Hermes UES NY

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newyorker, Apr 9, 2005.

1. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I was at the Hermes store today in New York and had a good experience. Staff were helpful, polite and genuinely smiled when they assisted me. I also like their menswear quite a lot, more so than Alfred Dunhill ever since the latter have become a little eurotrashy. Hermes menswear is very tasteful and very wearable, and I am surprised that they have not been mentioned more often in this forum. Shirts were in the $300-$400 range; patterned ones were attractive and refined. I wish sophisticated fabric patterns like those are available at MTM/custom shirtmakers.

ADDENDUM: Hermes also has an art gallery at the top floor, which is rather pleasant if not for the high temperature of the space. I also stopped by Dunhill and Zegna but I was not made to feel as welcome as I was at Hermes. I felt that I was being "evaluated" at Dunhill znd Zegna, whereas the people at Hermes just seemed genuinely nice, which is so rare in high-end retail these days. Zegna had MTM suits starting at around $2k: measurements are taken, suit is made, and after that, only minor alterations are done.

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

For many, Hermes is the company you love to hate.  Given their ultra elite image, especially the snob-appeal of their ties, they're an easy target.  I know the watch aficionados in this group will shudder to hear anyone speak in admiraration of Hermes' watch offerings, especially their new Dressage collection, but I really like them.  I recognize they house a run-of-the-mill ETA movement and the markup is unconscionable, like everything else Hermes offers, but they're very tastefully designed with a simple, understated elegance.  OK, all of the WISes can now stop snickering.
    Grayson

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Gotta give 'em credit for doing such a great job with Lobb Paris. Beautiful line of RTW shoes; best bespoke shoemaker in the business. The branch office blows the original out of the water.

4. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I was also at the Peter Elliot "Outlet" store today, which was located next to Peter Elliot Blue. The place was very bare (unpainted walls, unfinished floors, one tries on clothes in a corner separated by a curtain -- without a mirror). I find it unbelievable that Peter Elliot does this without worrying about how it would affect their image, since their Peter Elliot Blue store is right next to this outlet store. It is also a little sad that this store is a little sore thumb at the wonderful upper east side neighbourhood.

5. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

By the way, knowing how much more enjoyable it is to give than to receive, one of the all-time classiest gifts for a woman is an iconic Hermes silk scarf. And, given the relatively modest prices of their scarves, at a few hundred dollars each, the quality material, amazing design work, and classic, long-lasting appeal make them one of the best buys around. Terrific perfumes, too.
    Grayson

6. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

The service at Hermes was better than that at Payard Patisserie, at which my 3pm break cost less than $10, but whose waiters displayed club-bouncer tendencies.

7. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

I think a lot of people have preconceived notions about a snooty attitude at Hermes, but the folks at Hermes realize if you knew enough to find the store and enter it (They even have a doorman to help you through), there's an excellent chance you have the good taste, and some money, to purchase their products. It would serve other stores in New York well, and restaurants, too, to subscribe to such a basic philosophy.
    Grayson

8. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Was Elliot standing on a wooden egg crate shouting about discounted prices through a megaphone as he did when I was there not too long ago? Now, that was unbelievable.
    Grayson

9. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

No one was shouting, and I don't know who Peter Elliot is. I just found it surprising that they had a very unattractive outlet store next to their main store. But to be fair to them, I was treated okay at the outlet store.

10. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Peter and Elliot are the two partners in the store. Anyway, witnessing that spectacle on the otherwise sedate Upper East Side was quite memorable.
    Grayson

11. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Amazing (given the lack of quality and value in Hermes ties) but true.

12. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Overpriced, yes. But as to durability many of mine have held up for more than 15 years (far longer in my experience than Charvet).

13. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Really? I've always found the interlinings on Hermes ties a bit limp for my personal tastes. I can't imagine them keeping a decent knot after 5-years let alone 15-years.

14. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I have Hermes ties from the late '80s that I'm still using. Some (but not all) will discolor around the area where you tie the knot. And, to be accurate, I will send them out to Tiecrafters for cleaning and relining-yes, the Tiecrafters relining is thicker than the original Hermes (but have never sent out a tie out more than once and, with very few exceptions, certainly not before 6-7 years-which is when they curl up around the edges because the lining has become twisted). I'd guess that I wear any one tie once, at most twice, a month.

15. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

Can someone explain why is a Hermes tie priced at $150 but a Hermes scarf at $350? Is it not the case that that the silk quality is similar and that it is cheaper to produce a tie than a scarf?