• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Herring Barrow - Chukka for UK winter

020-banker

Reaction score
Looking at getting my first pair of rubber-soled chukka boots for my first fall/winter season in London UK. Hoping to be able to wear them with a suit on non-client facing days. While I work in the City, I'm not English, so adhering strictly to black is not necessary.

I was originally looking at Loake Pimlico from the 1880 line, however the price just seems to have increased on this model (to GBP170 - a little dear for me). This seems to be the #1 chukka recommended on SF.

Herring shoes has a model called the Barrow, finished in something called "Brown waxy".

1) Any experience with this shoe? These are made by Loake for Herring?
2) What is this finish? Cordovan? Is waxiness desireable for coping with a wet winter? Any downsides? Will it rub brown on my trousers?
3) Should I just go for the Pimlico instead?

Behold, the Herring Barrow (GBP145 http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...dID=6&catID=93 ):

Loake Pimlico (1880 line, GBP170 http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...dID=7&catID=20 ):

020-banker

Reaction score

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Just go to the shoe shop in Strutton Ground, Victoria.

They have a pebble grain Loake chukka for a fraction of the prices you quote.

020-banker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
Just go to the shoe shop in Strutton Ground, Victoria.

They have a pebble grain Loake chukka for a fraction of the prices you quote.

Discount Shoe Sales? I will give it a shot. Do you mean a fraction OF, or a fraction OFF? Like 30p to the pound?

Online, the cheapest I found is here ( https://www.theshopforshoes.com/shop/info_2699.html ) at GBP125 with free shipping for either leather or suede.

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 020-banker
Discount Shoe Sales? I will give it a shot. Do you mean a fraction OF, or a fraction OFF? Like 30p to the pound?

Online, the cheapest I found is here ( https://www.theshopforshoes.com/shop/info_2699.html ) at GBP125 with free shipping for either leather or suede.

They have a living to make - so obviously a fraction off.

The chukkas were pebble grain Loakes at slightly over £100.

Loake Royals(not chukka) are around £80 compared to a lot more at Pediwear or Herring.

Discount shoes always have cheap Bass Weejuns too.

juniper

Reaction score
Note that neither have a storm welt.

There are two variations of the Loake 1880 chukka - one has a 360 degree welt and one doesn't. I don't know what effect on weatherfastness that has, though.

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
Note that neither have a storm welt.

There are two variations of the Loake 1880 chukka - one has a 360 degree welt and one doesn't. I don't know what effect on weatherfastness that has, though.

You do not need a storm welt for Winter wear in London. IMO chukkas look best without them.

020-banker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
You do not need a storm welt for Winter wear in London. IMO chukkas look best without them.

Interesting. I was out in the rain Wednesday in my 360-welt Allen Edmonds, and was waterlogged in 5 minutes (mostly due to the leather sole of course).

SuitMyself

Reaction score
How is a storm welt different from a 360 degree welt?

??????????????????

020-banker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
How is a storm welt different from a 360 degree welt?

??????????????????

A 360 is what all AE's have, but a storm welt has a piece on top that makes it more waterproof and more clunky.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.