• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

I was wondering how are the Herring Grassmere derbies by C[COLOR=444444]heaney overall?[/COLOR]

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/grassmere-rubber_brogue/mahogany-grain

As well as the Canning Derbies also by Cheaney?

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...=5313&siteNavEvent=herringToHerringEquivClick

I ask as I was looking for a good brogued derby and was shopping around for the best value. In this catagory I was also looking at  similar models by Alden, Crockett and Jones, Church's and Oak Street. I was wondering how these would stack up compared to the other options or my mainstay shoe brand Allen Edmonds?

Hoggs of Fife have the Kenmoor which is £210 but currently there is a 20% discount. Scotch grain Dainite sole longwing. Probably made by Loake

https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/footwear/mens/british-handmade-shoes/kenmore-longwing-brogue-4155

Odradek

Reaction score

I have the Herring Langdale which I believe is the boot version of the Grassmere. I could not recommend it more, superb. I have shoes and boots from a lot of the high end producers and this one from Cheaney stands right up there with them. If they made the Grassmere in a G fitting I would get them in a heartbeat. For the price the Langdale (and thus I assume the Grassmere) punches well above its weight.

I too have a pair of the Herring Langdale boots and I agree completely.
Great boots.

Odradek

Reaction score

I have the Herring Langdale which I believe is the boot version of the Grassmere. I could not recommend it more, superb. I have shoes and boots from a lot of the high end producers and this one from Cheaney stands right up there with them. If they made the Grassmere in a G fitting I would get them in a heartbeat. For the price the Langdale (and thus I assume the Grassmere) punches well above its weight.

I too have a pair of the Herring Langdale boots and I agree completely.
Great boots.

Howland

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Churchs Chukka boot and the service was fast

pleatedjeans

Reaction score

urban

Reaction score
I have the Grassmere and absolutely love it. It has a nice burnish after i applied wax on it.
It is my favourite casual shoes. It is one of the pairs which i will gladly resole if needed.

I have shoes from EG, Carmina, Enzo Bonafe, JFitzpatrick, Vass among others. And I will tell you that the Grassmere is a real value for money pair of brogues.

You won't regret owning one.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I have the Grassmere and absolutely love it. It has a nice burnish after i applied wax on it.
It is my favourite casual shoes. It is one of the pairs which i will gladly resole if needed.

I have shoes from EG, Carmina, Enzo Bonafe, JFitzpatrick, Vass among others. And I will tell you that the Grassmere is a real value for money pair of brogues.

You won't regret owning one.

Based on the comments here and elsewhere I'm def going to grab the Grassmere. Seems like the best value for the money.

JW, what brand of belt would best match the Grassmere color? Would their Oak Bark brand work or am I better off just determining that when I actually get it?

Iotapa

Reaction score
I've been looking to get a pair of resolable boots to alternate with my Iron Rangers and I've been drawn to these English brogue boots, Herring seems to best the best deal because of the lack of duties below $800. Right now the Loake-made Hawkshead has my eye because I like the look of the peddle grain leather. Does anyone know if it's full grain? How good is it compared to, say, AE Daltons? Even with shipping it's significantly cheaper, and I've heard Loake is on the same level as AE. Unfortunately it's not on sale for the Black Friday deal, so should I wait and hope for a potential December sale like last year?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any free shipping or other discount code(s)?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ANDY10 - Y[COLOR=444444]ou need to spend £50.00 GBP on full price items to use this code. according to the Herring site[/COLOR]
thanks! Trying to get awake item though... oh well, might have to bite the bullet...

Kevin24

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking at getting a pair of black half brogue's

I was looking at a pair of Sanders Acton Vs. Herring Edward II's Vs. Church's Diplomats.

Sander's are very doable for me, while the Edward II's are middle price range and the Church's are breaking the bank(but I'm willing to drop some $$ if I think they are worth it)

Which would you guys recommend in terms of quality and value for money?

Carl1955

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking at getting a pair of black half brogue's

I was looking at a pair of Sanders Acton Vs. Herring Edward II's Vs. Church's Diplomats.

Sander's are very doable for me, while the Edward II's are middle price range and the Church's are breaking the bank(but I'm willing to drop some $$ if I think they are worth it)

Which would you guys recommend in terms of quality and value for money?
Hi Kevin24

Personally I'd go for the Herring Edward ll's , I like the sleek style, they also look well made mind you their made by Alfred Sargent so I can understand they would be.

Pity their not currently in the Herring sale!!, but don't forget to use ANDY10 for a 10% discount!!

Carl.

Last edited:

Kevin24

Reaction score

Hi Kevin24

Personally I'd go for the Herring Edward ll's , I like the sleek style, they also look well made mind you their made by Alfred Sargent so I can understand they would be.

Pity their not currently in the Herring sale!!, but don't forget to use ANDY10 for a 10% discount!!

Carl.

Then I've narrowed it to two lol.

Just wondering how do you think they would compare to the Church's Diplomat? From what I understand is AS above or below Church's?

Or is the increased price of the Church's just a reflection of Prada ownership and not quality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads