• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes wallet, scarves...fair value?

seok

Reaction score
I've been shocked by how expensive the Hermes wallets and scarves are...

What's so special about them, and what do you think is fair value? How much would you pay for them?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hermes scarves are outsourced to a silk company; however, they are known for the limited edition prints. Maybe one time ago, they made their own signature items.

As for their leather goods, that is another facet of the legend although they do make leather goods inhouse, and the quality tends to back up the reputation. Many makers also imitate the Hermes look.

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
You're paying a premium for the name and for owning a status symbol.

Make no mistake, they are of good quality but $500 CDN plus (at Holt Renfrew) for a wallet is nuts. You have nothing but a receipt to put in it once you've purchased it.

seok

Reaction score
so how much would you be willing to pay for them? i think i may be able to get some NWT/NWOT Hermes wallets for $200ish.

Originally Posted by LegB4Wicket
You're paying a premium for the name and for owning a status symbol.

Make no mistake, they are of good quality but $500 CDN plus (at Holt Renfrew) for a wallet is nuts. You have nothing but a receipt to put in it once you've purchased it.

nelly

Reaction score
Honestly, I think if you're the type of person who is phased with paying $200 for a pocket square or $500 for a wallet, then you probably shouldn't be buying Hermes items in the first place. You'd be better off saving the $500 towards a nice suit.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
throw away the name "hermes" from the question and put in "gucci", "louis vuitton", "prada", "christian dior", "ferragamo", etc... and you'll get the same answer.

nelly

Reaction score
I think what I'm getting at really is that I would always concentrate on getting quality "basic items" like suits, shirts, shoes, etc. before spending money on accessories. Granted, it should ultimately come together but one step at a time for poor students like me.

Along the lines of your questions, my sister has some hermes accessories (watch, loafers) and they seem very high quality as as expected.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
throw away the name "hermes" from the question and put in "gucci", "louis vuitton", "prada", "christian dior", "ferragamo", etc... and you'll get the same answer.

The quality of Hermes leather goods is far superior to that of the designers that you mention. Hermes is in a different league. They operate as an atelier, using old world techniques and the finest skins on the market. That's why they're backlogged on orders for saddles, Birkin bags and such.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermes leather goods are very high quality. Yes, the price is high...so is Kiton.

tom2517

Reaction score
Well, I am a fan of Hermes. I agree that they are very expensive, and some people, or make that most people may think it is not worth the premium over other brands such as Gucci, LV, or etc.,

But if you want the best (in terms of major fashion houses), and can afford it, go for it. I don't think there is a "fair value" for products like these anyway, they are all over priced.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom2517
I don't think there is a "fair value" for products like these anyway, they are all over priced.

Precisely what I was thinking.

I've purchased 3 Hermes ties in the past 4? months because I really liked them. Do I think I could have found better ties for half the price? Of course I do. Do I think that Hermes goods are worth what they charge? Of course I don't. No purse is "worth" 35,000 dollars, just like no watch is worth 25 million. It's worth what it cost to make it/market it - its "price" however, is a number on a tag that someone came up with to define a profit margin and establish product exclusivity.

Fair value is a term whose meaning is COMPLETELY lost in the realm of luxury goods.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
You can get Hermes quality for much less. But you have to pay the price for the Hermes name.
I don't know about "much less", which seems an hyperbole, but certainly there are relative "bargains" to be found in lesser known atelier-type firms. The Italian brand Valextra has raised its prices to compete with Hermes.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Italian brand Valextra has raised its prices to compete with Hermes.
Funny how in luxury goods the laws of pricing and demand work in reverse.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Funny how in luxury goods the laws of pricing and demand work in reverse.
I suspect that Valextra is also trying to market its avant-garde design past to people with cerebral luxury tastes as compared to Hermes, which tends to be sort of obvious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads