Hermes wallet, scarves...fair value?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seok, Aug 24, 2006.

1. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I suspect that Valextra is also trying to market its avant-garde design past to people with cerebral luxury tastes as compared to Hermes, which tends to be sort of obvious.
    You're not talking about the dog collars, are you?

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

You're not talking about the dog collars, are you?
    That's more the area of the French. The Valextra firm revived their past designs like the 24 hour bag, which won the 1954 Compasso d'Oro. It's all rather elegantly unassuming, much like a pre-Fiat Lancia. These prizes used to mean something; now they just give it away to anyone.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

certainly there are relative "bargains" to be found in lesser known atelier-type firms.

April in Paris delivers Hermes quality at a substantially lower price-point. I don't know if Bea makes saddles but she does do auto interiors, in the event that you'd like to spruce up the Benz, LK.[​IMG]

http://www.aprilinparis.us/

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

April in Paris delivers Hermes quality at a substantially lower price-point. I don't know if Bea makes saddles but she does do auto interiors, in the event that you'd like to spruce up the Benz, LK.[​IMG] http://www.aprilinparis.us/
    I didn't know this, Tomasso. It's certainly compelling. Maybe this is the 21st century answer to coachbuilders in a way that AMG, et al. will never be.

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

[​IMG]

Agree that Hermes quality is old world, tactile, and endearing. I know a number of women who wear Hermes scarves. They can't seem to live without them. Personally, I've always found their patterns, both in scarves and ties, to be on the busy side. The leather goods, become heirlooms, upon purchase.

6. bangandolufsen

bangandolufsen New Member

Hermes leather goods are overrated in my opinion. I bought a Hermes Birkin bag , cost almost £4,000 plus there was suppose to be a 2 year waiting list, but it only took a phone call to order one, so don't believe in all the hype, it's no more than a marketing plot.
    I can honestly say the quality of the Hermes is no better than Dunhill, Chanel or LV. You really are paying for the name and exclusivity.

7. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

As far as leather bags, wallets go, I think you cannot beat quality of Bottega Veneta, the good looking sister of Gucci [​IMG] Over here its considered to be the crème de la crème and rightfully so.

And if you are in Vicenza (where I am from) BV has its home base here and has an outlet store with really good bargains to be had (considering the initial prices).

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Bottega had the best looking chain wallet I've ever seen last season...but for $750 OUCH!!

9. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

I recently (2 months ago) saw a chain-wallet in their outlet store and was selling for 150euro if I remember correctly. Yep, their prices are outrageous. I was given a mini tour of the production line (my best mate is head of production there) and he showed me a bag which was being hand braded: was going to be sold for 42,000 euro. ANother of theri bags (I didnt see it) goes for 70,000 euro [​IMG]

10. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Senior member

HermÃ[​IMG]s has a history of having the best design and quality, and yes thats true, just look at their scarfs and the leather.

I got a vintage handkercief from them, best quality, not worth the money though.

But it's not likely that a bag is worth so much, never I say.

If anything of HermÃ[​IMG]s I would buy it on ebay.

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I like some of the 'link' motif ties but still think they're vastly overpriced, and only bought them because they were significantly discounted. The 'cuddly' motif ties aren't great and I prefer other brands, Ferragamo being one.

12. summej2

summej2 Senior member

That's more the area of the French.

The Valextra firm revived their past designs like the 24 hour bag, which won the 1954 Compasso d'Oro. It's all rather elegantly unassuming, much like a pre-Fiat Lancia.

These prizes used to mean something; now they just give it away to anyone.

LabelKing, our design tastes seem to match (at least on the Valextra and the Lancia)...

In any case, the rapid price rise of Valextra is unusual. I'm not sure the experiment worked, however, because prices seem to be falling again.

Is Valextra considered equivalent in quality to Hermes?

13. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I have yet to buy one of their ties, but I am eyeing a few and I like the more ornate patterns.

14. tom2517

tom2517 Active Member

Hermes leather goods are overrated in my opinion. I bought a Hermes Birkin bag , cost almost £4,000 plus there was suppose to be a 2 year waiting list, but it only took a phone call to order one, so don't believe in all the hype, it's no more than a marketing plot.
    I can honestly say the quality of the Hermes is no better than Dunhill, Chanel or LV. You really are paying for the name and exclusivity.

I would like know where you ordered it? Thanks.

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Yes, because those three are really value-priced brands. [​IMG]

Given your username I find your last sentence highly amusing.