Herring Shoes - Quality/Size/Fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GonC, Jan 29, 2013.

1. GonC

GonC Active Member

Hello all,

I am a 23 year old yuppie in NYC and I am interested in purchasing a few pairs of shoes for work. As most of you know, NYC is notorious for terrible snow/rain, which has taken a toll on my first "real" pair of shoes, Allen Edmonds Park Ave. As a result, I am looking to invest and build a shoe collection for work. I am interested in the price/style of shoes Herring has to offer and I wanted to get your opinion on two pairs that I currently have my eye on, the Chamberlain and the Lambeth (rubber).

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=4596

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=4018

On that note, is the Herring Chamberlain/Lambeth a worthy shoe in terms of quality/longevity? If so, how should I go about ordering the correct size. On a brannock I measure up to a 12.5 US; however, given the AE Park Ave 5-65 "long and narrow" Last a 12 E FITS PERFECTLY. Thus, when ordering either the Chamberlain and or the Lambeth should I stick to the 12 UK (12.5 US) or should I also size down to a 11 UK (11.5 UK is not offered by Herring) which corresponds to a 11.5 US which I am afraid might be too small? I want to order the correct size the first time because I don't want to get slammed on paying customs/return shipping for the wrong size.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. GonC

GonC Active Member

Bump...does anyone own a pair of Herring shoes that can provide some insight on the quality and fit as I am looking to buy ASAP.

Thank you

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Herring does not produce these shoes. The first are made by cheaney, second by Barker. I prefer the cheaneys and my experience with cheaneys has been fine. Leather is a little dry outta the box, but they clean up nicely and wear great.

I would go with a UK 12.

also, if you trapse around in any shoes in the snow/salt/heavy rain, you will wear them more quickly. Invest in a pair of swims/tingleys to protect your finer shoes in this weather.

4. GonC

GonC Active Member

Also, do the benefits of the v-tread sole out weight the cons in terms of practicality and longevity?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

note that last 11028 (Chamberlain) is reasonably sleek. I sized down from AE last #5 in 7D to UK5.5F. Good luck and don't forget to use promo HSAB for a free shoe tree.

6. GonC

GonC Active Member

Thanks!

Also, AE Strand vs Herring Lambeth (Barker) which is a better buy?

7. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I am also interested in a couple of styles - the Richmond, Reading, and Hampstead.

I wear a US10 in just about every pair of dress shoes. I *thought* that equates to a UK9, but Herring's customer service suggested a UK9.5. Best to stick with what the seller says? Has anyone found that they should adjust up or down? thanks

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

depends on the shape of your foot. If you are truly a 10, a 9uk might work for you. I'm more like a 10.5, so I found the 9.5 more comfortable.

shameless plug, but I have a pair of burgundy hampsteads in a 9uk in B&S

9. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I really like that burgundy hampstead. Since there is no true universal sizing for shoes, I'm sort of all over the place. I have two pairs of US10 Allen Edmonds that fit ok, a US10.5 Cole Haan, a US9 Santoni and US9.5 Bally (which is actually too long). This is why I'm struggling... If they don't fit I'm paying $60 for shipping costs across the pond and back.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. Xtra

Xtra Senior member

I think the Herring Langdale (boots) and Herring Grassmere are two solid looking pairs of shoe.

I've recently purchased the Langdales and waded through slush and rain without thinking of Swims or how it would affect my shoes, an excellent feeling. They are both made by Cheaney (Herring Country Premier line of shoes) About 320 USD for the derbies and about 350 USD for the boots. There might be shoes that offer better value from Herring, but these shoes are quite nice. 360 degree storm welt and dainite sole helps protect you from the elements.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. katastrofa

katastrofa Well-Known Member