• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hermes tie question

collegeguy88

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few questions about a Hermes tie I was given for Christmas.

1) Authenticity?
2) Approximate Value?
3) It seems thinner than most of the Brooks Brothers ties I wear (it's exactly 3.5" at the widest point, but quickly becomes thin on its way up (56" long). Why is this?
4) Do you think this would be an appropriate tie for interviews? I usually wear simple regimental stripe ties.

Thanks a lot!

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by collegeguy88
Hi,

I have a few questions about a Hermes tie I was given for Christmas.

1) Authenticity?
2) Approximate Value?
3) It seems thinner than most of the Brooks Brothers ties I wear (it's exactly 3.5" at the widest point, but quickly becomes thin on its way up (56" long). Why is this?
4) Do you think this would be an appropriate tie for interviews? I usually wear simple regimental stripe ties.

1) As far as I can tell, it appears authentic. An Hermes afficienado would know better than I.
2) Well Hermes ties retail for something like $160, but the fair market (e.g., ebay) value would be less, depending on whether it's a limited edition, etc.
3) Hermes ties are thinner. That's their style and always has been. Some folks like that particular style.
4) I would, yes. It's less conservative than a repp tie, but it appears to be okay for business.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if its authentic or not but I've never seen a pattern by Hermes like that so you may want to wait for someone more versed in Hermes than me .

The prices for Hermes is at least $130

I think its ok for business, not to flashy and its conservative

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends where you are interviewing and what profession you are in, If I was wearing this tie to an interview at a Public Relations Agency, I would be complimented on the tie.

If you are interviewing at say a corporate law firm for an associate position, that might be too radical a tie for them unless it's entertainment law.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MomoLA
There is no alpha numeric code that I see which indicates that it's not authentic. You might consider reading this when you get the chance: http://andyinternational.bigcartel.c...ine-hermes-tie.

The alpha numeric code is 816 EA, printed plain as day.

It's authentic. Hermes ties have a quality that's felt when wearing, a hard-to-define sense. I enjoy my collection.

Wear it in good health.

MomoLA

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm blind today my coworker keeps trying to show me her new eyelashes. It's a nice tie hope you enjoy it!

collegeguy88

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, helpful answers.

So what about the best knot to use with the tie? I.e. with BB's "Non-Iron Pinpoint Button-Down Slim Fit Dress Shirt" and a traditional 2 piece 2 button suit.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what about the best knot to use with the tie? I.e. with BB's "Non-Iron Pinpoint Button-Down Slim Fit Dress Shirt" and a traditional 2 piece 2 button suit.

I don't prefer button-downs with full suits, though this may be a personal preference thing. What color is your suit?

The best knot with a forward-pointing collar would probably be something small like a four-in-hand or maybe a half-windsor.

mr. magoo

Reaction score

I always use a windsor knot, except for ties like Hermes where I use a f-i-h. The thin-ness of the tie would be undone by a wider knot.

turk100

Reaction score
It is authentic, the EA is the artists initials and the numbers are the silk screen number.

Tardek

Reaction score
Looks like others have this covered.

I went looking at hermes ties two days ago myself. They're of good quality, and quite popular up the big end of town, but I'd prefer to stock my classics (repp ties and maybe a paisley) before moving on to critters etc.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40