• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes Ties and eBay

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General inquiry regarding eBay:
Certain clothing items on eBay, which are highly prized by the small proportion of individuals who are really into such things, seem to attract lots of sellers and consequently products. Amazingly, for example, even though only one store in all of Greater Cleveland sells new Hermes ties, there are currently over 400 ties labled as Hermes on eBay and this is typical - every week. Although a large numbers of code names are listed as sellers, I'm wondering if many of these are actually the same individuals or businesses.
Almost all Hermes ties are listed as either brand new or at least in excellent, flawless condition, or with the most minor of problems mentioned. Most are presented in the same way - typically three or four photos with the expected three Hermes labels. Almost all show enough to look very authentic. Yes, I'm going by that dealer's three pages devoted to what to look for in a Hermes fake. So where do all these ties come from? What about the "new" ones?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found two spectacular ones at my thrift today.

Irv

Reaction score
I would not be at all suprised if a big percentage of them are complete fakes. They do make really good fakes these days and I got caught buying some myself a long time ago off ebay.

You can't always trust the feedback of some of the sellers either because they often don't have big sales figures or some buyers make the purchase not knowing what to really expect out of a hermes tie and then provide positive feedback when they receive it.

They may be authentic if the buyer has really high sales figures (eg. a powerseller) and they also have near perfect feedback. My advice would be to buy from these sellers only.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that last comment. With my eBay experience it would seem to me the "power sellers" are more likely to be selling a fake. If one looks at their merchandise history one generally sees a very large variety of items and the seller is not necessarily very familiar with any one designer or other details about each item. The individual who hasn't sold much or does only one or a few at a time is somewhat less likely to be selling a fake, it would seem to me.
Maybe there's really no way to generalize here. I will say, though, that when I find an obvious error in a product description it's typically from one who sells large amounts and just doesn't know much about many individual products. However, the small seller may also not know much.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay - it looks like the above was a false alarm.... It seems the label printed right into the fabric is supposed to say "soie," while the sewed-on label is supposed to say "silk." N'est-ce pas? Wonder why they heck they do it that way!??
confused.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the equestrian-related image is portrayed here?

U:\\kgoldberg\\private\\Auctiva Image Hosting.mht

I can't quite make it out. Wrote to Hermes but don't particularly expect a response.... Thanks.
eh.gif

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Link doesnt work bro. And ebay is the last place I look for Hermes ties. I Make classified ads so the elderly can read them. The elderly have tons of hermes stuff and have the huge bargains ebay never has. Old ladies with scarves and old guys with ties pop up usually. They are the ones donating this stuff too I belive. I got many other ways to scare up deals to bolster my colection though I cant share, lest people jack my ideas.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
andyinternational on eBay sells 100% real Hermes at nice prices (especially if you win the auction and don't use BIN).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads