• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herring suede shoes

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the second. That £50 extra is going a long way.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
I'd go with the second. That £50 extra is going a long way.

This. I recall reading somewhere that the suede on the herring is pretty low quality

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
The exact pair linked above? If so, thoughts on the shoe?

Thanks for the other advice chaps, leaning more towards the AS pair now.

It's ok to me.

Looks like suede, feels like suede, looks better than most suede shoes around.

Dunno how it compares to the dearer one.

ktrp

Reaction score
Well, the herring is a semi-brogue with a straight cap-toe. It looks to me to be the Loake L1 201 in brown suede. The AS is a wingtip. If you want the cap, you're looking at the Herring (EDIT: scratch that, if you want the cap style, you're looking at the AS Cranford). If you like the wingtip better you could consider the Loake L1 202 in suede. You might have better luck finding Loake on sale elsewhere, herring's prices are good, but you're not going to hit them on ebay or whatever. For example, there's a guy selling uk sz 8 of them on ebay uk right now: ebay auction. I just went through a similar decision on whether to go with Charles Tyrwhitt/Herring Keswick (appear to be identical boots made as Loake Shilton w/ different leather) or the more expensive Alfred Sargent Culford's. Everything I've read is that the AS are indeed nicer, but they're also 50% more money. So it comes down to how much money you have, how you intend to wear them, and for how long.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
I just went through a similar decision on whether to go with Charles Tyrwhitt/Herring Keswick (appear to be identical boots made as Loake Shilton w/ different leather) or the more expensive Alfred Sargent Culford's. Everything I've read is that the AS are indeed nicer, but they're also 50% more money. So it comes down to how much money you have, how you intend to wear them, and for how long.

Which pair did you go for in the end? FWIW I have the Herring Keswicks and after wearing them hard for a year (walked in all kinds of mud rain and snow, went for a stroll in the sea, wore them multiple days in a row) and they are still looking great.

Chris Hill

Reaction score
Which one did you go with? I'm looking at these and can't decide on if the company shipping to the US is worth it for the style/price: http://goo.gl/rPKXV

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rps20111108_083704.jpg

i like my herring reading suede shoes fine

i think it's hard to beat the styling and quality for the price, even with the overseas shipping cost included

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interested myself. $163 delivered to the US is a good deal, even if the quality ain't brilliant.

Odradek

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I think maybe they're made at a Loake factory in Portugal.
I'm thinking about these Readings myself, as they're priced right, but bought some Loake Woodstocks (which are made in India) last week, so I'll have to wait for a while.

Herring prices all seem to have crept up lately,but the Reading price has stayed the same.
The Herring Hampstead has been out of stock since November,but now the price has jumped from £155 to £175.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads