• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes Manufacturers

tgfny

Reaction score
John April made an interesting point about buying from Hermes manufacturers and saving some money. Who knows who makes what?

Frey Wille- enameled jewelry
Johnston's- cashmere scarves
Swaine Adeney Brigg- umbrellas
Belvest- suits
leather jackets- Seraphin
watches- Montres des Hermes (with IWA movements)
Silk scarves and ties- Ateliers AS

Duveen

Reaction score
I've heard that Heschung used to make the rubber-soled shoes at Hermes - is that still so?

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgfny
John April made an interesting point about buying from Hermes manufacturers and saving some money. Who knows who makes what?[
All I know is that Hermès is in the process of buying its manufacturers as much as it can. The majority of what they sell is now produced "in-house".

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lobb Paris doesn't make any Hermes-branded shoes I've seen. Santoni, I've heard.

As Etienne said (Etienne, forgive me, it's been crazy) Hermes tends to buy its suppliers. When it was selling Lobb Paris in its boutiques, it bought the old EG factory (after taking a stake in EG) to make the shoes in.

Its glover is the Ganterie de St-Junien, which it bought fifteen or 20 years ago and which, in any case, makes some of the best, most luxurious gloves I've ever seen. Although I'm still hunting...

I don't know who makes their shirts; someone said Charvet but the more recent Hermes shirts have been a little too spivvy to imagine being made by them, not to mention I tihnk Charvet's better quality.

I believe Mackintosh made some of their macs.

Bear in mind that these suppliers may be making the products but that Hermes can and often does specify a level of quality of materials and/or make that can surpass what these makers put out on their own. The Hermes umbrellas are quite particular, for one -- I believe they had cotton canopies.

observer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgfny
John April made an interesting point about buying from Hermes manufacturers and saving some money. Who knows who makes what?

Frey Wille- enameled jewelry
Johnston's- cashmere scarves
Swaine Adeney Brigg- umbrellas
Belvest- suits
leather jackets- Seraphin
watches- Montres des Hermes (with IWA movements)
Silk scarves and ties- Ateliers AS

swaine adeney it was reported doesnt make the umbrellas any more

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
African tribespeople make some of their sterling silver pieces, which are then finished in France.

RJ, Don't tell me that they are trying to 'insource' the tribes, too!

Demeter

Reaction score
I was also under the impression that they employ artisans in various cities around the world where they have a presence. I know there was one 'maroquinier' in Montreal in their employ until his passing recently.

Anyone have any additional info?

Antoine

Reaction score
I've just ordered a belt on www.herve-n-sellier.com. This French leather artisan has been working for Hermes for 20 years now. He makes dog collars for them. But now he has his own collection. You can order by e-mail.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antoine
I've just ordered a belt on www.herve-n-sellier.com. This French leather artisan has been working for Hermes for 20 years now. He makes dog collars for them. But now he has his own collection. You can order by e-mail.
Not bad. Please give us a report when you get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads