• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes Tie Boxes

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick: I've got the preowned, authentic Hermes tie to give as a giftto the son-in-law; does anyone know of a decent source for Hermes tie boxes? I've been looking on the web, but to no avail except for one on eBay at a far greater cost than this is worth. In a pinch I'll give the tie in an orangy gift bag but a real box would have that cache.... I'm willing to pay a little but not too much. And I only need one in very good condition.
eh.gif

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Quick: I've got the preowned, authentic Hermes tie to give as a giftto the son-in-law; does anyone know of a decent source for Hermes tie boxes? I've been looking on the web, but to no avail except for one on eBay at a far greater cost than this is worth. In a pinch I'll give the tie in an orangy gift bag but a real box would have that cache.... I'm willing to pay a little but not too much. And I only need one in very good condition.
eh.gif

Why don't you go to your local Hermes shop?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We do have the one shop that has a Hermes room. I thought I might ask them, as long as I'm willing to pay something, but I am just a bit uneasy and imagine their turning me down. They've got a sizable collection of Hermes ties on perpetual display, and I'm sure they've got plenty of boxes were they to actually sell any of these ties (I never see anyone looking at them), but I just imagine the possible thinking:

How do I know it's to go with an authentic Hermes tie? If it's a fake someone may say the box is from our store, etc. - e.g. "someone's trying to put something over on someone and we don't want any part of it"....

One box per new tie we sell. Period. How would I even come up with a price?

In the remote possibility they're willing to sell me one, with their usual very high cost for one Hermes tie (rarely on sale there) they could charge a fairly steep sum for the one box. I'm not going to pay, say, $20 for a box my son-in-law may not even care to keep (I'd take it, though, but not for my Hermes ties which hang with the others).

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't know anything, but i have the feeling that they won't sell you just the box

fdbaker

Reaction score
I predict that if you explain the situation they will happily give you a box. Good customer relations, something they are known for (at least here in San Francisco).

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fdbaker
I predict that if you explain the situation they will happily give you a box. Good customer relations, something they are known for (at least here in San Francisco).
That's exactly what I was thinking. For all they know, you could be using the boxes to store your Hermes tie, and have lost one. At my local store, I'm pretty sure they would give one to me in a split second.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect that if they know you at the store you will have no problem getting a box (might be akward though, dependig on how you ask), but if they do not they may flip you off.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of once-snooty retailers are much nicer than they used to be.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have gone to many high-end shops & walked out with an empty box & shopping bag free of charge. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I have gone to many high-end shops & walked out with an empty box & shopping bag free of charge. The worst that could happen is they say no.

What was the typical conversation? "Hello, may I have a box and bag?"

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro

Many way you can ask. For example, create some short, simple situation:

"I bought a tie here last week as a gift but I spilled some coffee on the box, I am wondering if I can get another box?"

Or I would just prefer to do it straight:

"I have a very nice Hermes tie, but lost its box, can I have one, or purchase one from you guy"

Seriously, in this economy, customer services are just awesome. No sale person wants complains from customers.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro

@ Church's on Madison:

I called, said I needed a box for a pair of Chetwynds in size 12F as "the box has gone missing!". She said, no problem, come over & get one.

@ Brooks Brothers on Madison:

I called & asked for a box for a pair of Peal&Co. shoes, no explanation given. He put me on hold while he looked, came back & said yes, I have one, come by & get it.

Done.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
predict that if you explain the situation they will happily give you a box. Good customer relations, something they are known for (at least here in San Francisco).

Yeah, but this is an indy local (and outstanding) habadashery - not an official Hermes outlet.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt that they will give or even sell you the box.

Mainly because unless they can verify that you bought the tie from them in which case they will give it to you for free, the last thing they would want is authentic Hermes boxes encasing what for all they know is Knock off Hermes ties.

Also, part of the buying through an established retail venue is the packaging and service, which in essence is what you pay for buying at the aforementioned establishment.

But I guess its worth a shot.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Yeah, but this is an indy local (and outstanding) habadashery - not an official Hermes outlet.

What are you gonna lose, future father-in-law? Imagine your son-in-law trying to get a Hermes box but so afraid of asking a store, how are you gonna feel about him?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads