• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carl1955

Reaction score
Then I've narrowed it to two lol.

Just wondering how do you think they would compare to the Church's Diplomat? From what I understand is AS above or below Church's?

Or is the increased price of the Church's just a reflection of Prada ownership and not quality?

I don't own any Church shoes but I visit their outlet shop at Cheshire Oaks two or three times a year and the quality always looks very good, I do have a pair of Cheaney boots I paid £350 for which are very good quality and I know there use to be a connection between Church & Cheaney so if the Cheaney boots are anything to go bye I'm sure the Church Diplomat would be worth the money, however I sometime feel the Church lasts are sometimes a little on the cumbersome side which tends to put me off.

Personally I think I'd rather pay £315 for the Herring than £450 for the Church

Carl.

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
My experience wasn't that good, which was perhaps partially my own fault.

First the good part. The shipping was prompt and the shoes came well packaged. The shoes themselves looked quite nice. The quality of the leather was excellent for the price point and the construction of the shoe itself was also excellent for the price.

Now for the bad part. I ordered the Chaucer wholecut in black. For US manufactured shoes, I am a solid size 9D for the vast majority of shoes I've purchased. On the recommendation from the web site, I ordered just 1/2 size down from my US size for the UK size. I was a bit skeptical of this as I am normally a full size down for UK sizing, but I generally follow the recommendation from the seller so 8.5UK it was. This turned out to be a big mistake as the shoes were easily 1/2 size too big, if not more. Upon trying them on, heel slip was completely unacceptable, and I'm quite sure that even after break in it wasn't going away. To make the problem worse, the heel felt and looked as if it was higher relative to the toes, so my foot tended to slide forward. So even had I ordered a 1/2 size smaller, I'm pretty sure the fit of the shoe would still have been unacceptable.

Back they went with the problem being shipping going the other way from the US cost $50 after spending $20 to have them shipped to me. So I'm basically out $70 for the experience of trying on a pair of their shoes. I'm quite disappointed as the shoes looked very nice and I'm quite sure they would have shined up beautifully.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then I've narrowed it to two lol.

Just wondering how do you think they would compare to the Church's Diplomat? From what I understand is AS above or below Church's?

Or is the increased price of the Church's just a reflection of Prada ownership and not quality?

I wouldn't recommend the diplomat. The highest line of Church's is good (Premier collection?) but very expensive for what you get. I'd stick with Sargent for the value.

Last edited:

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend the diplomat. The highest line of Church's is good (Premier collection?) but very expensive for what you get. I'd stick with Sargent for the value.
I concur. The Church's are great shoes and I love my 73 last captoes from Herring. However Church's are really expensive when taking into account the other options on offer, even from a Herring Shoes ONLY perspective. If you were to only consider the offerings on Herring than I would suggest either the higher grade Herring offerings (those made by Alfred Sargent and Cheaney) or the Alfred Sargent/Trickers offerings. For a little more cash, the Herring 1966 line is superb and is essentially an equivalent of a G&G Deco. Fork out a little more money now and get a better pair and you will be more satisfied in the longer term.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

I was looking at getting a pair of black half brogue's

I was looking at a pair of Sanders Acton Vs. Herring Edward II's Vs. Church's Diplomats.

Sander's are very doable for me, while the Edward II's are middle price range and the Church's are breaking the bank(but I'm willing to drop some $$ if I think they are worth it)

Which would you guys recommend in terms of quality and value for money?

Herring's service is the best so you won't have any issue with them. Church's is very well made, with thick but soft leather; for me the 173 last is the best for an oxford. The AS 109 last (in which is made the Edward) does not work well for my feet but the shoe is a beautiful and AS makes wonderful shoes.

jhass1

Reaction score
I have bought 5 pairs of boots and shoes from Herring. They are extremely helpful and the shoes are of fantastic quality. I had a problem with a pair of Church's shoes and they resolved it quickly and courteously without issue (some 18 months after purchase). HOWEVER they are currently advertising some of their premium shoes as including "FREE Worldwide delivery". I wanted to buy a pair of Church's shoes at £425 and send them to my brother in Spain. Once the country was changed in the delivery address the price changed! To €590! And, to add insult to injury they actually converted that to an "approx" £512.95 equivalence. So the "Free" worldwide delivery is actuall free if you are in the UK but delivery to Spain (which is, after all, part of "worldwide") effectively costs £87.95. Which is steep. I had several email communications with Herring but they cannot seem to see how misleading this is. It makes me think twice about dealing with a company that behaves in this way.

kaspal

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and got a pair of Herring Knightsbridge. Very nice shoe and got delivered in 3 days (to Sydney, Australia!).

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/knightsbridge-oxford_oxford/black-calf

However the shoe fits a bit tight in the toebox, toes are a bit bunched up. Fits perfectly everywhere else (heel, mid foot). Does not slide back or forward. This is without the laces even tied

Is this something that will get better over time with this style of shoe? Or should I go ½ size up or get a wider G fitting (I got a 5.5F). I'm a bit worried the G might be too loose.

Returns are a rather costly exercise outside of the UK so really want to get this right.

Last edited:

Carl1955

Reaction score

I bit the bullet and got a pair of Herring Knightsbridge. Very nice shoe and got delivered in 3 days (to Sydney, Australia!).

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/knightsbridge-oxford_oxford/black-calf

However the shoe fits a bit tight in the toebox, toes are a bit bunched up. Fits perfectly everywhere else (heel, mid foot). Does not slide back or forward. This is without the laces even tied

Is this something that will get better over time with this style of shoe? Or should I go ½ size up or get a wider G fitting (I got a 5.5F). I'm a bit worried the G might be too loose.

Returns are a rather costly exercise outside of the UK so really want to get this right.

Hi Kaspal

I don't have any experience of Herring shoes however if you look at the description of the Chestnut colour it says they are made by Loake so I would assume the Black are to That being the case I have had a pair of Loake Burrford boots now for nearly two years that were tight fitting when I got them and still are now.

Carl

Alexandru

Reaction score
Just got an email from Herring. "HSB2017" voucher code will get you 20% off till the end of February.

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Looking at Barker Hooper Chelsea boots in tan.

I've owned the Barker Pembroke (UK8) and I sold it mainly due to
1) The tan was too rich (I prefer something a little darker shade and online pics are always deceiving as I found out)
2) I typically wear Size 9 US in all my boots and while the Pembroke fit fine, it took a long time to break it in and sometimes caused a little of discomfort in the toe section due to the dress design.

Questions:
1) The Hooper is a on different last (446 VS 29 on the Pembrokes).....should I order the Hooper in the size 8UK or go 1/2 size up to 8.5 UK?
2) Is there any real life pictures on the Hooper in tan compared to the Pembroke?

Thanks.

aspenx

Reaction score
EDIT: My issue was clarified.

Last edited:

mitsein

Reaction score
Another positive vote for Herring. I bought a wholecut and a brogue, the service and shoes are equally excellent. For the wholecut, I was told (by the customer support) to consider half a size less than my usual because they are made on a sleek last. I did choose the suggested size and the it fit perfectly.

BrogueMale

Reaction score
Anyone know of any current (March 2017) discount codes?

I just missed the end-of-Feb deadline for the 'HSB2017' code, and now I'm delaying my purchase because I'll feel swindled if I don't get some money off..!

Thanks in advance!

Wowee Zowee

Reaction score
Google for the ask andy discount. I just got shoe trees with my new chukkas

shoelearner

Reaction score

Back row: from left to right: jfitzpatrick burgundy button boots, jfitzpatrick jodhpur boots, jfitzpatrick black button boots, jfitzpatrick green button boots.
Middle row: herring blue fiennes, herring red shackleton, herring two tone shackleton, jfitzpatrick rainier
Front row: herring drake, herring jasper double monk.

4 out of the 5 herring shoes are on the 1966 last HerringxAS, very very sleek last and waist. I really like them a lot, too bad the 1966 collection is not coming back, I remember I emailed them and was told there was no plans of restocking or introducing new 1966 designs, such a pity as the 1966 collection was in my opinion the sleekest shoes herring offered on their web site. I remember at one point they offered a wholecut in light chestnut calf on the 1966 last, damn if I could turn time back I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Great customer service.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads