• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herring Strathclyde vs Meermin Chukka?

Gosroth

Reaction score
Need a rubber soled chukka for fall/winter.

Herring Strathclyde or Meermin?

vs.

My main problem with the Herrings is that they are made in Portugal at Loakes factory and I´ve seen some rather awfull high-shine corrected grain shoes originating there.

While the Meermins appear to be excellent value, I do honestly like the higher heel and the two eyelet design of the Herrings more, plus the fact that the calf grain should be easier to care for during winter (it´s not so much the rain/snow as the salt stains).

Any owners of either shoe who would gracefully offer input?

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the meermins. They are nice, and when broken in will likely be very comfortable. I like the way they look also, but are a bit big around the lower ankle.

never seen the herrings, but have other herrings shoes and find them to be a good value.

Gosroth

Reaction score
I have the meermins. They are nice, and when broken in will likely be very comfortable. I like the way they look also, but are a bit big around the lower ankle.

Thanks for bringing up an important point - the Meermins are only availible on the EE wide Rui last. May I ask what size and what width fitting you normaly wear?

Is the width arround the ankles a big issue (something you constantly feel while walking) or something that can be resolved with a thicker sock?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I normally wear a 10D US, got the 9.5D in the meermins.

The width of the toe box is fine, and I feel like a bit of use will cause the shoe to mold to the foot. Its been so hot that I haven't gotten a good chance to wear them.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I´m looking at the Meermins too, but aren't they sized in the same manner as UK sizing which often will lead US10 to size 9 instead of 9.5?
Would it also be possible to get some pics of the shoes? It would be highly appreciated.

Gosroth

Reaction score

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, very sorry for not checking it out. Thanks for the link Gosroth!

tomee

Reaction score
Where can you get the meermins for international buyers?
Are they Goodyear welted so I can get them resoled?

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Need a rubber soled chukka for fall/winter.

Herring Strathclyde or Meermin?

vs.

My main problem with the Herrings is that they are made in Portugal at Loakes factory and I´ve seen some rather awfull high-shine corrected grain shoes originating there.

While the Meermins appear to be excellent value, I do honestly like the higher heel and the two eyelet design of the Herrings more, plus the fact that the calf grain should be easier to care for during winter (it´s not so much the rain/snow as the salt stains).

Any owners of either shoe who would gracefully offer input?
Don't forget that scotchgrain is basically a corrected grain process. For the UK and its weather I would go for the Herrings. Sydney type winters the suede.

Gosroth

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I'll be alternating between Stockholm and Tokyo winters mostly, so the fact is I can use both. I did order to Herrings for starters as they where on sale and quite affordable at 85 pounds. Review to follow...

stlms3

Reaction score
I received the meermin chukkas yesterday in snuff. I wear US10D in allen edmonds, 9E in C&J drummonds and the 9 of this chukka fits perfectly. It is one of my most perfect fitting pairs of shoes, and this is right out of the box. They look fantastic from almost every angle. The only view that is meh is looking straight down which really shows the rounded last... they look very gunboat, bullet shaped from this view. My alden dessert boots (which aren't the sleekest last themselves) look much better looking straight down, as do my AE amoks. I want one pair of shell chukkas, and I am debating if I should get these in MTO with a sleeker last, or look elsewhere. In the meantime, I will be waiting for my hiro based double monks in dark brown cordovan... still 12 weeks out :(

sdedalus1

Reaction score
Bump to ask Gosroth for that promised review?? I'm considering Herring Canterbury vs. Herring Strathclyde vs. Meermin chukka. Looks like Herring is sold out of the grain Strathclyde, so would have to go with "waxy brown." The pix on the Herring site make it look suspiciously shiny, like bad corrected grain, but some blurry pix from an old SF classified make it look like the more muted waxed brown you'd find on Clarks DB, which I'm looking to replace. Undecided between that and suede...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads