• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herring's performance is amazing as always.

I was looking for a very dark brown pair of oxfords (no brogueing), after pondering several alternatives I decided that the Cheaney Alfred in mocha calf in last 125 was my best option.

I contacted Herring's and told Ken Wilkins my fears about the colour, since I own Loake Alwych in dark brown I wanted a darker brown and didn't want to be stuck with an almost identical shoe. Ken offered taking a pickture side by side of the Cheaney Alfred and the Loake Aldwych so I can make a comparison. With that information I made the desition and I am very happy with the Cheaney Alfred, the colour is like very dark chocolate, I will use black polish to intensify the colour.

Thank you Ken, great service as always.

IMG_8208.JPG
IMG_8210.JPG
IMG_8211.JPG
IMG_8213.JPG
IMG_8220.JPG

Kevin24

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried Herring's Blake stitched Italian made shoes? If so, how is the quality/durability?

Odradek

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for Herring's amazing customer service.

A local retailer was having a sale with a discount on the Herring Exmoor boots, so thinking ahead to the winter, I paid online and went to collect them yesterday. Last pairing my size.
I've other pairs of Cheaney boots so was sure of my size, just did a quick try on of one boot in the shop to double check.

When I got home I noticed that the two boots didn't quite match up. Took a photo of the heels and sent it too Herring to check if that was normal.
Got a very quick reply from Sean Prowse at Herring, saying that they looked like seconds, and offering to exchange them for a new pair, even though I bought them elsewhere !

Now that's service.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
I'd really like to buy a pair of the Herring Reading II's but I am a EEE width. For comparison in Allen Edmonds the 65 last (Strand/5th Ave, etc) fits me perfectly in 9.5 EEE.

Would the Reading II in G fitting be likely to fit me?

Fliegerguy

Reaction score
I'd really like to buy a pair of the Herring Reading II's but I am a EEE width. For comparison in Allen Edmonds the 65 last (Strand/5th Ave, etc) fits me perfectly in 9.5 EEE.

Would the Reading II in G fitting be likely to fit me?

Looks like you are good to go!

paxonus

Reaction score

Looks like you are good to go!
According to the chart, a British narrow is an E, which is the same as a USA E. That can't be right, since a USA E is a wide fit. It makes more sense for a British E to be a USA C; a British F to be a USA D, and a British G to be a USA E.

Wingtip77

Reaction score
E is standard fit for brands such as Crockett & Jones and Edward Green. Cheaney, Loake and others use F to denominate their standard widths.

They are both equivalent to a US D width I believe.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Huh. According to this chart at pediwear the European G fit is equivalent to a US EE width:

https://www.pediwear.co.uk/chart.php

I suppose it's possible I could fit into an EE (maybe size up a half size) but I really don't know.

theryeguy

Reaction score
Would herring be recommended for a good upgrade from standard department store shoes? It would be my first pair of quality dress shoes. I'm in the US so the shipping and returns are very appealing. What to people think of their Barker or Cheaney branded shoes?

Last edited:

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herring has all sorts of different quality levels. Some are extremely high quality, some are okay but kind of meh. You can usually tell by the price. Herring prices, in my opinion, are generally true to life. In other words, you are generally not going to find a $350 shoe on Herring that is of lower quality than a $200 shoe on Herring. Meanwhile if a shoe costs $350 or more on Herring, it is probably worth at least that amount in terms of construction and design. Whether it is worth that much to you is a different story. But compared to a typical US department store, almost all the shoes on Herring--even the $150 ones--would likely be an upgrade.

WilYa

Reaction score
Herring has all sorts of different quality levels. Some are extremely high quality, some are okay but kind of meh. You can usually tell by the price. Herring prices, in my opinion, are generally true to life. In other words, you are generally not going to find a $350 shoe on Herring that is of lower quality than a $200 shoe on Herring. Meanwhile if a shoe costs $350 or more on Herring, it is probably worth at least that amount in terms of construction and design. Whether it is worth that much to you is a different story. But compared to a typical US department store, almost all the shoes on Herring--even the $150 ones--would likely be an upgrade.
Agree completely! Herring is perfect for the entry into quality footwear.

ijustknow

Reaction score
According to the chart, a British narrow is an E, which is the same as a USA E. That can't be right, since a USA E is a wide fit. It makes more sense for a British E to be a USA C; a British F to be a USA D, and a British G to be a USA E.
That is quite new to me, I always wondered where G comes from. Because John Lobb or EG only offer E, EE, I never spot a EEE from English bootmakers.
So, if for some brand, F is US D, then G should be US E, am I right?

ijustknow

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics