Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Herringbone Top Coat Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fashionnoob, Dec 3, 2009.

1. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior member

I am looking for a herringbone topcoat, something along the lines of this, http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9853/99853.jsp but less casual and maybe higher quality. I would like something that I can wear both with jeans/sweaters and with a suit underneath. I'm about a 46 jacket with 34 waist so I'd like something with a fit that displays that a bit. Also, can anyone advise as to the fit of a Burberry trenchcoat? If I wear a 46 as my suit jacket size would a 44 trenchcoat work for me or would it be too slim? Thanks in advance.

2. nohomo

nohomo Senior member

You're a drop 12?

Anyways, the Burberry trenchcoat is usually TTS if you wear a jacket underneath, so size down if you want to wear without a jacket.

3. fashionnoob

You're a drop 12?

Anyways, the Burberry trenchcoat is usually TTS if you wear a jacket underneath, so size down if you want to wear without a jacket.

Yeah, 12 drop. Thanks for the advice on the Burberry trench. Do you know whether $399 is a good deal for a lightly used one on ebay?

4. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

5. fashionnoob

Any new thoughts?

Also, can anyone speak to the quality of the J Press navy blazer? Is it acceptable, or should I pay the extra $300 for the BB iteration?

6. stant62

stant62 Senior member

I highly recommend getting a blazer with darts with your significant drop (I'm a drop 10 and sacks just don't work for me no matter how much I appreciate "trad"). The BB blazer is a good value during their semi-annual sales.

Any new thoughts?

Also, can anyone speak to the quality of the J Press navy blazer? Is it acceptable, or should I pay the extra $300 for the BB iteration?

7. fashionnoob

I highly recommend getting a blazer with darts with your significant drop (I'm a drop 10 and sacks just don't work for me no matter how much I appreciate "trad"). The BB blazer is a good value during their semi-annual sales.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like JPress does actually have a darted blazer on their site, although I don't know how darted it actually is.

8. fashionnoob

Just bumping one last time in case anyone can help me out with a coat in this category.

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

I am looking for a herringbone topcoat, something along the lines of this,

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9853/99853.jsp

but less casual and maybe higher quality. I would like something that I can wear both with jeans/sweaters and with a suit underneath. I'm about a 46 jacket with 34 waist so I'd like something with a fit that displays that a bit.

Also, can anyone advise as to the fit of a Burberry trenchcoat? If I wear a 46 as my suit jacket size would a 44 trenchcoat work for me or would it be too slim? Thanks in advance.

Unless they have improved significantly, J Crew is very low quality, IMHO.
    Burberry is excellent quality but can be over priced because you are paying for
    prestige as well. Full disclosure: I have a Burberry wool and cashmere top coat
    over 20 years old but worn rarely, as I am in California. It looks new.