. fashionnoob

You're a drop 12?

Anyways, the Burberry trenchcoat is usually TTS if you wear a jacket underneath, so size down if you want to wear without a jacket.

Yeah, 12 drop. Thanks for the advice on the Burberry trench. Do you know whether $399 is a good deal for a lightly used one on ebay?

4. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

5. fashionnoob

Any new thoughts?

Also, can anyone speak to the quality of the J Press navy blazer? Is it acceptable, or should I pay the extra $300 for the BB iteration?

6. stant62

stant62 Senior member

I highly recommend getting a blazer with darts with your significant drop (I'm a drop 10 and sacks just don't work for me no matter how much I appreciate "trad"). The BB blazer is a good value during their semi-annual sales.

Any new thoughts?

Also, can anyone speak to the quality of the J Press navy blazer? Is it acceptable, or should I pay the extra $300 for the BB iteration?

7. fashionnoob

I highly recommend getting a blazer with darts with your significant drop (I'm a drop 10 and sacks just don't work for me no matter how much I appreciate "trad"). The BB blazer is a good value during their semi-annual sales.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like JPress does actually have a darted blazer on their site, although I don't know how darted it actually is.

8. fashionnoob

Just bumping one last time in case anyone can help me out with a coat in this category.

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

I am looking for a herringbone topcoat, something along the lines of this,

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9853/99853.jsp

but less casual and maybe higher quality. I would like something that I can wear both with jeans/sweaters and with a suit underneath. I'm about a 46 jacket with 34 waist so I'd like something with a fit that displays that a bit.

Also, can anyone advise as to the fit of a Burberry trenchcoat? If I wear a 46 as my suit jacket size would a 44 trenchcoat work for me or would it be too slim? Thanks in advance.

Unless they have improved significantly, J Crew is very low quality, IMHO.
    Burberry is excellent quality but can be over priced because you are paying for
    prestige as well. Full disclosure: I have a Burberry wool and cashmere top coat
    over 20 years old but worn rarely, as I am in California. It looks new.