1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Herring Shakespeare II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bourbonbasted, Aug 22, 2011.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I'm not 100% sure of the details but after talking to the eBay seller these were a custom order through AS using one of their darker (non burnished) leathers. A Fine Pair of Shoes has them in espresso and the the AS website has their more burnished look (as mentioned). Again I don't know the real story and my source is an eBay seller, but allegedly the leather on these was a custom job.

Either way I like the color and I agree with you Trifon, these shoes are incredible and a lot more impressive IMO than the C&Js.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hi all

So I just got a pair of Herring Shakespeare IIs in suede (pic below).

First impression out of the box was that they're very pointy in the toe. After wearing them for a day they don't seem so pointy anymore. FWIW, I've had this reaction to other shoes before--they seem weird looking at first, and then, after a short while, perfectly normal-looking.

Still, the last might be a little too elongated for jeans. Everything else about the shape is fine, great even, and the suede is a nice colour.

One other thing is that I'd prefer silvery buckles to brass-coloured ones. But this is of course minor.

I guess the obvious comparison with these is with C&J Lowndes. Would I love C&J Lowndes harder? Probably, everyone here loves C&J, I expect I'd be no different. But then, these are $300 shoes and C&Js are $400+ ($500 locally here in Oz), I'm no baller, and suede is suede. At the end of the day, I expect to be wearing these with pleasure for years to come.

[​IMG]

3. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Senior member

how is the sizing on these shoes?

i wear a 9d in allen edmonds and im thinking i might got with the UK8 in these considering the more aggressive last these are built on.

the outsole measurements were UK8 is 31.2 cm X 11 cm and the 8.5 is 31.8 cm X 11 cm.

also, it will cost about 290 after shipping and VAT, is this ia good pricepoint for these shoes?

4. Rivey

Rivey Well-Known Member

290 is spot on. I paid around 300 to have my Shakespeares shipped to CA. I wear a 9.5D and sized down to UK 8.5, and IMO, that's your best and really only option. My Shakes don't fit perfectly, but if I would have sized down to a UK 8, they would not have fit at all.

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Just a nitpick, but if you wear a US9.5 and you buy a pair of shoes in UK8.5, that's not 'sizing down'. That's buying the exact same size.

6. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

I liked the old Herring Shakespear II better. The new brown color isn't as nice as the old one. It might be possible to alter the color somewhat, but I myself did go for C&J Lowndes. :inlove:

7. Rivey

Rivey Well-Known Member

No you're right to nitpick. It's not sizing down, I just chose the corresponding UK size. But if I had sized down, I don't feel that they would have fit properly. And I also have the same pair of HS II's in suede as you Tobias. How do you like them after a month of so of wear?

8. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Senior member

well the size chart on their website says that US9 = UK8.5

9. Rivey

Rivey Well-Known Member

IMO, Herring's size chart is off. You should probably go with the UK 8 if you are a US 9.

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i recently ordered the herring reading in brown suede... and i have to agree the herring sizing chart is not very accurate
    should do a full 1 size "down" conversion from US to UK, not the 1/2 that they show on the chart

11. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

You should get some Cedarville shoe trees to go in your new C & J shoes. It would be a shame to not treat your shoes to the best.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  12. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

If you can afford it get the C&J lasted shoe trees, not Cedarville! The lasted trees are expensive but are sized to fit the shoes perfectly. Those are truly "the best."
    Fred

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I really, really like them! They are in the prized 'twice a week' slot of my work shoe rotation :)

14. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

Don' think so, had a bad experience with Cedarville, bought shoe trees in correct size, but they didn't fit and Cedarville were not very cooperative. I have bought Bexley shoe trees instead, they're too in cedar but cheaper than Cedarville. Another plus is that they're within EU, so much lower shipping costs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  15. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

Yeah, he wasn't thinking of your douchy tread at all when he wrote that :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  16. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

Actually, that's all I was thinking about when I wrote this. I think it's called sarcasm!

17. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Careful now, he might sue you.

18. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

You'd bet I'll do! :sly:

19. GQ1

GQ1 Senior member

Use code HSAB courtesy of Ask Andy Forums for a FREE pair of full size cedar shoe trees from Herring Shoes.

20. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

They're nice trees too. About the best thing AAAC has ever done for me.