• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes boutiques negotiating on price?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall a post in the past about Hermes boutique SAs having the ability to negotiate on price. Is that the case and can someone either point me to the OP or tell me their experience (PM is fine)? Looking for a gift for GF and am curious whether that's a place that will haggle a bit, and if so who you need to be/name you need to drop/how much you need to have spent... THanks.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was shocked when I first saw that, but then remembered that there are still some stores (Alain Mikli in Paris comes to mind) who will negotiate small discounts if, for example, buying multiple items.

In general I've always been curious how one might broach such a subject with a sales associate so as not to look like too much of an ass if their answer is essentially "no ******* way, you're a real ass for even asking".

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highly doubt it lol

What are you planning to get for her?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Highly doubt it lol

What are you planning to get for her?

Looking at small leather goods; card cases, agenda covers or phone case (though unlikely since phone shapes change ever few years).

Of course if they were into the "quantity discount" thing I'd look at card cases myself, I've always liked theirs.

msameth

Reaction score
It's a rather flat attempt at snark. I guess you missed the punch line ('Their retail price is only an opening bid.').

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Totally not true.
Unless you are Hermes Man.

I suppose you could try haggling and negotiating if the Hermes boutique is in Asia. They might expect customers to haggle as well.

Last edited:

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
I haggled a BNWT Hermes bow tie online for a (small) discount but I then got blown away with UK import tax and ended up paying more than any RLPL for it.

My (non-Hermes) outfitter offers personalised big discounts but only because I give them good business. You'd either need mega$$$ or go bankrupt to do this with a Hermes store. Wait for Black Friday?

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a rather flat attempt at snark. I guess you missed the punch line ('Their retail price is only an opening bid.').

No, that was someone else's attempt at a joke when quoting that post, at least that was how I read it (unless both were meant in jest).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ask them about doing a special order.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed, this has worked for me in the past. "Special order" is a kind of password at any Hérmes boutqiue, which will entitle you to a haggling margin of about 10-20%, especially on multiple purchases.
Be warned, however, that experience may vary depending on your race and/or height.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe this would work out well for me; she happens to like brown more than green and we're more in the "off the rack" stage in our lives :D. However I did see the pics you posted of the wallet you ordered so it's clear that persistence does pay off!

Indeed, this has worked for me in the past. "Special order" is a kind of password at any Hérmes boutqiue, which will entitle you to a haggling margin of about 10-20%, especially on multiple purchases.
Be warned, however, that experience may vary depending on your race and/or height.

My feeling is that if "special order" is the code for negotiating that I'm not in the category of people able to negotiate ;). However multiple items may be in the cards; there's a wallet of theirs I've always liked for myself too. Still, given how much their stuff goes for I'm guessing that the combination of what I'm looking at for both of us still doesn't put us in "that" category.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads