• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes mtm vs Tom Ford mtm

OliEmbo

Reaction score
I know on styleforum that tailors such as caraceni, huntsman, etc are more in favour, but something really gets me with these two fashion brands. In terms of quality which is actually superior in terms of made to measure?, and whom are they made by?

OliEmbo

Reaction score
and this would still apply to mtm? it's just in an article from wsj magazine it mentioned hermes' MTM suits being made in house at the paris workshop, but I cannot see this as it doesn't seem likely. :eh:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're really different styles. It all comes up to preference.

I also highly doubt Hermes MTM is made in house at their Paris workshop.

cwh812

Reaction score

I believe Hermes is made by Belvest, Tom Ford by Zegna.

Interesting. I did not know Tom Ford MTM was done by Zegna. So I could theorectically get the same quality MTM suit by going to Zegna instead and getting their highest quality MTM suit? Is the styling only available through TF though?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I did not know Tom Ford MTM was done by Zegna. So I could theorectically get the same quality MTM suit by going to Zegna instead and getting their highest quality MTM suit? Is the styling only available through TF though?

Nope... Zegna by TF is a special breed. It's better. It's made in the same factory as Zegna Couture.

Check out tuttofattoamano blog for info: http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2010/10/tom-ford.html

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never do Hermes mtm. I didn't even know people bought their suits... Hell, I'd do Ralph Lauren made to measure before Hermes. But if you had an unlimited budget and you wouldn't go bespoke with one of the best, Tom Ford made to measure would be pretty awesome.

OliEmbo

Reaction score

I would never do Hermes mtm.... Tom Ford made to measure would be pretty awesome.

Why would you not go for hermes but you would Tom Ford (provided that you didn't go bespoke, as you said)

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would you not go for hermes but you would Tom Ford (provided that you didn't go bespoke, as you said)

No one really encounters Hermes suits or sport coats, at least not on here. I didn't even know they made suits and sport coats. Out of all the fashion brands, the only one I like for quality and look are Tom Ford suits. They hit the nail on both. Most fashion brands look stupid and are cheaply made but expensive. Is there a reason to go Hermes? I don't even think I've seen one.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No one really encounters Hermes suits or sport coats, at least not on here. I didn't even know they made suits and sport coats. Out of all the fashion brands, the only one I like for quality and look are Tom Ford suits. They hit the nail on both. Most fashion brands look stupid and are cheaply made but expensive. Is there a reason to go Hermes? I don't even think I've seen one.

Hermes suits and sport coats are very well made and have a good fit. Its overcoats are particularly nice, at least I think so.

OliEmbo

Reaction score
well, as 'jayjay' said they are supposedly of good quality, as Belvest makes them, as for the MTM I'm not completely sure but perhaps they are made by the same. Also, with made to measure you can choose the lining of the jacket to be in the same style of some of their silk scarves, which I quite like the idea of. Apart from that, Tom Ford is probably better, as Zegna Couture is probably better than Belvest (I'm just guessing on this so correct me if I'm wrong). I would go bespoke but I like some of the styles that Tom Ford and Hermes carry. You can tell whether a suit is from Tom Ford because of its distinctive details, and in most cases the same goes for Hermes. I doubt that a bespoke tailor would do these small details that make Tom Ford and Hermes different from the rest (hermes scarf lining, etc)

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well, as 'jayjay' said they are supposedly of good quality, as Belvest makes them, as for the MTM I'm not completely sure but perhaps they are made by the same. Also, with made to measure you can choose the lining of the jacket to be in the same style of some of their silk scarves, which I quite like the idea of. Apart from that, Tom Ford is probably better, as Zegna Couture is probably better than Belvest (I'm just guessing on this so correct me if I'm wrong). I would go bespoke but I like some of the styles that Tom Ford and Hermes carry. You can tell whether a suit is from Tom Ford because of its distinctive details, and in most cases the same goes for Hermes. I doubt that a bespoke tailor would do these small details that make Tom Ford and Hermes different from the rest (hermes scarf lining, etc)

I'm sure its good quality... but I'm also sure it's ridiculously overpriced. And the silk scarf lining is very gimmicky and kind of silly. If you like that, then do Hermes. What do Hermes jackets look like? Any pics? What do they offer that you want? The name? The scarf lining?

Also, it seems from your post that you want people to be able to tell it's Hermes or Tom Ford. Hermes tries to make sure everyone knows its Hermes in most of their stuff with their logo, etc. I don't know about their suiting. As for Tom Ford, if you know Tom Ford, you'll know it's Tom Ford from the cut, the shoulders, the lapels, the pockets, and the buttonholes. Most people have no clue, however.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet Hermes are popular in Paris. The French generally like to stick to their ow in terms of tailoring.

RE TF and Zegna just because two or more makers use the same factory doesn't mean that they are getting the same product. The factories job is to produce the garment that the designer wants to sell. When I deal with a new factory or get samples made I develop patterns with them which are unique to me. I look at the different services they offer. Usually you are presented with a price list that consists of a base suit or shirt and then theres many extra costs. For example a factory may offer 2 or more different types of fusible for the chest piece, full canvased options may have different options as well such as horsehair or synthetic. You always get what you pay for though, if your a designer you can walk into a good factory pay top dollar by ordering the best of everything and you will get a great garment.

Last edited:

OliEmbo

Reaction score

I'm sure its good quality... but I'm also sure it's ridiculously overpriced. And the silk scarf lining is very gimmicky and kind of silly. If you like that, then do Hermes. What do Hermes jackets look like? Any pics? What do they offer that you want? The name? The scarf lining?
Also, it seems from your post that you want people to be able to tell it's Hermes or Tom Ford. Hermes tries to make sure everyone knows its Hermes in most of their stuff with their logo, etc. I don't know about their suiting. As for Tom Ford, if you know Tom Ford, you'll know it's Tom Ford from the cut, the shoulders, the lapels, the pockets, and the buttonholes. Most people have no clue, however.

it is definitely overpriced, and it's not that I would want people to know what it is, because I prefer understated clothing, if people want others to know how much money they have, they should just wear a necklace with a wad of money :D. If there was a logo on a suit (for example like gucci has done in the past) I wouldn't go near it. However, a nice interior for a jacket is always appreciated and as long as its kept on the person, probably won't be seen by anyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads