• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes mtm vs Tom Ford mtm

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum! It is nice to see a new user jump in and immediately contribute in an existing thread his point of view.
I agree largely with what you say - Hermes are 1st rate and anything with their name on is 1st rate. Even their suits belong in the upper echelons of the suiting world - their bespoke pieces have amazing quality, and their RTW pieces are pretty much on a par with many highly rated brands / bespoke makers mentioned in this forum. But that is the catch - paying $1K over even a Kiton for a conservative(ish) suit makes little or no sense to me - particularly when you can score similar quality suits by other brands that more often go on big discounts. I understand the concept that an interesting design, style or fit is worth its weight in gold (i.e. Bijan, Tom Ford, and some off the wall Versace, Gucci, Prada etc designs), but I cant get my head around why a person would sink $5K+ into a solid navy Hermes suit rather than sink $4K into some other high end lux brand offering similar. I would understand completely sinking $5K on a runway Versace or Tom Ford suit - particularly if it is very interesting or unique.
Perhaps exclusitivity may be the biggest factor here, with Hermes seen as the Rolls Royce type brand and Tom Ford / Prada / Gucci et al seen as the Ferrari brands. All luxurious, but one more exlusive than the other. My anti Hermes for $5K+ stance could be my flawed thinking however, since I dont consider exclusitivity as an important metric with clothing.
BTW, Gucci, Prada etc are not necessarily worse made than Tom Ford. The difference is Tom Ford has one high end line (as far as I know), while Prada, Gucci etc have their fingers in many pies and hence have some inconsistencies in quality (i.e. one line is $300 for a dress shirt with plastic buttons, another line $800 for a hand made dress shirt with MOP buttons). Most luxury fashion brands "can be" at a very similar well-tailored level as Tom Ford.

You have an excellent POV, and put it very well. Great, well thought out post.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You have an excellent POV, and put it very well. Great, well thought out post.

Except that there is obviously a market for Hermes clothing, they aren't hurting for sales of its clothing items. The reasons why people by Hermes, Tom Ford, or any other brand don't matter as long as there are people willing to spend whatever the asking price is for the goods.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tony Romo, why bother sharing that you would not choose Hermes if you are going to subsequently admit you have no idea what you're talking about?

This is the height of stupidity:

No one really encounters Hermes suits or sport coats, at least not on here. I didn't even know they made suits and sport coats. Out of all the fashion brands, the only one I like for quality and look are Tom Ford suits. They hit the nail on both. Most fashion brands look stupid and are cheaply made but expensive. Is there a reason to go Hermes? I don't even think I've seen one.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Also, it seems from your post that you want people to be able to tell it's Hermes or Tom Ford. Hermes tries to make sure everyone knows its Hermes in most of their stuff with their logo, etc

What? After you "didn't know they made suits and sport coats," you are saying with authority that Hermes puts their logo all over everything? (They do not; you couldn't be more wrong.) And, moreover, this applies to the suits you had never heard of and didn't know existed? (In fact, even companies that brand wallets, sweaters & sneakers with logos [almost] never do this for suits and jackets.)

Klobber, hermes is more conservative, but safer. I know this because if you watch one of the interviews with Ford he says that his designs are extremely 'current-affair' related and therefore will definitely go out of style.

Conservative MEANS safe(r). The other bit is equally self-evident.

Calm down man. The fact that I've never seen one is why I'm asking why he wants one. I'm asking him what's so special about them to pay the extra money. The fact they aren't drooled over on SF like Tom Ford shows that there probably isn't a good reason to buy it. If it was worth anywhere near the money or special for any reason, don't you think I would have seen one?

Regarding the logos, I said Hermes does this with most of their stuff but that I didn't know if their suits did too...You edited that out of my quote.

Klobber detailed my thoughts extensively.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Calm down. The fact that I've never seen one is why I'm asking why he wants one. I'm asking him what's so special about them to pay the extra money. The fact they aren't drooled over on SF like Tom Ford shows that there probably isn't a good reason to buy it. If it was worth anywhere near the money or special for any reason, don't you think I would have seen one?
Regarding the logos, I said Hermes does this with most of their stuff but that I didn't know if their suits did too...

Where's Jay-Z when you need him, to speak on behalf of Hermes suits :plain:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which offer the best breast wallet, Hermès or Tom Ford?
That is, if we assume normal breasts.
:confused:

The French use industrial grade silcone. You'll need to get them replaced.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Calm down man. The fact that I've never seen one is why I'm asking why he wants one. I'm asking him what's so special about them to pay the extra money. The fact they aren't drooled over on SF like Tom Ford shows that there probably isn't a good reason to buy it. If it was worth anywhere near the money or special for any reason, don't you think I would have seen one?
Regarding the logos, I said Hermes does this with most of their stuff but that I didn't know if their suits did too...You edited that out of my quote.

Maybe because they aren't drooled over on style forum is a good reason to buy one.

OliEmbo

Reaction score

I can completely see what you mean, and they probably aren't worth the asking price, but that's the premium of Hermes. To be fair, i haven't seen one, so the only way to judge which you prefer would be trying both of them, as in my opinion fit is priority but quality is secondly important! I guess that's the only way I'm gonna find out.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Hermes NYC at Madison Avenue offers MTM and bespoke.

I visited shortly after the new store opened. MTM goes for about $4,000-5,000. Bespoke goes for $9,000+. I did not make much inquiry about the bespoke.

I don't think that they sell that much men's custom clothing. Hermes does very well in it's ladiies RTW.

OliEmbo

Reaction score

Hermes NYC at Madison Avenue offers MTM and bespoke.
I visited shortly after the new store opened. MTM goes for about $4,000-5,000. Bespoke goes for $9,000+. I did not make much inquiry about the bespoke.
I don't think that they sell that much men's custom clothing. Hermes does very well in it's ladiies RTW.

is it just suits that hermes offer in MTM or Bespoke?

Panos

Reaction score
Let me share with you my experience.

Last month I bought two mtm TF suites, the Basic A thing. Its one costed me $5291.33 (final price including taxes)

Before buying those I did my research in Madison Av., at this point I should say that I am not a Suit expert non I am aware of all the brands that make top suits.

I went in many stores and at the end of the day I was between Hermes and TF.

I had two problems with Hermes, the first one was the staff's attitude (they were trying hardly to make me buy, in a point that I felt stressed). The second one was that they didn't have any mtm suits that I liked there. They only had some "trendy"/summer options which I didn't like much. As I couldn't find what I wanted I asked about the bespoke options, I saw the fabrics and my picks landed me at ~$5300 (probably before taxes, I don't remember) each.

Hermes suits can go really expensive with the scarf lining and other things that I don't like at all.

Then I had a word with their tailor who killed every chance, he spoke really bad for TF suits and all this conversation lead me to go away.

To be honest, my consideration was to take the one suit from Hermes as Bespoke and get the second one mtm from TF.

After this visit on Hermes, I went back to TF where I enjoyed some champagne and I ordered them.

I do like TF suits and it was a dream for me to buy one and they do look really nice (at least in my taste). BUT I am really annoyed that TF products go out on sale. Now that I learned that, I am not gonna buy again any $600 shirts or any other products on full price except maybe suits.

The policy that Hermes has (no sales) is the best in order to keep its "rich" customers, no-one want to spend 4-5-6K on suits and then to see them in 30%-40%-50% sale... 30% on the suits that I bought is $1.5K for each one.

You are suppose to make something exclusive, not something for mass distribution.. That's my point of view and that's why I thought that they are selling them on such prices.

My understanding is that TF Base A and Hermes start on the same price range.

Bespoke can go crazy high ( especially in Hermes) but there again they do start on similar level. What I was told in store, is that if you want to make bespoke a suit and choose the same fabric with the mtm TF base A suit.. you will get the same price with a small surcharge (~10%).

I didn't ask the price for the Hermes mtm as I didn't find a single one to care for. But the bespoke on the fabrics that I picked was ~5300.

Bottom line? Buy whatever you like more (suit or brand) both of them are top quality but be aware that if you buy a TF you can find the same thing after a week or a month $1K cheaper...

Last edited:

Quarks

Reaction score
Panos, I see that you are from England, no? Have you shopped at Selfridges, London? For the Base A you bought costing USD $5K is pretty much on the mid-upper end price range. I guess the prices for Tom Ford depends on what fabric you choose both RTW & MTM. I was particularly surprised when the majority of the TF suits at Selfridges (London) cost about USD $2,900 - 3,000 for both 2-piece & 3-piece RTW suits. For non-EU customers like me, minus the VAT is a bonus. Even the TF SA was commenting how customers from other parts of the world were surprised how the prices for TF suits were cheaper compared to everywhere else.

In Australia, TF is wayy over-priced (pretty much every imports are). 50% discounts on TF would still go for AUD$2,800 to $3,200 (Cost of full price TF suits in London). And good luck on finding the smaller sizes. Media has been reporting customers buying 3-6 pairs of MTM at one go, each costing north of $6K.

The disparity of TF prices across the world is mind-bending.TF 18K gold cufflinks in Hong Kong goes for AUD$2.5K ++, and in Australia, it cost almost twice the price AUD$4.5. For real? K.C.U.F.

Panos

Reaction score
I do live in Scotland and I've never been to Selfridges for shopping.

You are so right.. I called Selfridges in order to check their prices. Base A starts at £2000 = ~$3200...

I should have done my research first. I had the wrong idea that TF would be cheaper in US.

This is a 33% discount from the US prices... I could have bought a third one with the same money..

*Note, they told me that they don't stock any base B suits.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads